Daily Report #4637

Old June 23rd 08, 12:34 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4637

DAILY REPORT***** #4637

PERIOD COVERED: 5am June 20 - 5am June 23, 2008 (DOY
172/0900z-175/0900z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8795

NICMOS Post-SAA Calibration - CR Persistence Part 6

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

WFPC2 11235

HST NICMOS Survey of the Nuclear Regions of Luminous Infrared Galaxies
in the Local Universe

At luminosities above 10^11.4 L_sun, the space density of far-infrared
selected galaxies exceeds that of optically selected galaxies. These
`luminous infrared galaxies' {LIRGs} are primarily interacting or
merging disk galaxies undergoing enhanced star formation and Active
Galactic Nuclei {AGN} activity, possibly triggered as the objects
transform into massive S0 and elliptical merger remnants. We propose
NICMOS NIC2 imaging of the nuclear regions of a complete sample of 88
L_IR 10^11.4 L_sun luminous infrared galaxies in the IRAS Revised
Bright Galaxy Sample {RBGS: i.e., 60 micron flux density 5.24 Jy}.
This sample is ideal not only in its completeness and sample size, but
also in the proximity and brightness of the galaxies. The superb
sensitivity and resolution of NICMOS NIC2 on HST enables a unique
opportunity to study the detailed structure of the nuclear regions,
where dust obscuration may mask star clusters, AGN and additional
nuclei from optical view, with a resolution significantly higher than
possible with Spitzer IRAC. This survey thus provides a crucial
component to our study of the dynamics and evolution of IR galaxies
presently underway with Wide-Field, HST ACS/WFC and Spitzer IRAC
observations of these 88 galaxies. Imaging will be done with the F160W
filter {H-band} to examine as a function of both luminosity and merger
stage {i} the luminosity and distribution of embedded star clusters,
{ii} the presence of optically obscured AGN and nuclei, {iii} the
correlation between the distribution of 1.6 micron emission and the
mid- IR emission as detected by Spitzer IRAC, {iv} the evidence of
bars or bridges that may funnel fuel into the nuclear region, and {v}
the ages of star clusters for which photometry is available via
ACS/WFC observations. The NICMOS data, combined with the HST ACS,
Spitzer, and GALEX observations of this sample, will result in the
most comprehensive study of merging and interacting galaxies to date.

WFPC2 11233

Multiple Generations of Stars in Massive Galactic Globular Clusters

This is a follow-up to recent HST imaging of NGC 2808, which
discovered that its main sequence is triple, with three well-separated
parallel branches {Fig.~1}. Along with the double MS of Omega
Centauri, this challenges the long-held paradigm that globular
clusters are simple, single stellar populations. The cause of this
main sequence multiplicity in both clusters is likely to be
differences in helium abundance, which could play a fundamental role
in the understanding of stellar populations. We propose to image seven
more of the most massive globular clusters, to examine their main
sequences for indications of splitting.

FGS 11211

An Astrometric Calibration of Population II Distance Indicators

In 2002 HST produced a highly precise parallax for RR Lyrae. That
measurement resulted in an absolute magnitude, M{V}= 0.61+/-0.11, a
useful result, judged by the over ten refereed citations each year
since. It is, however, unsatisfactory to have the direct,
parallax-based, distance scale of Population II variables based on a
single star. We propose, therefore, to obtain the parallaxes of four
additional RR Lyrae stars and two Population II Cepheids, or W Vir
stars. The Population II Cepheids lie with the RR Lyrae stars on a
common K-band Period-Luminosity relation. Using these parallaxes to
inform that relationship, we anticipate a zero-point error of 0.04
magnitude. This result should greatly strengthen confidence in the
Population II distance scale and increase our understanding of RR
Lyrae star and Pop II Cepheid astrophysics.

WFPC2 11206

At the Cradle of the Milky Way: Formation of the Most Massive Field
Disk Galaxies at z1

We propose to obtain 2 orbit WFPC2 F814W images of a sample of the 15
most massive galaxies found at $1 z 1.3$. These were culled from
over 20,000 Keck spectra collected as part of DEEP and are unique
among high redshift massive galaxy samples in being kinematically
selected. Through a recent HST NICMOS-2 imaging program {GO-10532}, we
have confirmed that these galaxies have regular stellar disks, and
their emission line kinematics are not due to gradients from merging
components. These potentially very young galaxies are likely
precursors to massive local disks, assuming no further merging. The
proposed WFPC2 and existing NIC-2 data provide colors, stellar masses,
and ages of bulge and disk subcomponents, to assess whether old
stellar bulges and disks are in place at that time or still being
built, and constrain their formation epochs. Finally, this sample will
yield the first statistically significant results on the $z 1$
evolution of the size-velocity-luminosity scaling relations, for
massive galaxies at different wavelengths, and constrain whether this
evolution reflects stellar mass growth, or passive evolution, of
either bulge or disk components.

