Cold-weather pants

Old October 16th 12, 12:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

Default Cold-weather pants

I'm "covered" from the butt up; below that, flannel-lined jeans don't
provide me enough warmth when I'm sitting or standing still, and it's 20 or
30 F degrees out. What do you cold-weather observers wear to keep you warm?
I would think down pants would be ideal, but I'm not willing to spend $160,
which is the least expensive of those I've seen so far.

Old October 16th 12, 01:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Howard Lester:
I'm "covered" from the butt up; below that, flannel-lined jeans don't
provide me enough warmth when I'm sitting or standing still, and it's 20 or
30 F degrees out. What do you cold-weather observers wear to keep you warm?
I would think down pants would be ideal, but I'm not willing to spend $160,
which is the least expensive of those I've seen so far.

You're probably out of luck if you aren't willing to spend $160 or
more. I would recommend Carhartt's "Men's Extremes® Coverall / Arctic
Quilt-Lined" @ $200 (standard sizes) or $220 (big and tall). Add about
$500-$600 for a nice pair of Dubarry Galway or Kilternan Gore-Tex-lined
boots and then get cheap silk glove liners from Cabelas so that you can
operate your mount or laptop, keeping your hands in your pockets with
your chemical warmers at other times. Add $100 for a sheepskin hat with
ear flaps and Velcro and you're set for about $1k.

I don't think you'll find anything worth carrying out of WalMart, and
your mall "outfitter" store is into yuppie/preppie style with the
labels outside more than protection in extreme conditions. Your hunting
store sells cold-weather clothes that are satisfactory if one is
generating heat by trekking in the woods carrying a heavy spear or
whatever it is that /real/ sportsmen hunt with these days.

Even if you layer--wear three sets of clothing in increasing sizes from
inner to outer layers--you're probably going to have a couple of
hundred $ invested if you buy durable stuff. I close the circle: the
Carhartt's http://preview.tinyurl.com/carh-arctic, Dubarry
http://us-shop.dubarry.us/collections/men/footwear/country-boots and
off you go

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 16th 12, 03:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_3_]

"Howard Lester" wrote in message ...
I'm "covered" from the butt up; below that, flannel-lined jeans don't
provide me enough warmth when I'm sitting or standing still, and it's 20 or
30 F degrees out. What do you cold-weather observers wear to keep you warm?
I would think down pants would be ideal, but I'm not willing to spend $160,
which is the least expensive of those I've seen so far.

Pyjamas and a couple of servo motors seems to do the trick.

http://www.astrometric.com/products/...s_swservo.html

Why go outside?
-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
Old October 16th 12, 04:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Monday, October 15, 2012 4:30:53 PM UTC-7, Howard Lester wrote:
I'm "covered" from the butt up; below that, flannel-lined jeans don't

provide me enough warmth when I'm sitting or standing still, and it's 20 or

30 F degrees out. What do you cold-weather observers wear to keep you warm?

I would think down pants would be ideal, but I'm not willing to spend $160,

which is the least expensive of those I've seen so far.

There are these...

http://www.walls.com/duxbak-water-pr...insulated-bib#

... but currently out of stock.

I personally have 550 loft goose down overalls from Cabela's, but I've had them over 10 years and they don't offer them anymore. They are absolutely perfect, cold weather is never an issue when wearing these. I say spend the money, you won't be disappointed. There is nothing worse than being cold, it just ruins the night.

\Paul A
Old October 16th 12, 04:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Barry Schwindlehammer

On 10/15/2012 07:30 PM, Howard Lester wrote:
I'm "covered" from the butt up; below that, flannel-lined jeans don't
provide me enough warmth when I'm sitting or standing still, and it's 20
or 30 F degrees out. What do you cold-weather observers wear to keep you
warm? I would think down pants would be ideal, but I'm not willing to
spend $160, which is the least expensive of those I've seen so far.

During my imaging nights during Wintertime a few years back where the
temps were around 15 F, I "got by" by first dressing with a $99 down
winter jacket layered with a one piece $75 Carhardt uniform with a
double ski mask with the Carhardt hood over that. For my feet, I did
use a pair of Walmart boots. I don't remember the name now, but they
were heavy boots with an interior lining that was removable and
washable. I had several layers of socks on each foot, ranging from
cotton to polyester. I don't recall the gloves I used, but they weren't
too expensive. I know the total for all of this clothing was less than
$200. As for performance, I could sit still on the observing/ imaging
chair down to 10 F for up to 4 hours before I had to come in the house.
Even at that, my feet were pretty cold. I knew at the time that this
was a minimal clothing set up, but I didn't have much cash at the time.

