Our Strategic Forces in 1971.

Old August 23rd 06, 08:13 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Our Strategic Forces in 1971.

neopeius wrote:

This all seems rather silly. I've got books which have the numbers
year by year from 1945 onwards.

Not for long, you don't.

The Department Of Homeland Security :-)
Old August 23rd 06, 08:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Ed Kyle wrote:

This is so stupid. I hope they don't come for my copy of
David Stumpf's excellent "Titan II". It says, right there on
page 52 with no "CLASSIFIED" stamps on the page, that
108 operational Titan II missiles were built during the
program.

Yeah? And I'll bet you keep it right next to your copy of the KORAN,
don't you?
DON'T YOU?!
DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION INTO ARABIC, YOU DAMNED SLEEPER CELL TRAITOR!
YES, or NO?

The Department Of Homeland Security :-)
Old August 23rd 06, 08:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Chuck Stewart wrote:

... 108 operational Titan II missiles were built during the
program. In Chapter 5, Stumpf describes in detail how
these missiles were used to support a ready-to-fire system
that initially included 54 operational silos at three bases,
with each missile carrying a massive multi-megaton (how
many megatons is actually still classified, I think) W-53
warhead.

9 megatonns.

There are several sources on the net, but
Carey Sublette's Nuclear Weapons Archive
is a very good start:

That web address is a CLASSIFIED matter!
Carey Al-Iban Mohammed Sublette will soon be dealt with!
DON'T YOU BE NEXT!

The Department Of Homeland Security :-)

Old August 23rd 06, 07:10 PM posted to sci.space.history
NoBody Here

On 22 Aug 2006 20:11:59 -0700, "Ed Kyle" wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:
So you wonder what our Strategic Forces consisted of in 1971? How many
Minutemen, how many Titan IIs, how many B-52s?
Well.... you might have it in a book somewhere, as at the time these
were publicly known figures, freely disseminated.
But not any more...this data has now been reclassified. This isn't
closing the gate after the horse has escaped, this is closing the gate
after the horse's great-grandfoals have long been turned into glue:

This is also kind of fun: http://www.dickdestiny.com/blog/2006/08/dept.html

Pat

This is so stupid. I hope they don't come for my copy of
David Stumpf's excellent "Titan II". It says, right there on
page 52 with no "CLASSIFIED" stamps on the page, that
108 operational Titan II missiles were built during the
program. In Chapter 5, Stumpf describes in detail how
these missiles were used to support a ready-to-fire system
that initially included 54 operational silos at three bases,
with each missile carrying a massive multi-megaton (how
many megatons is actually still classified, I think) W-53
warhead. 52 silos were still active in 1981 when the
decision was made to retire Titan II.

Says in Chapter 6 that by 1971-ish there would have been
52 Titans and 1,000 Minuteman ICBMs, with more than
2,000 total warheads to handle something similar to the
the 1,060 USSR aim points that were spelled out in 1960.

Will they come for me now? Well, I suppose I shouldn't
start worrying unless Mr. Stumpf and his publisher
"disappear".

- Ed Kyle

Or better yet Chuck Hansen's stuff. I wonder if they'll make them
close his site down (yes I know he's dead. No the black helicopter
people didn't kill him- at least that's what they want me to think ;-)
)