AUTISM = "no drive to explore"

Old June 5th 05, 07:20 PM
L. Merk

Pat Flannery wrote:

Dittos on that, Mr. Francis.

Are you one of those cranks who believes "psychiatry is all fraud?" You
must be, if you believe it is perfectly normal to lack a drive to
explore. That is a prime symptom of autism, and autism is *not* normal.

Old June 5th 05, 07:22 PM
Erik Max Francis

L. Merk wrote:

Are you one of those cranks who believes "psychiatry is all fraud?" You
must be, if you believe it is perfectly normal to lack a drive to
explore. That is a prime symptom of autism, and autism is *not* normal.

No, probably just another one of those radicals who thinks that
argumentum ad hominem isn't a sign of intellectual honesty.

What is it that shapes a species?
-- Louis Wu
Old June 5th 05, 08:20 PM
Paul F. Dietz

Erik Max Francis wrote:

No, probably just another one of those radicals who thinks that
argumentum ad hominem isn't a sign of intellectual honesty.

I admit, I'm playing the bad cop in this thread.

He reacted *beautifully*, don't you think?

Nothing like a stress test to find defect(ive)s.

Paul

Old June 5th 05, 09:47 PM
Pat Flannery

Logan Kearsley wrote:

It is, however, perfectly healthy to lack the drive to explore
*geographically*, when the exploratory drive can be fulfilled much more
cheaply and usually with better guaranteed return on investment by other
means. Such as exploring the library. Or exploring a drop of water under a
microscope. Or to explore the social structure of your home town out in the
stix where you intend to live your whole life (using 'you' in the general
sense, there). Just to provide three examples.

Or explore for fossils under a big piece of sandstone...that's how I
discovered the wasp nest. :-)

Pat
Old June 6th 05, 02:07 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Joseph Hertzlinger m :

On 4 Jun 2005 07:33:22 -0700, wrote:

Experts point out that unlike normal people, the severely autistic lack
the urge to explore the world. Hmm. This could explain a few things
about certain posters in these newsgroups, who claim to lack a drive to
explore.

"And how do you educate severely autistic children? How do you teach
those who, for the most part, have no language, and no particular
compulsion to acquire it, who are BORN WITHOUT THE NEED TO EXPLORE THE
WORLD, who would rather spin round and round in a circle, or do the
same jigsaw over and over again, than play games with their peers, who
won't make eye-contact, or copy, and who fight bitterly (and sometimes
literally, with nails and teeth and small fists) for the right to
remain sealed in their own world?" - Nick Hornby, renown expert on
autism

Asperger's syndrome (which might be a mild form of autism) is
frequently mentioned on rec.arts.sf.fandom since some of the
descriptions sound like sf fandom.

ObSF: Focus in "A Deepness in the Sky" by Vernor Vinge

P.S.: June 18 is Autistic Pride Day.

How Focus is to the point that you will starve to death because you don't
bother eating at all. If I really get into a programmin problem I may spend
an entire day without eating but sooner or later the stomach overrides the
mind.

Earl Colby Pottinger

PS. note soc.history.what-if remove from list.
--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to