WFPC2 11202

The Structure of Early-type Galaxies: 0.1-100 Effective Radii

The structure, formation and evolution of early-type galaxies is still
largely an open problem in cosmology: how does the Universe evolve
from large linear scales dominated by dark matter to the highly
non-linear scales of galaxies, where baryons and dark matter both play
important, interacting, roles? To understand the complex physical
processes involved in their formation scenario, and why they have the
tight scaling relations that we observe today {e.g. the Fundamental
Plane}, it is critically important not only to understand their
stellar structure, but also their dark-matter distribution from the
smallest to the largest scales. Over the last three years the SLACS
collaboration has developed a toolbox to tackle these issues in a
unique and encompassing way by combining new non-parametric strong
lensing techniques, stellar dynamics, and most recently weak
gravitational lensing, with high-quality Hubble Space Telescope
imaging and VLT/Keck spectroscopic data of early-type lens systems.
This allows us to break degeneracies that are inherent to each of
these techniques separately and probe the mass structure of early-type
galaxies from 0.1 to 100 effective radii. The large dynamic range to
which lensing is sensitive allows us both to probe the clumpy
substructure of these galaxies, as well as their low-density outer
haloes. These methods have convincingly been demonstrated, by our
team, using smaller pilot-samples of SLACS lens systems with HST data.
In this proposal, we request observing time with WFPC2 and NICMOS to
observe 53 strong lens systems from SLACS, to obtain complete
multi-color imaging for each system. This would bring the total number
of SLACS lens systems to 87 with completed HST imaging and effectively
doubles the known number of galaxy-scale strong lenses. The deep HST
images enable us to fully exploit our new techniques, beat down
low-number statistics, and probe the structure and evolution of
early-type galaxies, not only with a uniform data-set an order of
magnitude larger than what is available now, but also with a fully
coherent and self-consistent methodological approach!

WEPC2 11196

An Ultraviolet Survey of Luminous Infrared Galaxies in the Local
Universe

At luminosities above 10^11.4 L_sun, the space density of far-infrared
selected galaxies exceeds that of optically selected galaxies. These
Luminous Infrared Galaxies {LIRGs} are primarily interacting or
merging disk galaxies undergoing starbursts and creating/fueling
central AGN. We propose far {ACS/SBC/F140LP} and near {WFPC2/PC/F218W}
UV imaging of a sample of 27 galaxies drawn from the complete IRAS
Revised Bright Galaxy Sample {RBGS} LIRGs sample and known, from our
Cycle 14 B and I-band ACS imaging observations, to have significant
numbers of bright {23 B 21 mag} star clusters in the central 30
arcsec. The HST UV data will be combined with previously obtained HST,
Spitzer, and GALEX images to {i} calculate the ages of the clusters as
function of merger stage, {ii} measure the amount of UV light in
massive star clusters relative to diffuse regions of star formation,
{iii} assess the feasibility of using the UV slope to predict the
far-IR luminosity {and thus the star formation rate} both among and
within IR-luminous galaxies, and {iv} provide a much needed catalog of
rest- frame UV morphologies for comparison with rest-frame UV images
of high-z LIRGs and Lyman Break Galaxies. These observations will
achieve the resolution required to perform both detailed photometry of
compact structures and spatial correlations between UV and redder
wavelengths for a physical interpretation our IRX-Beta results. The
HST UV data, combined with the HST ACS, Spitzer, Chandra, and GALEX
observations of this sample, will result in the most comprehensive
study of luminous starburst galaxies to date.

