Flash Blinded By Green Laser

Old January 8th 05, 02:30 AM
Mij Adyaw

The problem is that high school kids have access to the laser pointers
whereas they do not have access to rifles.

"Dennis Woos" wrote in message
Not likely at all.

Didn't say it was LIKELY.

But I think it's an interesting point to ponder... And I wouldn't find
fault with the pilot, should that very unlikely occurrence actually
happen...

You see, these things rarely happen accidentally... They happen because
some folks will inevitably DELIBERATELY point their lasers at airplanes,
just to see what happens... You can say that's not true, but if you do,
you are deluding yourself...

That's not to say that these devices are dangerous. But they ARE quite
capable of distracting a pilot. If you doubt that, well, I think you
need
a refresher course in reality...

--
Jan Owen

I think that we are, or soon will be, talking about banning/outlawing
green
laser pointers because it is possible, though not likely, that they can be
used to *distract* a pilot. On the other hand, .50 cal. sniper rifles
accurate to 2000 yards and which fire armour piercing ammunition can be
legally purchased, and are infinitely more capable of bringing down a
plane.
In fact, a .22 cal. rifle is infinitely more capable. I think that the
.50
cal. would be *much* more *distracting*. Wouldn't we be lucky if would-be
evil doers only had access to green laser pointers, instead of firearms.

That folks are so easily caught up in this hysteria amazes me. I wonder
how
many years will have to pass before I can look back on this bizarre
episode
as funny, rather than troubling.

Dennis

Old January 8th 05, 02:36 AM
Florian

The problem is that high school kids have access to the laser pointers=20
whereas they do not have access to rifles.

Depends what state they live in. Hunting/shooting by adolescents is=20
common in certain states.

-Florian

Old January 8th 05, 03:07 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 18:30:31 -0800, "Mij Adyaw" wrote:

The problem is that high school kids have access to the laser pointers
whereas they do not have access to rifles.

You obviously don't live in Colorado. I know more kids (some younger than high
school) with rifles than I do kids with green laser pointers.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 8th 05, 03:21 AM
Dennis Woos

You obviously don't live in Colorado. I know more kids (some younger than
high
school) with rifles than I do kids with green laser pointers.

Ditto here in VT.

Dennis

Old January 8th 05, 03:34 AM
Mij Adyaw

It is surprising that there is not a problem with kids pointing the rifles
at airliners. Kids and guns do not mix and cannot be trusted. I assume that
the parents know that the kids have the rifles?

Old January 8th 05, 03:56 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:34:23 -0800, "Mij Adyaw" wrote:

It is surprising that there is not a problem with kids pointing the rifles
at airliners. Kids and guns do not mix and cannot be trusted. I assume that
the parents know that the kids have the rifles?

Of course- where do you think the kids get rifles? At least in the cases of the
kids I know, the privilege of having a firearm comes with training and the sure
knowledge that a high level of responsibility is expected. Abuse is rare.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old January 8th 05, 04:24 AM
David G. Nagel

Mij Adyaw wrote:

It is surprising that there is not a problem with kids pointing the rifles
at airliners. Kids and guns do not mix and cannot be trusted. I assume that
the parents know that the kids have the rifles?

"Dennis Woos" wrote in message

You obviously don't live in Colorado. I know more kids (some younger than

high

school) with rifles than I do kids with green laser pointers.

Ditto here in VT.

Dennis

Who says that kids and guns (actually rifles) don't mix. I would trust
most kids from hunting states with a rifle than most of the people
complaining here about lasers with either.

Dave Nagel
Old January 8th 05, 06:07 AM
Dennis Woos

"Mij Adyaw" wrote in message
It is surprising that there is not a problem with kids pointing the rifles
at airliners. Kids and guns do not mix and cannot be trusted. I assume

that
the parents know that the kids have the rifles?

Firearms, whether possessed by kids or adults, are not a problem in VT. I
think this is because they are used for hunting, and hunting safety is
something that folks seem to take pretty seriously. I wish that people
drove their vehicles with as much care - they scare me a lot more.

Dennis

Old January 8th 05, 09:39 AM
Jon Isaacs

Of course- where do you think the kids get rifles? At least in the cases of
the
kids I know, the privilege of having a firearm comes with training and the
sure
knowledge that a high level of responsibility is expected. Abuse is rare.

It probably depends on where you live. I never had a toy gun. I had my first
gun, a .22 at the age of 7. I was taught how to use and respect it.

As to whether abuse is rare, I only have to look at the road signs on the way
to my favorite observing spot which happens to be in a National Forest and a NO
SHOOTING area.

The street signs are riddled with bullet holes, there are empty cartridges on
ground anywhere I walk...

Jon