Great missions STS-122 & Expedition 16

Old February 17th 08, 04:32 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
BradGuth

Default Great missions STS-122 & Expedition 16

On Feb 17, 7:04 am, columbiaaccidentinvestigation
wrote:
On Feb 16, 3:51 pm, BradGuth wrote:

On Feb 16, 12:35 pm, BradGuth wrote:

On Feb 16, 9:40 am, "Joseph S. Powell, III" wrote:

"BradGuth" wrote in message
... On Feb 16, 8:53 am, "Joseph S. Powell, III" wrote:
"BradGuth" wrote in message

On Feb 16, 6:46 am, columbiaaccidentinvestigation
wrote:
Great mission so far, awesome launch, incredible space walks (great
views), and achieving a great accomplishment in space station
assembly
by adding the Columbus module to the structure. It's great to see
both
crews together, in the newly added Columbus module during today's
joint crew news conference, enjoying their work. But the best part
was just after ending the press conference both crews had a moment
of
fun play time as they spun and flipped around each other, it's great
to see such a hardworking people having fun and laughing. Great
mission and looking forward to a beautiful landing, thanks to all
the
work from the crews, and all of the people on the ground that are
making this a successful mission....

Don't forget our DoD accomplishments of testing their latest ABL, as
that too was another 100% great mission. Too bad there was never any
communications between NASA and those of our Boeing team of Phantom
Works, or those of Raytheon/TRW for that matter. It's as though DoD
and of their ABL contractors were running their own show.
. - Brad Guth

ABL - is that for Air Bourne Laser, Anti-Ballistic Laser, or something
else?

ABL = Air Borne Laser (search for Phantom Works ABL)
. - BG

My most fervent wishes are for the SBL, but unfortunately these babies don't
exist (officially).

I agree, that a fleet of such ABLs of 100 MW or better laser beam
capability is a darn good way to go, as the next best thing to any LEO
star wars defensive capability, not to mention multiple other purely
terrestrial DoD applications.

BTW, officially TWA flight 800 wasn't taken out by friendly DoD fire.

Officially the exploding TWA flight 800 simply defied the laws of
physics.

Officially we(US government) did absolutely nothing to bring about the
9/11 fiasco.

Officially we've safely landed upon, walked upon and returned from our
moon that's actually of rather pastel grays, offering 0.75 albedo in
extensive areas, and otherwise our moon is pretty much a passive sort
of place for human DNA to be for extended periods of time, as well as
being impossible to ever see or much less include Venus within any
unfiltered Kodak recorded FOV.

Officially there's no sign or any physical indications of intelligent
other life existing/coexisting on Venus.

Officially JFK was taken out by one rouge individual, and for no
apparent cold-war or NASA/Apollo related matters.

Officially our resident LLPOF warlord(GW Bush) is not after the market
share or export control of Iraq's oil, coal and natural gas.

Officially our FEMA accomplishes its job far better than any other
government or private group could muster.

Officially Steve Fossett is dead.
. - Brad Guth

I'd forgot about the matter of our officially being informed via
mainstream media and by those in charge of most everything, that Jews
supposedly didn't intentionally take out our USS LIBERTY ship and
crew, all because of what they'd just done to their 6-Day war
prisoners. Of course, long after the fact, we now officially realize
such infowar disinformation was simply another perpetrated and
mutually orchestrated lie upon lie from the very get-go.

I have another dozen or so officially published matter of facts that
seem not so truth worthy as we'd been informed. But then, when has
our government not excluded evidence or not having outright lied to
us.
. - Brad Guth- Hide quoted text -

Dude, i just started this thread to pay tribute to all the people who
make the shuttle and station programs successful, not to the off topic
discussion of the satellite shoot down.

That's odd, because I've never once suggested any such thing as "shoot
down". Why are you so into lying about what I'd said?

I'm opposed to our DoD using our shuttle as a thermal receiving target
for their ABL R&D, whereas obviously you and others of your kind don't
care if it's used as such.

Our nation's space program is
accomplishing great things and there are great people who deserve
accolades, not the stuff you have strewn together here.

That's odd, I never once said that folks weren't accomplishing their
jobs. Isn't that exactly what they're paid those big bucks and given
such benefits to do?