NIC3 11147

The Origin of Diffuse UV Light from Spiral Disks

The ultraviolet light from galaxies has been used as a beacon for
tracing the cosmic star formation history of the Universe, yet we have
an incomplete understanding of many characteristics of this light.
Most of the UV emission from nearby, normal star--forming galaxies is
unresolved and "diffuse", and GALEX has shown that in spiral disks it
permeates the inter-arm regions. The nature of this diffuse inter- arm
component is under debate. Recent results suggest that it may arise
from non- ionizing UV photons which originate in star forming regions
in the spiral arms, travel in the plane of the galaxy, and then
scatter off of diffusely distributed cold dust grains. Alternatively,
an in-situ, unresolved stellar population could produce the observed
inter-arm UV emission. This project seeks to establish which of the
two competing scenarios is responsible for the bulk of this diffuse
emission. We propose to use HST's UV imaging capability (ACS/SBC) to
obtain deep observations of selected fields in the nearby spiral
galaxy M101, for which available (low angular resolution) data favor
the 'scattered light' scenario. Our observations are designed to
detect any faint, UV-luminous stellar population down to main sequence
B5 stars. With these data, we will establish the nature of the bulk of
the diffuse UV light in this spiral galaxy by: (i) quantifying the
contribution from dust-scattered light; (ii) measuring the
contribution to the ubiquitous diffuse ionized medium from in- situ
ionizing stars; and (iii) providing constraints on the observed
stellar mass function in the field. Only HST has the UV sensitivity
and angular resolution to discriminate in-situ stellar populations
from scattered light. The ultimate goal of this project is to
re-'calibrate' the UV emission as a star formation rate indicator,
which will need to account for any scattered component.

NIC2 11143

NICMOS Imaging of Submillimeter Galaxies With CO and PAH Redshifts

We propose to obtain F110W and F160W imaging of 10 z~2.4 submillimeter
galaxies {SMGs} whose optical redshifts have been confirmed by the
detection of millimeter CO and/or mid- infrared PAH emission. With the
4000A break falling within/between the two imaging filters, we will be
able to study these sources' spatially resolved stellar populations
{modulo extinction} in the rest-frame optical. SMGs' large
luminosities appear to be due largely to merger-triggered starbursts;
high-resolution NICMOS imaging will help us understand the stellar
masses, mass ratios, and other properties of the merger progenitors,
valuable information in the effort to model the mass assembly history
of the universe.

WFPC2 11137

First Accurate Geometric Distance to a Galactic Wolf-Rayet Star: Knots
in the Ejecta M1-67

M 1-67 is the youngest known ejection nebula surrounding a Population
I Wolf-Rayet star, in this case the WN8 star WR 124. Our deep H-alpha
HST/WFPC2 image of this object in March 1997 revealed, for the first
time in such a nebula, numerous bright, mostly unresolved knots
(typical diameters 0.1-0.2") often surrounded by what appear to be
their own local spherical diffuse 'wind' bubbles. We propose to obtain
a second epoch H-alpha image of M 1-67, essentially repeating the
Epoch1 instrumental set-up. By measuring the proper motions of the
knots, we will derive a relatively precise and assumption-free
geometric distance (thus also a luminosity) to a Galactic Wolf-Rayet
star, the first of its kind. This will help to confirm the suspected
runaway status of WR 124 and shed new light on the nature of
progenitors of gamma-ray bursts. Moreover, we intend to document and
measure the anticipated morphology/brightness changes in the
fine-stucture features of the nebula over the 11-year interval, as
they relate to wind-embedded shocks. This will provide important input
for interaction models of a stellar wind with circumstellar matter.

ACS/SBC 11110

Searching for Lyman Apha Emission from FUSE Lyman Continuum
Candidates

We have recently been granted time on FUSE to characterize the escape
fraction of hydrogen Lyman continuum (Lyc) photons from a
morphologically diverse set of star forming galaxies. The FUSE program
is designed to provide ~ 5 sigma detections of Lyc photons emitted
from star forming galaxies with escape fractions ~5%. With this
proposal we seek hydrogen Lyman alpha (Lya) observations of a
representative subset of the FUSE program targets to constrain the
observational relationship between Lyc, Lya, and hydrogen Balmer line
emission in these systems. Such observations explore the detailed
balance between the simple optically thin (Case A) and optically thick
(Case B) limits in recombination theory. The ultimate goal of this
program is to quantify the relationship between escaping Lya and Lyc
emission and the first structures that form in the early universe.

WFPC2 11079

Treasury Imaging of Star Forming Regions in the Local Group:
Complementing the GALEX and NOAO Surveys

