aurora?

Old November 20th 03, 12:54 PM
Gavin Whittaker

Default aurora?

Chaps,

I've been watching the apprpriate sites this morning, and there seems
to be quite a bit of auroral activity:

http://aurora.n1bug.net/

I've no idea whether it will last, but we've clear skies over large parts
of the country right now. If the activity persists, we could be in for some
pretty dramatic cloud and hailstorms tonight.

ATB, Gavin
Old November 20th 03, 03:40 PM
Anthony Stokes

"Gavin Whittaker" wrote in message
I've been watching the apprpriate sites this morning, and there seems
to be quite a bit of auroral activity:
http://aurora.n1bug.net/
I've no idea whether it will last, but we've clear skies over large

parts
of the country right now. If the activity persists, we could be in for

some
pretty dramatic cloud and hailstorms tonight.

15.30 hrs GMT
Strong auroral propagation of VHF radio stations received from throughout
the UK ( including southern and western England ) ~ and a most unusual
Canopus plot at http://www.dan.sp-agency.ca/www/rtoval.htm

Anthony ( Brentwood , Essex )

Old November 20th 03, 04:27 PM
James

"Anthony Stokes" wrote in message

"Gavin Whittaker" wrote in message
I've been watching the apprpriate sites this morning, and there seems
to be quite a bit of auroral activity:
http://aurora.n1bug.net/
I've no idea whether it will last, but we've clear skies over large

parts
of the country right now. If the activity persists, we could be in for

some
pretty dramatic cloud and hailstorms tonight.

15.30 hrs GMT
Strong auroral propagation of VHF radio stations received from throughout
the UK ( including southern and western England ) ~ and a most unusual
Canopus plot at http://www.dan.sp-agency.ca/www/rtoval.htm

The chart here http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/auro...h/rt_activity/ is
shooting up too, but its raining like a bugger here so can't see if anything
is happening or not!!
James

Old November 20th 03, 05:52 PM
Andy Lawson

"James" wrote in message

[...]

Yup.... just had a red alert warning:-

A large geomagnetic storm is in progress and could lead to aurora
being visible over most parts of the UK.

To see if the conditions remain disturbed, check our website:

http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/

Of course...... Thick cloud and peeing down!!

Andy (Oxfordshire)

Old November 20th 03, 06:19 PM
Richard

Bright, all sky aurora from Moray in Scotland. Visible from 17:35UT
and coronal. HA arc visible along the SOUTHERN horizon approx 5deg
above southern horizon. Good opportunity for observers in the south to
get a view.

Happy hunting.

Richard
57" 42' N, 3" 26' W
Moray, Scotland

Old November 20th 03, 07:54 PM
Gavin Whittaker

Trevor Appleton writted:
: What on earth has Aurora got to do with hailstorms??

Simple astrophysics:

[ (% cloud cover) * (severity of weather) ] =

k / [ (beauty of astronomical event)*(rarity of event)]

: "Gavin Whittaker" wrote in message
: ...
:
: Chaps,
:
: I've been watching the apprpriate sites this morning, and there seems
: to be quite a bit of auroral activity:
:
: http://aurora.n1bug.net/
:
: I've no idea whether it will last, but we've clear skies over large
: parts
: of the country right now. If the activity persists, we could be in for
: some
: pretty dramatic cloud and hailstorms tonight.
:
: ATB, Gavin

: ---