Is doing your job actually all that special these days? (apparently
so)

I did not
address your stuff here or previously as you tend to be over the top,
i.e. your messenger posts and a color correction of saturation of +75
will make neon signs out of any gray tones, and not reveal anything
meaningful, so your image processing work leaves something to be
desired anyway.

Say out-of-context what? "columbiaaccidentinvestigation" has what if
anything to do with honestly deductive logic?

Do you always exclude evidence if it rocks your boat?

Now brad, yesterday was the fun day for both crews,
and the today is the hatch closing day which is a little sadder, so im
not feeling too happy right now, so you might want to keep you idiotic
posts off of this thread.......

If you say the truth and nothing but the truth is "idiotic posts"
worthy, then so be it. Just like putting Christ on a stick was
another "fun day" for those faith-based rusemasters in charge, so be
it.
.. - Brad Guth
Old February 17th 08, 04:43 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station

wrote:
[...]

wow, that is some serious dribble, and no i am really not interested
in debating any thing you just stated, as it is way off topic for this
thread, and you have made my point about you needing to go over the
top. Now what i am interested in is experiments such as solar on the
Columbus module.

SOLAR payload on ISS Columbus module

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/203212main_sts122_presskit2.pdf
STS-122 The Voyage of Columbus
Press Kit
Page 42 (pdf page 46)

External Facilities: SOLAR
Apart from contributing to solar and stellar physics, knowledge of the
interaction between the solar energy flux and Earth's atmosphere is of
great importance for atmospheric modeling,
atmospheric chemistry and climatology. SOLAR, will study the sun with
unprecedented
accuracy across most of its spectral range. This is currently
scheduled to last two years. It will
be located on the Columbus External Payload Facility zenith position
(i.e., pointing away
from the Earth).
The SOLAR payload consists of three instruments complementing each
other to allow
measurements of the solar spectral irradiance throughout virtually the
whole electromagnetic
spectrum from 17 nm to 100 nm in which99% of the solar energy is
emitted. The threecomplementary solar science instruments a

SOVIM (SOlar Variable & Irradiance Moni
tor), which covers near UV, visible and thermal regions of the
spectrum (200 nm - 100 ìm) is
developed by PMOD/WRC (Davos, Switzerland) with one of the
instrument's radiometers
provided by IRM (Brussels, Belgium).

SOLSPEC (SOLar SPECctral Irradiance
measurements) covers the 180 nm 3,000 nm range. SOLSPEC is developed
by CNRS
(Verrièresle Buisson, France) in partnership with IASB/BIRA (Belgium)
and LSW
(Germany).

SOLACES (SOLar Auto Calibrating Extreme
UV/UV Spectrophotometers) measures theEUV/UV spectral regime. SOLACES
is developed by IPM (Freiburg, Germany).SOVIM and SOLSPEC are upgraded
versions of
instruments that have already accomplished several space missions.
SOLACES is a newly
developed instrument."
Old February 17th 08, 07:04 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
BradGuth

wrote:
[...]

I agree that honest science is what counts, even if the demise of
innocent folks is unavoidably required, because without such peer
replicated science we'd have next to nothing for improving the quality
of life within our caves upon this badly failing globe and polluted
environment of ours that's entirely insufficient for sustaining 1e10
souls, that is unless 90% of us are sustained as forever poor, without
our fair share of safe and clean energy that's affordable, and
otherwise kept as snookered and uneducated so that our minion
servitude duties can continue forever. Many faith-based groups have
had that same internal policy, so that their rich and powerful remain
in charge regardless of their insurmountable greed, arrogance and
repeated mistakes.

Too bad we're not allowed to realize the science truths about
surviving in extended space travels, of even surviving upon or within
our extremely nearby and unusually massive moon, about Venus or upon
dozens of other extremely good science related matters. With the
likes of brown-nosed minions going along with the mainstream status
quo, insures that there's never any remorse as to our past, present or
future. (just they way you and others of your rusemaster kind seem to
like it)
. - Brad Guth
Old February 17th 08, 07:39 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
columbiaaccidentinvestigation

On Feb 17, 10:04 am, BradGuth wrote: I agree that
[...]

Wrong, and I know where you want to go with such a post but don't even
try, as the great work done on the ISS, and shuttle microgravity lab
missions has and will contribute a great amount of knowledge as to how
to conduct safe long term human travels in space....