We propose to use WFPC2 to image the most interesting star-forming
regions in the Local Group galaxies, to resolve their young stellar
populations. We will use a set of filters including F170W, which is
critical to detect and characterize the most massive stars, to whose
hot temperatures colors at longer wavelengths are not sensitive.
WFPC2's field of view ideally matches the typical size of the
star-forming regions, and its spatial resolution allows us to measure
individual stars, given the proximity of these galaxies. The resulting
H-R diagrams will enable studies of star-formation properties in these
regions, which cover largely differing metallicities {a factor of 17,
compared to the factor of 4 explored so far} and characteristics. The
results will further our understanding of the star-formation process,
of the interplay between massive stars and environment, the properties
of dust, and will provide the key to interpret integrated measurements
of star-formation indicators {UV, IR, Halpha} available for several
hundreds more distant galaxies. Our recent deep surveys of these
galaxies with GALEX {FUV, NUV} and ground-based imaging {UBVRI,
Halpha, [OIII] and [SII]} provided the identification of the most
relevant SF sites. In addition to our scientific analysis, we will
provide catalogs of HST photometry in 6 bands, matched corollary
ground-based data, and UV, Halpha and IR integrated measurements of
the associations, for comparison of integrated star-formation indices
to the resolved populations. We envisage an EPO component.

WFPC2 11032

CTE Extended Targets Closeout

Measuring the charge transfer efficiency {CTE} of an astronomical CCD
camera is crucial to determining the CCD's photometric fidelity across
the field of view. WFPC2's CTE has degraded steadily over the last 13
years because of continuous exposure to trapped particles in HST's
radiation environment. The fraction of photometric signal lost from
WFPC2's CTI {change transfer inefficiency} is a function of WFPC2's
time in orbit, the integrated signal in the image, the location of the
image on the CCD, and the background signal. Routine monitoring of
WFPC2's degrading CTE over the last 13 years has primarily concerned
the effects of CTI on point-source photometry. However, most of the
sources imaged by WFPC2 are extended rather than point- like. This
program aims to characterize the effects of CTI on the photometry and
morphology of extended sources near the end of WFPC2's functional
life. Images of a standard field within the rich galaxy cluster Abell
1689 are recorded with each WFPC2 camera using the F606W and F814W
filters. These images will be compared with contemporaneous images of
Abell 1689 recorded with the field rotated by approximately 180
degrees to assess differences between extended sources imaged near and
far from the serial register. The images will also be compared with
similar images recorded in Cycle 8 {Program 8456} to characterize the
rate of CTE degradation over the lifetime of WFPC2.

WFPC2 11022

WFPC2 Cycle 15 Decontaminations and Associated Observations

This proposal is for the WFPC2 decons. Also included are instrument
monitors tied to decons: photometric stability check, focus monitor,
pre- and post-decon internals {bias, intflats, kspots, & darks}, UV
throughput check, VISFLAT sweep, and internal UV flat check.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

11350 - REacq(1,2,1) failed to RGA hold.

REacq(1,2,1) scheduled at 172/17:16:56 - 17:24:18 failed to RGA hold
during LOS. At AOS there were no flags. During LOS we received an ESB
a0a "FL Timeout". OBAD1 showed errors of V1=435.74, V2=633.13,
V3=-307.65, and RSS=827.87. OBAD2 showed errors of V1=-0.75, V2=-2.32,
V3=11.46, and RSS=11.71.

Observations affected: WFPC 152-155 Proposal ID# 11233

The REacq(1,2,1) scheduled at 172/18:52:49 - 19:00:00 also failed
during LOS. There were no flags. OBAD1:V1=-365.74,
V2=-546.47,V3=148.45, RSS=674.11 OBAD2: V1=0.25, V2=0.89, V3=2.09,
RSS=2.28

Observations affected: WFPC 156-159 Proposal ID# 11233

Reacq(1,2,1) scheduled at 172/20:28:42 also failed to RGA hold. ESB
message a0a "FL Timeout" was received.

OBAD1: V1=-435.55, V2=-648.68, V3=189.11, RSS=803.90
OBAD2: V1=1.45, V2=4.26, V3=8.64, RSS=9.73

Observations affected: WFPC 160-162 Proposal ID#11233

Upon acquisition of signal at 172/22:39:30, the REacq(1,2,1) scheduled
at 172/22:09:38 had failed to RGA Hold with (QF1SRLEX), (QF1STOPF)
indication flags set on FGS-1. One 486 ESB message "a07" (FGS Coarse
Track failed - Timed out waiting for data valid FGS-1) was received.
Pre-acq OBADs attitude corrections (RSS) values are not available due
to LOS. Post-acq OBAD/MAP had not been scheduled.

Observations affected: WFPC 164, 165 Proposal ID#11233

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

********************** SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

OBAD with Maneuver **** 54**************** 54

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report # 4379 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 June 8th 07 04:53 PM
Daily Report #4378 Pataro, Pete Hubble 0 June 7th 07 04:11 PM
Daily Report #4377 Pataro, Pete Hubble 0 June 6th 07 01:31 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM