....Burt Rutan RIPS the "Vision" in recent speech... 05-06-07

Old May 24th 07, 02:16 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Jonathan

Default ....Burt Rutan RIPS the "Vision" in recent speech... 05-06-07

Aviation Visionary Burt Rutan on Inspiring Space Development
Sun, 05/06/2007 - 9:16am - LiftportEnergy

"I'd like to start off by saying...Houston we have a problem"

"We're entering a second generation of 'no progress' in terms
of manned space flight, in fact, we've regressed"

"We're going back to the moon...and very specifically planned
not to learn anything new. I'm really troubled by that"

.....Burt Rutan

Video stream of his speech.
http://www.liftportenergy.com/?q=avi...ce-development

Old May 24th 07, 02:21 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:16:39 -0400, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Aviation Visionary Burt Rutan on Inspiring Space Development
Sun, 05/06/2007 - 9:16am - LiftportEnergy

"I'd like to start off by saying...Houston we have a problem"

"We're entering a second generation of 'no progress' in terms
of manned space flight, in fact, we've regressed"

"We're going back to the moon...and very specifically planned
not to learn anything new. I'm really troubled by that"

....Burt Rutan

Video stream of his speech.
http://www.liftportenergy.com/?q=avi...ce-development

So?

What's your point?
Old May 24th 07, 02:35 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Jonathan

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:16:39 -0400, in a place far, far away,
"Jonathan" made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Aviation Visionary Burt Rutan on Inspiring Space Development
Sun, 05/06/2007 - 9:16am - LiftportEnergy

"I'd like to start off by saying...Houston we have a problem"

"We're entering a second generation of 'no progress' in terms
of manned space flight, in fact, we've regressed"

"We're going back to the moon...and very specifically planned
not to learn anything new. I'm really troubled by that"

....Burt Rutan

Video stream of his speech.

http://www.liftportenergy.com/?q=avi...n-inspiring-sp

ace-development

So?

What's your point?

Well...eh hum...it would be that the "Vision" is a bad policy
and why. Tom Hanks said pretty much the same thing.
Was does it take, doesn Werner Von Braun have to rise
from the dead and say it too?

It's bad policy, a bad idea, and it's been corrupted to boot.
We should be talking about how to change it, and to what.

But I guess in your old fashioned view of the world there's
really nothing we can do to stop the big corporations
and powerful politicians from doing whatever they want.
So I guess we should tag along, and not make a fuss.

The problem is that in the new world, with the internet the
way it is, holding onto a bad idea is very risky.
As these days, the better idea has a way.

Old May 24th 07, 02:44 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:35:47 -0400, in a place far, far away,
[...]

What Burt said had nothing to do with the "Vision." It was a
criticism of ESAS, which I share.

So, again, what's your point?
Old May 24th 07, 03:02 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Jonathan

http://www.liftportenergy.com/?q=avi...an-inspiring-s

ace-development

So?

What's your point?

Well...eh hum...it would be that the "Vision" is a bad policy
and why.

What Burt said had nothing to do with the "Vision."

He said the Vision is a fifty year program that is specifically
designed to learn nothing new. That is a condemnation
of the overall goal or idea behind the Vision.
Not about the technology.

It was a
criticism of ESAS, which I share.

About ESAS, he's called it stupid, of making no sense
likened it to archeology.
http://www.space.com/adastra/adastra...an_060504.html

So yes, he also has bad things to say about the technology.
But I was referring to the goal.

So, again, what's your point?

Well....eh hum, that it's not only bad policy, but as you
just pointed out, ALSO bad technology.

Thanks!

Old May 24th 07, 03:52 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:02:18 -0400, in a place far, far away,
[...]

If he said that, he's full of ****. He doesn't even know what the
"Vision" is.

It was a
criticism of ESAS, which I share.

About ESAS, he's called it stupid, of making no sense
likened it to archeology.
http://www.space.com/adastra/adastra...an_060504.html

I agree with that. But that's ESAS, not VSE.
Old May 24th 07, 11:32 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
George[_1_]

"Jonathan" wrote in message

[...]

"The budget forecast [for NASA] is to go out and spend hundreds of billions
of dollar to go to Mars and yet you don't have the courage to go back to
the Hubble ... it looks like you got the wrong guys doing it," Rutan
concluded.

Umm, since they've decided to go back to Hubble with the Shuttle, I fail to
see his point.

George

Old May 24th 07, 12:03 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

George wrote:
Umm, since they've decided to go back to Hubble with the Shuttle, I fail to
see his point.

It's on top of his house.

Pat
Old May 24th 07, 02:31 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
kert

It was a
criticism of ESAS, which I share.

About ESAS, he's called it stupid, of making no sense
likened it to archeology.
http://www.space.com/adastra/adastra...an_060504.html

I agree with that. But that's ESAS, not VSE.

Watch the video, its great fun. Rutan is a fun speaker. While one
might not agree with everything he says, he has lots of interesting
points and he expresses them well.

His critiquie isnt aimed at VSE, he never mentions this specifically,
basically his views pretty much align with goals of VSE. He critizices
lack of progress in space technology, which is tied to ESAS.

-kert

Old May 24th 07, 03:23 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.station
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On 24 May 2007 06:31:36 -0700, in a place far, far away, kert
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

It was a
criticism of ESAS, which I share.

About ESAS, he's called it stupid, of making no sense
likened it to archeology.
http://www.space.com/adastra/adastra...an_060504.html

I agree with that. But that's ESAS, not VSE.

Watch the video, its great fun. Rutan is a fun speaker. While one
might not agree with everything he says, he has lots of interesting
points and he expresses them well.

If that's the speech he gave at the ISDC in LA last year, I was in
attendance.