Bioastronautics
Bioastronautics, is study of biological adaptations the human body may
have during long term space travel, in order to make the best space
craft design for manned interplanetary missions.
Bioastronautics Road Map
http://bioastroroadmap.nasa.gov/index.jsp
Old February 17th 08, 07:52 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Feb 17, 10:39 am, columbiaaccidentinvestigation
wrote:
[...]

"Wrong" ??????

Since when have I ever been against space science or of the shared
knowledge and derived benefits that you keep ranting about?

Bioastronautics
Bioastronautics, is study of biological adaptations the human body may
have during long term space travel, in order to make the best space
craft design for manned interplanetary missions.
Bioastronautics Road Maphttp://bioastroroadmap.nasa.gov/index.jsp

Since when have I been against "Bioastronautics"???

Why are you so mainstream snookered and entirely dumbfounded past the
point of no return?

Good grief, get yourself another grip. I'm not even slightly the bad
guy here, but you're so far gone over the edge to even realize that
much. How pathetic.
.. - Brad Guth
Old February 17th 08, 09:09 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station

wrote:
[...]

Maybe you're not the bad guy, but you are the word salad guy that is
posting off topic stuff on a thread and i didn't call you bad, and you
don't need to act like im attacking you, as i asked you to stick to
the topic of this discussion. But you stated "Too bad we're not
allowed to realize the science truths about surviving in extended
space travels", and i told you are incorrect as the bioastronautics
road map can help demonstrate that long term space travel is not easy,
but were are studying the effects of microgravity on humans in the
iss, and previously with shuttle microgravity missions. And therefore
my citation was not an attack on you as you would like to
characterize, I was simply sharing information, and correcting you.

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/191855main_exp16_press_kit.pdf
Expedition 16 Press Kit
Page 64, pdf 66

"Human Life Science Investigations
Physical measurements of Expedition 16 crew members will be used to
study changes in the body caused by living in microgravity. Continuing
and new experi-ments include:
Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Control on Return from ISS (CCISS)
stud-ies the effects of long-duration spaceflight on crew members'
heart functions and blood vessels that supply the brain. Learn-ing
more about the cardiovascular and cerebrovascular systems could lead
to spe-cific countermeasures that might better pro-tect future space
travelers.

ELaboratore Immagini Televisive - Space 2 (ELITE-S2) will investigate
the connection between brain, visualization and motion in the absence
of gravity. By recording and analyzing the three-dimensional motion of
astronauts, this study will help engineers apply ergonomics into
future spacecraft designs and determine the effects of weightlessness
on breathing mechanisms for long-duration missions. This experiment is
a cooperative effort with the Italian Space Agency, ASI.

Spaceflight-Induced Reactivation of Latent Epstein-Barr Virus (Epstein-
Barr) performs tests to study changes in the human immune function.
Using blood and urine samples collected from crew mem-bers before and
after spaceflight, the study will provide insight for possible counter-
measures to prevent the potential develop-ment of infectious illness
in crew members during flight.

Hand Posture Analyzer (HPA) examines the way hand and arm muscles are
used differently during grasping and reaching tasks in microgravity.
Measurements are compared to those taken before and after flight to
improve understanding of the effects of long-duration missions on
muscle fatigue.

Behavioral Issues Associated with Isola-tion and Confinement: Review
and Analysis of Astronaut Journals (Jour-nals) is studying the effect
of isolation by using surveys and journals kept by the crew. By
quantifying the importance of dif-ferent behavioral issues in crew
members, the study will help NASA design equipment and procedures to
allow astronauts to best cope with isolation and long-duration
spaceflight.

Nutritional Status Assessment (Nutri-tion) is NASA's most
comprehensive in-flight study to-date of human physiologic changes
during long-duration spaceflight. Its measurements will include bone
metabolism, oxidative damage, nutritional assessments and hormonal
changes. This study will impact both the definition of nutri-tional
requirements and development of food systems for future space
exploration missions to the moon and beyond. This experiment also will
help researchers un- derstand the impact of countermeasures -- exercise
and pharmaceuticals -- on nutri-tional status and nutrient requirements
for astronauts.

