The Expanding Earth and Mind and other paradox

Old July 4th 06, 03:40 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.physics,sci.astro,talk.origins
Timberwoof

Default The Expanding Earth and Mind and other paradox

In article .com,
"Petra" wrote:

snip
Science needs a lift, but not the kind that you deliver to the seat of
the pants. It needs some pizzaz, a little hype and a voice that sounds
interested and interesting, like there was real life in the material.
There could be, but in the "we do" and so forth I think some of it gets
lost.

It does?

Try some PBS: Nova and Scientific American Frontiers are pretty
interesting. And there are tons of specials on cosmology all the time.
For that matter, have you read Scientific American or Discover lately?

--
Timberwoof me at timberwoof dot com http://www.timberwoof.com

Old July 4th 06, 05:32 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.physics,sci.astro,talk.origins
Kermit

wrote:
Kermit wrote:
malibu wrote:
Timberwoof wrote:
In article . com,
"malibu" wrote:

The Earth absorbs (gravitational) energy.
This collects at its center until it
imbalances the magnetic field.
When the poles reverse the energy gets spun into matter.
The Earth grows
bigger and there is an increase in gravity.

"That's not even wrong."

Jupiter gives off 2.6 times as
much energy as it receives from the Sun.

The 'official' story is
that it is still cooling.

Even official stories are often correct.

Is Earth still cooling?

Yes.

Have you ever boiled a pot of water?
What happens when the heat gets turned off?
The boiling stops.

What happens when you turn the heat down? It is still hot, but not as
hot.

There are active volcanos everywhere on Earth.
They release huge amounts of heat.
2/3 of Oregon is 3000 feet deep of 'fresh' volcanic output.
As I write this homes are evacuated because of imminent
volcanic eruption in numerous places on Earth.
You think the boiling has stopped?
Why? Because that's what you are told?

I don't think that. Why would you think I think that?

Is Earth expanding?

No.

What's *your* 'right' story? Got one?

There is really only one that fits the data, altho many details have to
be worked out. Unfortunately, it is not your story.

In a nutshell- what is it?

Ummm... the mainstream story.

Google "plate tectonics" Most of the links will be helpful. The front
page is sure to have a synopsis with pictures.

Are the 'details' things like plate movement, volcanic
activity, excess heat output of all the big planets?

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking.

It *sounds like you're asking if I think Punatubo is the result of
Jupiter's heat radiation, but that wouldn't make any sense.

John

Kermit

still Kermit

Old July 4th 06, 05:45 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.physics,sci.astro,talk.origins
Kermit

wrote:
Kermit wrote:
will1 wrote:
I once had a friend that had talent and truly wanted to publish. He could
write,his mind was full of ideas, and for all practical
purposes, he believed he was a writer.

snip sad but common story

Regards, Will E.

All true. But our "job" here in talk.origins is to confront the
anti-science minions of darkness and confusion and keep them out of the
hair of folks wanting to do or discuss real science in informal fora.

Personally, I am not a scientist, and this is one small way I can
contribute to civilization. It is not incidental that I learn to think
and speak more clearly on these issues, and develop the tools I need to
confront (in the big blue room) my fellow citizens who sometimes seem
hell-bent on destroying the little progress we've made in the last
couple of lifetimes.

And why do you think the progress in the
last hundred years has been so minimal?

What makes you think it has been minimal? I think it's been grand. It
could have been better.

Is the Earth in better or worse shape because
of the our en'light'ened science?

I hope it will be better soon; but it will take changes in the way we
collectively think. And I don't mean by rejecting mainstream science, I
mean by behaving responsibly (ir not toward the planet, at least to the
future generations).

As a non-scientist, why are you in a position
to do a 'job' defending positions taken which preclude
investigations in other directions than those deemed
'right'?

Not being a scientist *limits me in what I can do, not enables me. I
can't teach science, for example, or investigate this scientific puzzle
or that one. But I can fight scientific illiteracy in the general
population. I *do have a day job.

Quack science causes death, misdirects the little money available for
research and practical applications, and delays learning. It
contributes to general scientific illiteracy, and social decisions are
disastrous enough from greed and fear and ignorance; we don't need
wrong information famuddying the waters.

One example: Tom Bethell, author of "Politically Incorrect Science",
had convinced the former president of South Africa that HIV did not
cause AIDS. The result was a delay of years for effective treatment for
the disease, and steps for controlling the epidemic.

Plus, knowledge is valuable for its own sake.

John

And we have a had a few folks show up who were simply misinformed and
ignorant, and when pointed in the right direction, or had a few
misconceptions cleared up, joined us in defending and presenting the
scientific method. The effort is not wasted.

Kermit

Old July 4th 06, 07:02 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.physics,sci.astro,talk.origins
Petra

Timberwoof wrote:
In article .com,
"Petra" wrote:

snip
Science needs a lift, but not the kind that you deliver to the seat of
the pants. It needs some pizzaz, a little hype and a voice that sounds
interested and interesting, like there was real life in the material.
There could be, but in the "we do" and so forth I think some of it gets
lost.

It does?

Try some PBS: Nova and Scientific American Frontiers are pretty
interesting. And there are tons of specials on cosmology all the time.
For that matter, have you read Scientific American or Discover lately?

Timberwoof,

I don't much care for reruns, but at least on television and in
publications they are good enough to leave some of the digusting parts
as film on the floor or deleted from their computers so "we, the
public" don't have to see it.

As for current reading material, I recently chose to re-read QB VII by
Leon Uris because I wanted to read something that had some sense that
someone cared much about something. As we near the Fourth of July it's
a perfect read because a gripping tale about how million of persons
lost eveything they had, under circumstances which were dire, we who
live in a place which is supposed to have so much, frequently goes
unacknowledged.

While Americans are slowly losing their rights one after the other, we
should appreciate what we have and attempt to make this once great land
something worthy of being proud of. Heaven Help Us.

Petra

Petra

Old July 4th 06, 08:07 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.physics,sci.astro,talk.origins
Timberwoof

In article . com,
"Petra" wrote:

Timberwoof wrote:
In article .com,
"Petra" wrote:

snip
Science needs a lift, but not the kind that you deliver to the seat of
the pants. It needs some pizzaz, a little hype and a voice that sounds
interested and interesting, like there was real life in the material.
There could be, but in the "we do" and so forth I think some of it gets
lost.

It does?

Try some PBS: Nova and Scientific American Frontiers are pretty
interesting. And there are tons of specials on cosmology all the time.
For that matter, have you read Scientific American or Discover lately?

Timberwoof,

I don't much care for reruns, but at least on television and in
publications they are good enough to leave some of the digusting parts
as film on the floor or deleted from their computers so "we, the
public" don't have to see it.

What are you talking about?

As for current reading material, I recently chose to re-read QB VII by
Leon Uris because I wanted to read something that had some sense that
someone cared much about something. As we near the Fourth of July it's
a perfect read because a gripping tale about how million of persons
lost eveything they had, under circumstances which were dire, we who
live in a place which is supposed to have so much, frequently goes
unacknowledged.

And this has to do with giving science a "lift" how, exactly?

While Americans are slowly losing their rights one after the other, we
should appreciate what we have and attempt to make this once great land
something worthy of being proud of. Heaven Help Us.

Heaven Help Us is exactly what the fundamentalists and other religious
political radicals have in mind.

--
Timberwoof me at timberwoof dot com http://www.timberwoof.com

Old July 4th 06, 08:56 AM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.physics,sci.astro,talk.origins
Petra

Timberwoof wrote:
In article . com,
"Petra" wrote:

Timberwoof wrote:
In article .com,
"Petra" wrote:

Timberwoof, (see notes below)

What are you talking about?

As for current reading material, I recently chose to re-read QB VII by
Leon Uris because I wanted to read something that had some sense that
someone cared much about something. As we near the Fourth of July it's
a perfect read because a gripping tale about how million of persons
lost eveything they had, under circumstances which were dire, we who
live in a place which is supposed to have so much, frequently goes
unacknowledged.

If you're looking for something to read which is "empowering" you'd
have to look outside of Scientific American you know.

And this has to do with giving science a "lift" how, exactly?

While Americans are slowly losing their rights one after the other, we
should appreciate what we have and attempt to make this once great land
something worthy of being proud of. Heaven Help Us.

Your answer is one question past the last answer.... No Comment.

Heaven Help Us is exactly what the fundamentalists and other religious
political radicals have in mind.

Have you ever heard that saying "As above, so below?" For those of us
who are true believers at least we know there is something of greater
intelligence than what's here on Earth.

Petra

Old July 4th 06, 01:27 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.physics,sci.astro,talk.origins
don findlay

Petra wrote:
Timberwoof wrote:

Have you ever heard that saying "As above, so below?"

Hey Petra, ..we've covered the woof's bowels, ..leave him alone... (!)

Old July 4th 06, 08:03 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.physics,sci.astro,talk.origins
Ken Shackleton

don findlay wrote:
Petra wrote:
Timberwoof wrote:

Have you ever heard that saying "As above, so below?"

Hey Petra, ..we've covered the woof's bowels, ..leave him alone... (!)

For those of us
who are true believers at least we know there is something of greater
intelligence than what's here on Earth.

Petra

Don....you didn't answer the question about where the mass comes from.
You have been asked that before and I have yet to hear an answer from
anyone.

So...in an expanding earth...where does the mass come from?

Old July 4th 06, 11:52 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.physics,sci.astro,talk.origins
don findlay

Ken Shackleton wrote:

Don....you didn't answer the question about where the mass comes from.
You have been asked that before and I have yet to hear an answer from
anyone.

So...in an expanding earth...where does the mass come from?

I don't know how many times I've answered that one. **** off, clever
dick.