Reaction Times

Old April 21st 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Default Reaction Times

The BBC website contains a cute Java application called Sheep Dash that
measures reaction time in a fairly simple sudden event situation. It
may be of interest here for occultation timing and determining a crude
personal equation too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/

It will give you a rough idea of how fast you really are at accurate
and reproducible timing of that fleeting moment. A 3s penalty for a
false trigger seems a bit harsh to me.

My fastest response was 62ms. But I scored 150+-50ms overall.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old April 21st 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Martin Brown wrote:
The BBC website contains a cute Java application called Sheep Dash
that measures reaction time in a fairly simple sudden event
situation. It may be of interest here for occultation timing and
determining a crude personal equation too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/

It will give you a rough idea of how fast you really are at accurate
and reproducible timing of that fleeting moment. A 3s penalty for a
false trigger seems a bit harsh to me.

My fastest response was 62ms. But I scored 150+-50ms overall.

Far too much time on your hands.
My average was a poor 0.2, but I did get a 0.000 as well (together with
several 3.0s).

Old April 21st 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Grumps wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

The BBC website contains a cute Java application called Sheep Dash
that measures reaction time in a fairly simple sudden event
situation. It may be of interest here for occultation timing and
determining a crude personal equation too:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/
It will give you a rough idea of how fast you really are at accurate
and reproducible timing of that fleeting moment. A 3s penalty for a
false trigger seems a bit harsh to me.
My fastest response was 62ms. But I scored 150+-50ms overall.

Far too much time on your hands.
My average was a poor 0.2, but I did get a 0.000 as well (together with
several 3.0s).

My average over about 6 goes was 120mS, with a worst of 260mS, a best of 6mS and a
couple of 3+ S.

My dihydrocodeine & diazepam may have some bearing on the matter though...

--
Cheers
David Harris
Old April 21st 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro.amateur

Martin Brown wrote:
The BBC website contains a cute Java application called Sheep Dash that
measures reaction time in a fairly simple sudden event situation. It
may be of interest here for occultation timing and determining a crude
personal equation too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/

It will give you a rough idea of how fast you really are at accurate
and reproducible timing of that fleeting moment. A 3s penalty for a
false trigger seems a bit harsh to me.

My fastest response was 62ms. But I scored 150+-50ms overall.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Hmm. Guess I'm slow. 300ms. Can I blame it on the lag in my Bluetooth
mouse? :-)

Shawn