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration Biological Specimen
Repository (Repository) is a storage bank used to maintain biological
specimens over extended periods of time and under well-controlled
conditions. Samples from the sta-tion -- including blood and urine --
will be collected, processed and archived during the pre-flight, in-
flight and post-flight phases of the missions. This investigation has
been developed to archive biological samples for use as a resource for
future spaceflight research.

Sleep-Wake Actigraphy and Light Expo-sure During Spaceflight-Long
(Sleep-Long) examines the effects of spaceflight and ambient light
exposure on the sleep-wake cycles of the crew members during long-
duration stays on the space station.

Stability of Pharmacotherapeutic and Nutritional Compounds (Stability)
studies the effects of radiation in space on complex organic
molecules, such as vitamins and other compounds in food and medicine.
This could help researchers develop more stable and reliable
pharmaceutical and nutritional countermeasures suitable for fu-ture
long-duration missions."
Old February 18th 08, 12:13 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
BradGuth

wrote:
[...]

You don't have to convince me that open space travel on behalf of
human DNA surviving isn't going to be extremely tough if not nearly
impossible unless a substantial degree of shielding can be taken along
for the ride.

Given a suitable pressure vessel as ones spacecraft, along with all
the essential beer, pizza and whatever fuel(s) as thrust and survival
related energy, whereas it's all sort of pointless if the frail human
DNA within this craft is getting badly gamma and hard-X-ray
traumatized and/or damaged beyond the point of no return, not to
mention their continually having to avoid those pesky 30+ km/s impacts
with whatever space debris, that which simply hasn't quite been
figured out any better than how to go about making such impact repairs
while continually on the fly (there's only so much that you can
accomplish with ductape).

Once human DNA has evolved and/or having been intelligently redesigned
as either rad-hard or fully repairable, whereas all sorts of space
travel possibilities come to light. However, upon going to/from Venus
isn't nearly as bad off as going the other way, or far worse being
parked within the Earth-Moon L1, and of otherwise surviving via
applied technology upon the surface of Venus is actually quite good
compared to most every other known planet or moon.

We humans have adapted to surviving with 10+ tonnes/m2 of atmospheric
shielding, plus having an extremely powerful magnetosphere on top of
that, and even though mother Earth is always covering our
backside(sort of speak) it's still found as insufficient for safely
protecting our frail DNA.

At least Venus offers terrific atmospheric shielding from whatever
solar and cosmic gauntlet, it's almost impossible for a meteor to
hardly dent much of anything, and having unlimited local energy to
burn(sort of speak) are just a few of the local advantages, not to
mention that Venus gets to within 100X the distance of our moon every
19 months.

What is it about your "Bioastronautics" that can't possibly cope with
what Venus has to offer?
.. - Brad Guth
Old February 18th 08, 01:29 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
columbiaaccidentinvestigation

On Feb 17, 3:13 pm, BradGuth wrote:"You don't
have to convince me..."

laughing, im not trying to, and wouldn't want to, as you are playing
the same games as usual.

Here is a link to the page that lists iss experiments by expedition.
(starts with 17 so you need to scroll down to the expedition 16
experiments.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/st...dition.html#16
Old February 18th 08, 01:44 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
BradGuth

On Feb 17, 4:29 pm, columbiaaccidentinvestigation
wrote:
On Feb 17, 3:13 pm, BradGuth wrote:"You don't
have to convince me..."

laughing, im not trying to, and wouldn't want to, as you are playing
the same games as usual.

Here is a link to the page that lists iss experiments by expedition.
(starts with 17 so you need to scroll down to the expedition 16
experiments.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/st...iments/Expedit...

Ever notice how others that always claim as being all-knowing are not
bothering to contribute to your silly rants?

You and William Mook should sleep together, especially since you're
each one of an equal mindset kind, of the exact same feather and all
of that right stuff.

TRW/Raytheon GSO = 2e3 Sv/year as shielded by 5/16" aluminum, and
that's obviously with mother Earth always blocking some of that cosmic
trauma. Of course outside of our magnetosphere it should be a little
better off, especially without that nearby gamma and X-ray saturated
moon within sight or passing by so often.
.. - Brad Guth
Old February 18th 08, 03:10 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Joseph S. Powell, III" wrote in message
ABL - is that for Air Bourne Laser, Anti-Ballistic Laser, or something
else?

Anti-Brad laser