Space Travel !

Old October 8th 17, 10:09 PM posted to alt.astronomy
SteveGG

Default Space Travel !

Physics dictates a speed limit of 3 E8 meters/sec, on everything, no
exceptions. Our fastest spacecraft is slower by a factor of about
33,000 ! At that speed, it'll take about 150 MILLENNIA to reach our
very nearest neighbor ! To our nearest neighbor galaxy Andromeda,
it'll take 50 million millennia. Makes one wonder what that dumb
record on Voyager was all about; an awful lot of trouble for nothing !
( BTW, to put things in perspective, it's only been about a measely 2
millennia since the Roman empire. )
Old October 8th 17, 10:31 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 4:09:08 PM UTC-5, SteveGG wrote:
Physics dictates a speed limit of 3 E8 meters/sec, on everything, no
exceptions. Our fastest spacecraft is slower by a factor of about
33,000 ! At that speed, it'll take about 150 MILLENNIA to reach our
very nearest neighbor ! To our nearest neighbor galaxy Andromeda,
it'll take 50 million millennia. Makes one wonder what that dumb
record on Voyager was all about; an awful lot of trouble for nothing !
( BTW, to put things in perspective, it's only been about a measely 2
millennia since the Roman empire. )

I could get you to the nearest star in a month, to the nearest galaxy in three months, and across the universe from one side to the other in eight years. Outer space is there for a reason. It is meant to be traveled through.
Old October 9th 17, 12:09 AM posted to alt.astronomy
SteveGG

Even at 3 E8 meters/sec light speed, the relatively near galaxy
Andromeda, is still 2.5 million years away !

Just how are you going to do it in 3 months ?
Old October 9th 17, 12:26 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 4:10:00 PM UTC-7, SteveGG wrote:
Even at 3 E8 meters/sec light speed, the relatively near galaxy
Andromeda, is still 2.5 million years away !

Just how are you going to do it in 3 months ?

Warp 9, Scotty!

Double-A

Old October 9th 17, 12:48 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 6:10:00 PM UTC-5, SteveGG wrote:
Even at 3 E8 meters/sec light speed, the relatively near galaxy
Andromeda, is still 2.5 million years away !

Just how are you going to do it in 3 months ?

If you understood the astrophysics of planets as they orbit their respective stars you would know there is something in the universe called constant acceleration. If you travel fast enough to cross the space fabric barrier you start to accelerate and just keep on accelerating until the true speed of light is reached, which is a lot faster than we think it is. All we see measure is the exterior of light, not light itself. Traveling that fast also creates a barrier that keeps us from being hit by space debris. It also creates artificial gravity. You should understand that one.
Old October 9th 17, 12:52 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 6:10:00 PM UTC-5, SteveGG wrote:
Even at 3 E8 meters/sec light speed, the relatively near galaxy
Andromeda, is still 2.5 million years away !

Just how are you going to do it in 3 months ?

If you understood the astrophysics of planets as they orbit their respective stars you would know there is something in the universe called constant acceleration. If you travel fast enough to cross the space fabric barrier you start to accelerate and just keep on accelerating until the true speed of light is reached, which is a lot faster than we think it is. All we measure is the exterior of light, not light itself. Traveling that fast also creates a barrier that keeps us from being hit by space debris. It also creates artificial gravity. You should understand that one.
Old October 9th 17, 01:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy
SteveGG

Even if you continually accelerate as to maintain 1 G, and this is a
very big IF, you will never get or certainly not exceed light speed.
Old October 9th 17, 01:43 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Mark Earnest[_2_]

On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 7:18:34 AM UTC-5, SteveGG wrote:
Even if you continually accelerate as to maintain 1 G, and this is a
very big IF, you will never get or certainly not exceed light speed.

Scientists are right about that. Nothing can go faster than light. But light goes a lot faster than scientists think. As the exterior of a comet moves slower than the rest of the comet so does the exterior of light.
Old October 9th 17, 03:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Thomas[_7_]

On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 8:43:45 AM UTC-4, Mark Earnest wrote:

Scientists are right about that. Nothing can go faster than light.

Time goes faster than light. You guys need to open up to different ways of travel.
Spaceship and a can of Ravioli. LOL.
Old October 9th 17, 04:29 PM posted to alt.astronomy
SteveGG

IF THINGS WERE NEWTONIAN, then it would take accelleration at G nearly
a year to reach light speed. Obviously as speeds got high then things
wouldn't stay newtonian and distortions in space and time would
prevent anything approaching light speed.