RIP Pat Flannery?

Old October 27th 11, 06:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

Default RIP Pat Flannery?

On 27/10/2011 6:57 AM, bob haller wrote:

anyone call the funeral home?

That's a good point.
Old October 27th 11, 12:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Haller

anyone call the funeral home?

That's a good point.

at least they could provide family contact info and send them this
discussion.......

truly very sad....
Old October 27th 11, 03:02 PM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 27/10/2011 10:58 PM, bob haller wrote:
anyone call the funeral home?

That's a good point.

at least they could provide family contact info and send them this
discussion.......

truly very sad....

It was said earlier in the thread that Pat only had a brother.
Hopefully, they information will be passed on to him.
Old October 29th 11, 03:28 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David Lesher

"Val Kraut" writes:

It surprises me that you guys are this interested in someone you only
know through Usenet. Have you guys ever met Pat in real life (IRL)?

If it *is* Pat than he passed away relatively young at just 56. He
posted here only a few days ago (September 24th).

This has happened on other groups - there's someone who consistently makes
intertesting posts - and you just get to expect them each day when you go
in - in fact you go in each day and look for his posts - and suddenly they

Larry Lippman..

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old November 1st 11, 05:45 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

Alan Erskine wrote:
On 27/10/2011 6:57 AM, bob haller wrote:

anyone call the funeral home?

That's a good point.

I did the 2nd week in October. See my post dated Oct. 13 @ 10:01 am

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...71ce7fa30b71c#

There were no funeral arrangements at the time I called. Considering the fact
that it was 10 days after the date of death reported in the on-line newspaper
obit I presume there wasn't one.

I requested my contact info be passed to his surviving brother. I have not
heard from him either.

Pat's email account is no longer working.

Dave
Old December 2nd 11, 06:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On Oct 26, 10:38*am, Brian Thorn wrote:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:54:18 -0700 (PDT), B0b Mosley

wrote:
...Kids, is this 100% confirmed? Remember, it was just the other day
half of you thought *I* was dead.

We don't know, but each passing day suggests it was. The local paper
only printed a death notice, no obituary and the funeral home
identified in the death notice has no mention of Pat on its website.
I checked other funeral homes in the area and also came up empty.
Either this Pat Flannery had a very simple funeral, or his funeral
arrangements were handled elsewhere. I guess we'll just have to wait
and see.

Damn, this is awful news. I'd been away from Usenet for quite some
time, and coming in, I saw this.

Pat was always a pleasure to read, and over the years, one got a
feeling about the kind of guy he was. A happy chap, with a wonderful
sense of humour and wonder. I'm another guy who never got to meet
him in RL, which is a loss.

Sigh.

Andre
Old December 2nd 11, 11:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
David Spain

wrote:

...Kids, is this 100% confirmed? Remember, it was just the other day
half of you thought *I* was dead.

We don't know, but each passing day suggests it was. The local paper
only printed a death notice, no obituary and the funeral home
identified in the death notice has no mention of Pat on its website.
I checked other funeral homes in the area and also came up empty.
Either this Pat Flannery had a very simple funeral, or his funeral
arrangements were handled elsewhere. I guess we'll just have to wait
and see.

Just to clarify, I called the funeral home on October 13th and they told me
that Pat's body had been cremated, but there had been no funeral arrangements
at that time. Since this was almost 2 weeks since the reported date of death
in the on-line death notice it is not clear there ever was a funeral.

The only surviving family is a brother whom I asked the funeral home to pass
along both my condolences and my email contact. I have not heard back from
him. Pat's email address is no longer working. The white pages telephone
number listed on-line has been disconnected.

There have been no postings from Pat since September 23-24. The reported date
of death was October 3rd.

The town paper that the on-line death notice was published, the Jamestown Sun
of Jamestown, ND matches the same town as was reported by Pat himself as being
his hometown (see earlier links on this thread).

There are only two Flannery's listed in the white pages for Jamestown ND and
only one Patrick.

Dave

Old December 7th 11, 02:46 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"David Spain" wrote in message

Just to clarify, I called the funeral home on October 13th and they told me
that Pat's body had been cremated, but there had been no funeral
arrangements at that time. Since this was almost 2 weeks since the reported
date of death in the on-line death notice it is not clear there ever was a
funeral.

Hmm, strikes me the proper way to remember Pat is if no one claims his ashes
to claim them and get some into orbit.

--
Greg D. Moore President Green Mountain Software
http://www.greenms.com

Old December 8th 11, 05:00 PM posted to sci.space.history
Ken S. Tucker

On Dec 6, 5:46 pm, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:
"David Spain" wrote in message

Just to clarify, I called the funeral home on October 13th and they told me
that Pat's body had been cremated, but there had been no funeral
arrangements at that time. Since this was almost 2 weeks since the reported
date of death in the on-line death notice it is not clear there ever was a
funeral.

Hmm, strikes me the proper way to remember Pat is if no one claims his ashes
to claim them and get some into orbit.

Yes, how much would that cost?
(It's the xmas season)
Ken
Old December 9th 11, 04:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Dec 8, 9:00*am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
Hmm, strikes me the proper way to remember Pat is if no one claims his ashes
to claim them and get some into orbit.

Yes, how much would that cost?

Nothing, if done properly. The proper way to honor Pat: *steal* his
ashes. Mix some of them in with some paint. Load the mix into
paintballs. Sneak into a launch facility and nail the upper stage of
some booster preparing to launch a comsat into GEO. Prefarably a
comstat scheduled to broadcast bad made-for-SyFy channel movies
featuring scantily clad talentless actresses.

It's what he would've wanted.