Just as I was about to get out of the imaging part of the hobby, I came
across some DIY plans to make battery powered warmers for jackets,
pants, and even masks/ hats. The warmers consisted of very thin gauge
Teflon coated wire sowed or glued into whatever object you wanted
warmed. Then an AC to DC adapter could be used to convert the house
voltage down to the correct voltage/ current for the heater.
Unfortunately, this project never took off, but I could tell that it was
doable and would cost less than $100 to electrify the jacket and pants.
If you're up to using a soldering iron and having a lot of patience,
Google for it.

Barry
Old October 16th 12, 02:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
AM

On 10/15/2012 8:35 PM, Davoud wrote:
Howard Lester:
[...]

I was going to mention the Carhartts but you beat me to it. They really
are that good. (I love mine)

And you are right it get's expensive it you want to just STAND out in
extreme cold. Ski gear isn't bad but still expensive.

One other thought is the cold weather gear the military uses. They are
actually quite good but again they can get a little pricy too...

Old October 16th 12, 08:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

Thanks for the replies, as discouraging as they may be. I may have to spend
$160 for the cheapest pair of down pants. (I can always use them when I'm
out snowblowing or snowshoeing.) Remember, I'm fine from the butt up. I have
a wonderful Eddie Bauer down parka with the hood and all that... and a pair
of Hotfingers gloves. I don't use a laptop; I'm just out there looking. If I
want to get ambitious I'll bring out some charts and the red flashlight.

I find that my flannel-lined jeans aren't warm enough unless I am seated and
have a down "throw" over my thighs. Then, I'm warm. Maybe I could use bungee
cords to hold the throw while I'm standing. :-) No, I'll look into
(figuratively speaking) the $160 down pants.

These are the MontBell's I could consider:
http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-...ner-pants-mens

Howard

Old October 16th 12, 09:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:34:34 PM UTC-7, Howard Lester wrote:
Thanks for the replies, as discouraging as they may be. I may have to spend

$160 for the cheapest pair of down pants. (I can always use them when I'm

out snowblowing or snowshoeing.) Remember, I'm fine from the butt up. I have

a wonderful Eddie Bauer down parka with the hood and all that... and a pair

of Hotfingers gloves. I don't use a laptop; I'm just out there looking. If I

want to get ambitious I'll bring out some charts and the red flashlight.

I find that my flannel-lined jeans aren't warm enough unless I am seated and

have a down "throw" over my thighs. Then, I'm warm. Maybe I could use bungee

cords to hold the throw while I'm standing. :-) No, I'll look into

(figuratively speaking) the $160 down pants.

These are the MontBell's I could consider:

http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-...ner-pants-mens

Howard

It is my experience that typical ski pants do not keep me warm, unless I have several other layers underneath. They just aren't intended for someone who is basically just standing around in the cold, skiers are very active, for the most part. If you just want to try ski pants, go to a local thrift or Goodwill store, they usually have lots of ski pants for very little money.. you certainly don't need the latest in fashion...

I was amazed when I first evaluated silk underwear, both tops and bottoms. For some reason, even thin silk is dramatic in helping to keep you warm, and I use silk liners under both my thinsulate gloves and my wool socks, and my hands and feet are never cold... anymore.

As far as boots, I found *last year's* Sorel boots on the clearance aisle at a local sporting goods store, good to -85 degrees. There are LOTS of used Sorel's on ebay...

Check ebay for used down pants, several possibilities there right now...

\Paul A

Old October 16th 12, 09:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

On 10/15/12 4:30 PM, Howard Lester wrote:
I'm "covered" from the butt up; below that, flannel-lined jeans don't
provide me enough warmth when I'm sitting or standing still, and it's 20
or 30 F degrees out. What do you cold-weather observers wear to keep you
warm? I would think down pants would be ideal, but I'm not willing to
spend $160, which is the least expensive of those I've seen so far.

Two requirements; insulating and windproofing.

Expedition weight longjohns from discount online for insulation - should
run in the $25 range.
Cheap waterproof rainpants for outerwear - bungee around boots and waist
to keep air infiltration down.

Also most heat is lost through the extremities - hands, feet, head; NOT
through torso, arms, legs. You need windproof fleece hat, gloves, and
Sorel style boots.

Take lessons from skiers, they've been out there in much colder weather,
and there's a lot more of them so prices can be lower, especially online.
Old October 16th 12, 10:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Howard Lester:
I find that my flannel-lined jeans aren't warm enough unless I am seated and
have a down "throw" over my thighs. Then, I'm warm. Maybe I could use bungee
cords to hold the throw while I'm standing. :-) No, I'll look into
(figuratively speaking) the $160 down pants.

That reminds me--I have an electric throw or throw-blanket or
what-you-call-it. It's smaller and more easily managed than an electric
blanket that is intended for bed use. It's easy to use in different
ways; over the shoulders like a serape, over the lap and legs....

BUT I'm sitting in a dry observatory. I don't imagine that an electric
blanket of any kind would be safe in damp conditions.