Armadillo Aerospace drop test

Old July 16th 03, 05:15 AM
Scott Lowther

Default Armadillo Aerospace drop test

OM wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:28:28 -0700, Scott Lowther
wrote:

Moral of the story: a few people working fast and cheap can do amazing
things with minimal documentation.

...Gee, thanks Scott. I now have this picture of the X-Prize being won
by a bunch of inbred, greasy, blue-collar high school dropout shade
tree mechanics :-P

Don't count 'em out. Rockets aren't hard if you have time and real
estate. Your description would be of just the right people, if they're
properly motivated.

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer

"Any statement by Edward Wright that starts with 'You seem to think
that...' is wrong. Always. It's a law of Usenet, like Godwin's."
- Jorge R. Frank, 11 Nov 2002
Old July 16th 03, 06:51 AM
OM

wrote:

Moral of the story: a few people working fast and cheap can do amazing
things with minimal documentation.

...Gee, thanks Scott. I now have this picture of the X-Prize being won
by a bunch of inbred, greasy, blue-collar high school dropout shade
tree mechanics :-P

Don't count 'em out. Rockets aren't hard if you have time and real
estate. Your description would be of just the right people, if they're
properly motivated.

"Hey Gomer! You sure you know what you're doin' with that there solid
rocket fuel?"

"Yep, I sure do, Goober. I learned all about how to mix this here
stuff together when I was in the Yoo-nited States Marine Corps, and
when I'm finished, we'll strap those three rockets on the side of that
tanker rig that Barney impounded and get ready to send Andy into
orbit!"

"And if that works, he's goin' to the Moon? F'Real?"

"Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!"

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 16th 03, 10:27 PM
sanman

(Henry Spencer) wrote in message ...

People have been hot on the trail of PDEs for a very, very long time.
See, for example, the PDE paper in the May 1957 issue of the ARS Journal.

A cynic would say that half a century of getting no useful results is
plenty of data from which to extrapolate the probable rate of further
progress...

Well, does anyone know what the current state of affairs is for PDEs
right now? I'd read that single-detonation tests have been done
successfully, but it's the repeat-cycle detonations that haven't been
reached yet.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/AERO/base/pdet.htm

The webpage above says:

"High frequency (60 Hz) pulse detonation combustors have been
developed over the past 5 years by several commercial firms and
government laboratories in configurations consistent with aerospace
propulsion applications."

But what's the difference between Pulse Detonation Combustors and
Pulse Detonation Engines? What do you have to do, to go from a Pulse
Detonation Combustor to a Pulse Detonation Engine? Are these PDCs
something that you can buy and convert into PDEs? How much does a
commercial PDC cost? How big are these things?