NASA's biggest worry right now: What if something goes wrong with the Webb telescope?

Old February 24th 18, 07:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

Default NASA's biggest worry right now: What if something goes wrongwith the Webb telescope?

On Saturday, 24 February 2018 00:37:46 UTC+1, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Quadibloc wrote in news:f257d1f7-539e-415b-9feb-
:

No, summer is mild, we seldom go above 80 degrees F.

Paradise, it is.

****ing California was down into the 40s this morning. What is this
****? It doesn't get this cold here. That global warming is gonna
kill us all!

Out of the mouths of [drooling] babes. Your horizons, from your remarkably dilapidated baby buggy, do seem somewhat limited. Your ignorance of reality is as stunning as your arrogance regarding the same. Just because you have no experience of something doesn't make it unreal. I'm sorry to hear that nice Mr Trumpet still cannot affect the weather for all his drooling electorate. This despite all his election promises to fix the entire universe. Does his public absence of tax returns suggest massive NRA funding? Wasn't Capone finally brought down by his tax imbalance with reality? There's still hope.

Posted from sunny Denmark. Where temperatures are not expected to rise above freezing, day or night, for the next week or more. Cycling will continue, regardless. From tiny tot to octogenarian and well beyond. No AC/DC, please, we're British. ;-)

Old February 25th 18, 10:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris.B:
I'm shocked to hear that US
office bathrooms have no shower facilities. It must be amazingly stinky on a
warm day after all the "workers" climb out of their sweltering cars after
sitting in a grid lock for hours.

1. Some offices do have shower facilities along with gymnasiums where
one can work up a sweat.

2. American cars are air conditioned.

3. Very few people sit in gridlock for "hours" during their daily
commute.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old February 26th 18, 07:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Sunday, 25 February 2018 23:13:16 UTC+1, Davoud wrote:

1. *Some* offices do have shower facilities along with gymnasiums where
one can work up a sweat.

Are there any statistics regarding either facility being the norm?

2. American cars are air conditioned.

With a 20% increase fuel consumption. VW may differ from their claimed figures.

3. Very few people sit in gridlock for "hours" during their daily
commute.

Really? Are we talking rural driving or city driving?

The mayor of New York has asked for "blocking" drivers to no longer to be fined because the instant sanctions process was actually increasing traffic jams! Time for a flying tow truck methinks. Straight to the crusher with the offender [and his car.]

Old February 26th 18, 04:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

"Chris.B" wrote in
:

On Saturday, 24 February 2018 00:37:46 UTC+1, Jibini Kula
Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
Quadibloc wrote in
news:f257d1f7-539e-415b-9feb- :

No, summer is mild, we seldom go above 80 degrees F.

Paradise, it is.

****ing California was down into the 40s this morning. What is
this ****? It doesn't get this cold here. That global warming
is gonna kill us all!

Out of the mouths of [drooling] babes.

I know you are, but what am I?

Your horizons, from your
remarkably dilapidated baby buggy, do seem somewhat limited.

I grew up in Nebraska, where it's below zero for most of the winter
and above a hundred form ost of the summer.

That's one of the reasons I live in California.

Now go have a grown up explain to you what sarcasm is, because
you're clearly too ****ing stupid to figure it out on your own.

dumbass.

Posted from sunny Denmark.

Well, that does explain a few things.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old February 26th 18, 04:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Davoud wrote in
:

Chris.B:
I'm shocked to hear that US
office bathrooms have no shower facilities. It must be
amazingly stinky on a warm day after all the "workers" climb
out of their sweltering cars after sitting in a grid lock for
hours.

1. Some offices do have shower facilities along with gymnasiums
where one can work up a sweat.

But most don't, and have no reason to.

2. American cars are air conditioned.

And few Americans will buy a car without it.

3. Very few people sit in gridlock for "hours" during their
daily commute.

You've never lived in southern California, have you? Most do not,
it's true, but the millions of daily commuters here aren't really
"very few" by any rational definition. (Most years, we have about
five out of the ten busiest freeways in the world.)

Old February 26th 18, 04:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

"Chris.B" wrote in
:

On Sunday, 25 February 2018 23:13:16 UTC+1, Davoud wrote:

1. *Some* offices do have shower facilities along with
gymnasiums where one can work up a sweat.

Are there any statistics regarding either facility being the
norm?

2. American cars are air conditioned.

With a 20% increase fuel consumption. VW may differ from their
claimed figures.

Bull****. My car does not go from 40 mpg on the highway with air
coditionaing to 48 mpg without. In fact, I get more variation from
using the cruise control (40 mpg) or not (41 mpg) than from the AC.

You're gobbling down the greenie proganda you've been spoon fed.

3. Very few people sit in gridlock for "hours" during their
daily commute.

Really? Are we talking rural driving or city driving?

If you really need to ask that, you're even stupider than you look.
Free hint, retard: City driving is, by definition, a hell of a lot
more people than rural driving.

The mayor of New York has asked for "blocking" drivers to no
longer to be fined because the instant sanctions process was
actually increasing traffic jams!

NYC is not exactly a paradise for drivers. It's very densely
populated, with very dense employement districts, and working mass
transit (which a hell of a lot of people use). It's not at all
uncommon for New Yorkers to not own a car, or even know how to
drive one.

NYC is hardly representative of the US. Southern Ccalifornia is as
many people, and everybody drives because you cn't hold down a job
if you don't.

Time for a flying tow truck
methinks. Straight to the crusher with the offender [and his
car.]

Fairly typical mnurderous fascism from a greenie moonbat extremist.

Old February 26th 18, 05:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Bill wrote in
:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:22:06 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
Kujisalimisha wrote:

Davoud wrote in
:

[...]

I live in mid-west where not having AC is doable - but
definitely not comfortable when temps are in the upper 90's and
humidity is high. So yeah, most in my neck of the woods would
not consider owning a car w/o AC.

But So. Cal w/o AC - no way! I recall a nighttime trip across
the Mojave Desert in a car without AC when I was a kid. It felt
like we were in Hell.

I don't drive to the desert (and the Mojave is a pretty good
substitute for Hell), but my absolute criteria for a car are four
doors, four wheels, and AC. Just because I can handle wild
temperature variations doesn't mean I'm going to if it's avoidable.

Old February 26th 18, 05:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill[_9_]

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:22:06 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
wrote:

Davoud wrote in
:

[...]

Email address is a Spam trap.
Old February 26th 18, 07:12 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 15:14:30 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
wrote:
Regarding bicycling in cold weather: physical exercise keeps you
warm.

You've clearly never lived in a place that has real winter. You'll
deny it, of course, then go on to say something that will prove me
right.

Do you think Stockholm, Sweden, qualifies for a real winter? Right
now we have -10°C and 20 cm snow. Yes I've been bicycling in such
weather and know what it's like. Skiing in the city is an alternative
right now, and sometimes I also take shortcuts by skating over waters
here. Quite frequently I also skate on waters away from the city, for
recreation. In my youth I lived in some smaller cities in northern
Sweden, Härnösand and Skellefteå (you can find them on Google Maps)
where it's even colder and much more snow in winter.

Do you think that's a real winter? Or do you think there's real
winter only in central Siberia?
Old February 26th 18, 07:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:51:41 -0500, Davoud wrote:
...so why didn't the whole
world go for 110-120V in household voltage? Why did most of the

world
go for 220V (raised to 230V some decades ago) in the households?

Dunno. Maybe it's because we invented electricity and the rest of

the
world got it as a hand-me-down :-)

Actually, Europe too started around 110V, but around 1900 some power
companies near Berlin wanted to increase the power delivered to their
customers. They did so by doubling the voltage, and paid their
customers for new 220V electric appliances - they profited anyway
because they didn't have to replace the wiring. And it caught on, so
a decade or so later 220V became the new standard household voltage.
In the 1990's this was raised to 230V.