An Incredibly Rich Star Field in Canis Major

Old December 20th 09, 02:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default An Incredibly Rich Star Field in Canis Major

Davoud:
The Starfish permits exposures from one ms to five minutes.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
After posting my message last night, I did check out the
manufacturer's webpage. Something I forgot to ask and which I
confirmed last night is compatibility with the ST-4 protocol given my
mounts are AP.

Yes, it is ST-4 compatible. The Starfish plugs directly into my 1200
GTO's guide port. That's where the simplicity comes in, IMO. USB to
computer and standard "phone-type" guider cable to the mount, and
that's all there is to it. You have to experience it to see how good it
is.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old December 20th 09, 06:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
Nonetheless, your guiding setup seems convoluted compared to Starfish
PHD and Starfish Mount. No arcane ASCOM, no USB-to-Serial.

Anthony Ayiomamitis:
This is the same scenario with the SBIG cameras having a second chip
for guiding and which acts as a "hub" between laptop and mount.

Yes, I know. I have an STL-11000M with a remote guide head. I say
"have;" I mean I own one, but it's on its way back from SBIG after
repairs.

Old December 20th 09, 10:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_1_]

On 20 Δεκ, 16:13, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:

The Starfish permits exposures from one ms to five minutes.

Anthony Ayiomamitis

After posting my message last night, I did check out the
manufacturer's webpage. Something I forgot to ask and which I
confirmed last night is compatibility with the ST-4 protocol given my
mounts are AP.

Yes, it is ST-4 compatible. The Starfish plugs directly into my 1200
GTO's guide port. That's where the simplicity comes in, IMO. USB to
computer and standard "phone-type" guider cable to the mount, and
that's all there is to it. You have to experience it to see how good it
is.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Davoud,

You just made my day since you basically confirmed for me the most
ideal scenario vis a vis the wiring and which effectively emulates and
clones a dual chip SBIG CCD camera.

Anthony.
Old December 20th 09, 11:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Davoud:
Yes, it is ST-4 compatible. The Starfish plugs directly into my 1200
GTO's guide port. That's where the simplicity comes in, IMO. USB to
computer and standard "phone-type" guider cable to the mount, and
that's all there is to it. You have to experience it to see how good it
is.

Anthony Ayiomamitis:
You just made my day since you basically confirmed for me the most
ideal scenario vis a vis the wiring and which effectively emulates and
clones a dual chip SBIG CCD camera.

Well, it duplicates an SBIG with an external guide camera on a separate
'scope, but I find it much easier to use. For one thing, the chip is
1280 x 1024 pixels while the TC237H is 657 x 495 pixels. And Craig
Stark's PHD calibration algorithm should be the envy of every
astro-software developer.

I understand people's concerns about tube flexure when using a separate
'scope, but I don't think I've ever experienced it, and I've been using
setups such as those shown on this page
http://www.primordial-light.com/technique.html since I began imaging.
Since these photos were made I've had a machine shop modify a Losmandy
double dovetail for the small Tak in order to gain extra stiffness just
as insurance, though I never saw evidence of the single dovetail
flexing.

My zerbat'ry is somewhere behind a six-foot snow drift just now, and
it's a crystal clear and starkly cold night. Enough to make a man whose
snow blower broke down today cry. We had about 60 cm of snow from
Friday night to Saturday night -- the heaviest December snowfall in
Maryland since records have been kept.

#93 in 25,000 years we will be conversing with aliens on Canis Major [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 May 1st 08 05:36 PM
ASTRO: Open Star Cluster M-41 in Canis Major George Normandin[_1_] Astro Pictures 3 March 12th 08 05:42 AM
ASTRO: Wide field: Monoceros, Puppis & Canis Major Danilo Pivato Astro Pictures 2 April 12th 07 09:42 PM
Wide field: Monoceros, Puppis & Canis Major [film] Danilo Pivato UK Astronomy 2 April 11th 07 12:08 PM
Rich Field Refractor? Alan Buttivant Misc 8 November 17th 03 05:32 AM