Kiwi Jet Pack Maker Takes to the Sky

Old December 1st 10, 05:47 AM posted to sci.space.history
William Mook[_2_]

Default Kiwi Jet Pack Maker Takes to the Sky

You remember the old jet pack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6Sy5JNnxg

Well, here's a new take on it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtI1GP147Cs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y99dYJaSNhQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBndcBjQFM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvD8zuGy1z4

Basically, the thrust and power are related by Newton's law of motion

F = mdot * Ve and W = 1/2 * mdot * Ve^2 = 1/2 * F * Ve

and the

Ve of a hydrogen peroxide rocket is 1.8 km/sec whilst the
Ve of a fan-jet is 0.5 km/sec and Martin's
Ve is 0.08 km/sec

So we can see that for a given amount of thrust - flight times
increase as we slow airspeed

1800 m/sec -- 28 seconds
500 m/sec -- 100 seconds
83 m/sec -- 607 seconds (10 minutes)

There have been other vehicles that attempted the same thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-4ygOrgJ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJARrc40imk

There are others that want to go one better. That is, once you're off
the ground, you transition to horizontal flight - gaining another 12:1
advantage - by reducing thrust and using wings for lift.

10 minutes --- reduce thrust to 1/12th full thrust -- 120
minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2mmx71DqfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOK6yOibCZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXVtUCABiv8
Old December 3rd 10, 05:47 PM posted to sci.space.history
William Mook[_2_]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-4y...?v=XJARrc40imk

There are others that want to go one better. *That is, once you're off
the ground, you transition to horizontal flight - gaining another 12:1
advantage - by reducing thrust and using wings for lift.

* * * 10 minutes --- *reduce thrust to 1/12th full thrust -- *120
minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2mmx71DqfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOK6y...?v=KXVtUCABiv8

Went to visit Martin today. He's got fabulous stuff!
Old December 7th 10, 09:37 AM posted to sci.space.history
William Mook[_2_]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-4y...utube.com/watc....

There are others that want to go one better. *That is, once you're off
the ground, you transition to horizontal flight - gaining another 12:1
advantage - by reducing thrust and using wings for lift.

* * * 10 minutes --- *reduce thrust to 1/12th full thrust -- *120
minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2mmx71DqfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOK6y...utube.com/watc....

Went to visit Martin today. * He's got fabulous stuff!

I'm helping my nephew build an indoor karting center at an old Big
Bear super center. We're looking at buying a handful of Martin Jet
Packs and simulators and offering jet pack flights. Pretty cool
stuff.