60 Minutes heads-up

Old July 3rd 05, 11:24 PM
Pat Flannery

Default 60 Minutes heads-up

60 Minutes will be doing a segment on space tourism tonight at 7pm EDT

Pat
Old July 4th 05, 02:43 AM
Rand Simberg

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:24:07 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

60 Minutes will be doing a segment on space tourism tonight at 7pm EDT

Thanks, Pat. I normally never watch it. It will be interesting to
see how they treat it.
Old July 4th 05, 02:59 AM
IDAK

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:24:07 -0500, in sci.space.history, Pat Flannery wrote:

60 Minutes will be doing a segment on space tourism tonight at 7pm EDT

Hope they don't forge anything.

Old July 4th 05, 05:37 AM
Rand Simberg

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:24:07 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

60 Minutes will be doing a segment on space tourism tonight at 7pm EDT

OK, I watched it, and it was more about Rutan and (to a lesser degree)
Branson, than about space tourism per se. Still, it was a good
treatment, with no "balancing viewpoints" from NASA (or other)
skeptics.
Old July 4th 05, 05:56 AM
Jim Oberg

A repeat from last fall...

It treated up-down flight and orbital flight as indistinguisahably
identical,
kept confusing the two, never explained the difference. A real intellectual
fraud
in that regard.

.. .

Old July 4th 05, 06:12 AM
Pat Flannery

IDAK wrote:

Hope they don't forge anything.

It was all about Burt Rutan and SpaceShipOne; Is it just me, or does Rutan spend a lot of time crying? Frankly, I don't think this rowboat has both of its oars in the water at all times.
Is it really true that 4% of all astronauts who have flown have been killed during spaceflight?
Also, I think he is completely wrong about how you would bob around on the surface of water in 1/5th G. I think you would sink into the water deeper the closer you would approach Zero G, as your floatation is based on the difference in density between your body and the water, and that would drop as you approached Zero G.

Pat
Old July 4th 05, 06:23 AM
Neil Gerace

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Also, I think he is completely wrong about how you would bob around on the
surface of water in 1/5th G. I think you would sink into the water deeper
the closer you would approach Zero G, as your floatation is based on the
difference in density between your body and the water, and that would drop
as you approached Zero G.

Your body would displace much less water in 1/5G, therefore floating higher.
The density of your body and that of the water will not change, but the
*weight* of water displaced would be much less. I think.

Old July 4th 05, 06:32 AM
Hop David

Pat Flannery wrote:

IDAK wrote:

Hope they don't forge anything.

It was all about Burt Rutan and SpaceShipOne; Is it just me, or does
Rutan spend a lot of time crying? Frankly, I don't think this rowboat
has both of its oars in the water at all times.
Is it really true that 4% of all astronauts who have flown have been
killed during spaceflight?
Also, I think he is completely wrong about how you would bob around on
the surface of water in 1/5th G. I think you would sink into the water
deeper the closer you would approach Zero G, as your floatation is based
on the difference in density between your body and the water, and that
would drop as you approached Zero G.

Pat

I believe water would have about the same density at 1/5 gee.

Wish I'd read this a little earlier so I could've watched it.

Surfing through TV channels I see a whole lot of meaningless crap on Tom
Cruise and nothing about Deep Impact .

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old July 4th 05, 08:02 AM
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:

Your body would displace much less water in 1/5G, therefore floating higher.
The density of your body and that of the water will not change, but the
*weight* of water displaced would be much less. I think.

I'm still working on this also. :-\

Pat
Old July 4th 05, 02:26 PM
Joe Strout

Pat Flannery wrote:

It was all about Burt Rutan and SpaceShipOne; Is it just me, or does Rutan
spend a lot of time crying?

I haven't seen him cry at all, though I know I would have certainly
wiped away a tear or two at my craft's first space flights, if I were
him.

Is it really true that 4% of all astronauts who have flown have been killed
during spaceflight?

I haven't run the numbers myself; hopefully a space history buff here
will confirm this. So, based only on my faith in Rutan, I'll bet
dollars to doughnuts that he is right. He's an engineer, and a
top-notch one at that; I don't think he's the sort to throw around
numbers without some basis in fact.

Also, I think he is completely wrong about how you would bob around on the
surface of water in 1/5th G. I think you would sink into the water deeper the
closer you would approach Zero G, as your floatation is based on the
difference in density between your body and the water, and that would drop as
you approached Zero G.

You also think that a satellite in GEO will be shaded by the Earth every
day (or did think so, until you were corrected here a few weeks ago).
NO, density doesn't change as you approach zero G. Weight does, and
that applies to you AND the water.

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |