Project SCORE- 50th Anniversary Celebration

Old August 31st 08, 10:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default Project SCORE- 50th Anniversary Celebration

Big Party.

December 18, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_SCORE

SCORE's technical objectives were two-fold. In addition to showing that
an Atlas missile could be put into orbit, the project demonstrated the
feasibility of transmitting messages through the upper atmosphere from
one ground station to one or more ground stations. The result of the
project, which used both realtime and store and forward techniques, was
unquestionably a major scientific breakthrough which proved that active
communications satellites could provide a means of transmitting messages
from one point to any other on the planet Earth.

SCORE, as a geo-political strategy, placed the United States at an even
technological par with the Soviet Union as a highly functional response
to the Sputnik satellites.

"This is the President of the United States speaking. Through the
marvels of scientific advance, my voice is coming to you via a satellite
circling in outer space. My message is a simple one: Through this unique
means I convey to you and all mankind, America's wish for peace on Earth
and goodwill toward men everywhere."

That should be the US message to the world WRT - the space program.

It was the first ever kerosene stage and a half to orbit spaceflight.
Old September 1st 08, 01:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Joe[_13_]

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 16:26:26 -0500, kT wrote:

[...]

What do you call the Semyorka booster for Sputnik 1,2 and 3 ?
Old September 1st 08, 01:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

Joe wrote:
What do you call the Semyorka booster for Sputnik 1,2 and 3 ?

Depends what the upper stage is.
It went from the R-7 "Semyorka"/"Sputnik" to "Luna", "Vostok" "Voskhod"
"Molniya" and "Soyuz" in that order.
Luna and Vostok used basically the same small upper stage, Then the
bigger upper stage used first by Voskhod, then in a uprated form for the
Molniya comsats, then again modified for Soyuz.
The Molniya and Soyuz variants of the rocket proved long-lived.
Old September 1st 08, 01:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Joe wrote:
[...]

Expendable boosters. Actually, SCORE was SSTO. Sorry.

Got any other semantics you want to argue? Here's how I would call it.

Since the R-7 was 4 by 1 with expendable booster tankage, I'd call it
two stage to orbit, and since the Atlas was 1 by 3 with integral tank,
call it single stage to orbit. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Stage and a half is a total cop out and rather non descriptive to boot.

My working group has developed an entire nomenclature to handle the
geometric and combinatorial analysis of launch vehicle architectures.

You'll just have to develop your own damn language and tools.
Old September 2nd 08, 10:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Joe[_13_]

You'll just have to develop your own damn language and tools.

No, idiot, I'm just using language that Charles Sheldon used. Google
him, you pathetic piece of excrement.
Old September 2nd 08, 10:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Joe[_13_]

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:48:48 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Joe wrote:
What do you call the Semyorka booster for Sputnik 1,2 and 3 ?

Depends what the upper stage is.
Of course, the Semyorka for Sputnics 1,2 and 3 had no upper stage;remember? It was a stage and a half launcher.

Old September 2nd 08, 10:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Joe wrote:

You'll just have to develop your own damn language and tools.

No, idiot, I'm just using language that Charles Sheldon used. Google
him, you pathetic piece of excrement.

Why don't you just take the time to splain it to us, cowboy.

I already explained my nomenclature and terminology for subtle nuances
of geometry, structure and composition in launch vehicle architecture.

Old September 3rd 08, 08:03 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

Joe wrote:
Depends what the upper stage is.
Of course, the Semyorka for Sputnics 1,2 and 3 had no upper stage;remember? It was a stage and a half launcher.

And it was just called the Semyorka or Sputnik booster, as it was never
used for anything like that again. The role of small satellite launching
was taken over by the SS-4 "Sandal" derived B-1 small Cosmos launch
vehicle in combination with the SS-5 "Skean" derived C-1 large Cosmos
launch vehicle. The B-1 can put 1,000 pounds into LEO, the C-1 can put
3,400 pounds into orbit. That gave the C-1 around the same payload as
the basic R-7 without upper stages at considerably lower launch cost per
mission.

Pat
Old September 3rd 08, 02:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
[email protected]

Hey does anyoner here know what search terms I should use over at the
NASA technical reports server website to find any technical PDF files
on project SCORE?