ASTRO: PN IC 1295 and GC NGC 6712

Old July 27th 15, 09:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: PN IC 1295 and GC NGC 6712

I recently had an urgent feeling that I should get something faster than
f/8. F/2.2 seemed just right so I bought a Celestron RASA. My hope is that
this will allow me to "compete" with the "small APO under dark skies" guys
without having to leave my flat :-)
This scope is huge and heavy and just at the edge of what I can handle. It
also is not the right scope for starshape-enthusiasts. But it certainly is
fast.

I habe done a lot of images with it so far, it remains to be seen how many
of them I will manage to post.

Here is one of the more interesting images, a "pair" made of a PN and a
glob. The harsh edge of the PN is real, the image is not sharpened in any
way.

Taken from Berlin with a RASA scope on a rather taxed G11 mount, Trius SX694
camera, 27x3min [OIII] and 31x3min Ha, image scale 1.5 arcseconds/pixel.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC1295cropgut.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	5811
Old July 28th 15, 05:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

Stefan, that is a very nice image. Congrats on teh new 'toy'.

Brian
--
http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/index.php - Earth Sciences discussion
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old July 28th 15, 05:23 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Narrow band picked up the PN far better than I did LRGB, especially the edge, I missed the sharp edge entirely, it just seemed to fade away in wide band. Guess I need a OIII filter.

Those are short exposure times for NB filters. I know that camera is high QE but only 3 minutes seems surprisingly short. Or is that due to running the mount at capacity? I wonder where the somewhat distorted star shape comes from. Diffraction from cables to the camera or something about the optics?

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lilge View Post