100 years from now... the "list of lists"

Old September 18th 11, 02:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill Blithe

Default 100 years from now... the "list of lists"

100 years from now, the people on earth will be looking back and saying:

1) Cigarettes really did cause cancer.
2) Cell phones caused malignant brain tumors.
3) Sachrrin was never harmful.
4) Sugar substitutes aren't good for the body.
5) I miss the Internet.
6) I'm tired of this interactive television.
7) What happened to several of my neighbor families who vanished without a
trace?
8) Why did members of my family just disappear?
9) Why can't the media just shut up about the man in white with the
sun-like object on his head.
10) Man-made global warming was a myth after all.
11) Why can't this guy in the suit shut up and keep things peaceful like he
has been doing instead of ranting about the man in white being just an
illusion.

Makes one really wonder about the future doesn't it.

Old September 18th 11, 03:07 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:48:28 -0400, "Bill Blithe"
wrote:

Makes one really wonder about the future doesn't it.

No. Most likely they'll be asking why you weren't properly medicated,
however.
Old September 18th 11, 03:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:
100 years from now, the people on earth will be looking back and

saying:

You don't know what future people will say about our times -- only
the future can tell that.

If you like, find some sci-fi novels about 100 years old and see what
they say about our times. Were they right?
Old September 18th 11, 03:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_64_]

"Bill Blithe" wrote in message
| 100 years from now, the people on earth will be looking back and saying:
|
| 1) Cigarettes really did cause cancer.
| 2) Cell phones caused malignant brain tumors.
| 3) Sachrrin was never harmful.
| 4) Sugar substitutes aren't good for the body.
| 5) I miss the Internet.
| 6) I'm tired of this interactive television.
| 7) What happened to several of my neighbor families who vanished without
| trace?
| 8) Why did members of my family just disappear?
| 9) Why can't the media just shut up about the man in white with the
| sun-like object on his head.
| 10) Man-made global warming was a myth after all.
| 11) Why can't this guy in the suit shut up and keep things peaceful like
he
| has been doing instead of ranting about the man in white being just an
| illusion.
|
| Makes one really wonder about the future doesn't it.

People on Earth 2000 years ago were looking forward and saying:
One day people will be able to talk to each other on the opposite
side of the world, be able to see each other as well, and it will take
less than a day to go there in a big silver bird that flies without
flapping its wings. And they won't need swords or spears or arrows,
they will be able to kill their enemies with lead pellets no bigger than
peas from a great and safe distance. Nor will they need horses, they'll
have chariots better than an emperor's that can travel faster than the
wind without any horse to pull them. People will cook food without
any fire, and the food will be plentiful with fruits and spices from all
over the world, on hand in your neighbourhood shop for a denarii
or two. Water will flow freely in every home, there will be no need
for anyone to dig outside pits for sanitation. And there will be ships
with no sails that move without any wind at all.
Great Wizards will make all this happen, and much, more.

Makes one really wonder about their future now that we are in it,
doesn't it?
Dream of Heaven all you want to, you'll gripe about the wine when
you get there.

Old September 18th 11, 04:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill Blithe

"Paul Schlyter" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:48:28 -0400, "Bill Blithe" wrote:
100 years from now, the people on earth will be looking back and

saying:

You don't know what future people will say about our times -- only the
future can tell that.

If you like, find some sci-fi novels about 100 years old and see what they
say about our times. Were they right?

Good point, but some of those predictions surely happened. The same with my
list, some of these things will happen. It's not meant to be absolute truth
anyway, more sarcasm based on my recent readings here.

Old September 18th 11, 04:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill Blithe

wrote:

Makes one really wonder about the future doesn't it.

No. Most likely they'll be asking why you weren't properly medicated,
however.

Now you're being a hypocrite. A "science denier" perhaps? Can't stomach
the bitter taste of some of these utterances? It wouldn't be difficult to
guess which ones, would it. Just my observation based on recent "evidence".

Old September 18th 11, 04:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 11:41:06 -0400, "Bill Blithe"
wrote:

Now you're being a hypocrite. A "science denier" perhaps? Can't stomach
the bitter taste of some of these utterances? It wouldn't be difficult to
guess which ones, would it. Just my observation based on recent "evidence".

Sure, I'll play along.

1) Cigarettes really did cause cancer.

There is no doubt of that now, and very few claim otherwise. No need
to wait 100 years.

2) Cell phones caused malignant brain tumors.

There is no evidence they do, and it is very doubtful if any will be
found in the next 100 years. This may be held up as an example of the
lay public's irrational fear of science and technology, however.

3) Sachrrin was never harmful.

Saccharin is probably slightly harmful, and it probably isn't
carcinogenic. This is the current view, and I doubt it will have
changed in 100 years.

4) Sugar substitutes aren't good for the body.

This is the current view, and I doubt it will change in 100 years
(although by then, there may be completely harmless sugar
substitutes).

5) I miss the Internet.

No doubt the Internet will still be here in some form or another. If
we are, anyway.

6) I'm tired of this interactive television.

I doubt anybody will know what a television is, unless it's from a
history book.

7) What happened to several of my neighbor families who vanished without a trace?

Starting to sound like the medications are wearing off...

8) Why did members of my family just disappear?

.... and continuing to wear off...

9) Why can't the media just shut up about the man in white with the sun-like object on his head.

Now it sounds as if the therapeutic medicine has been replace with
something, well, shall we say recreational?

10) Man-made global warming was a myth after all.

Nobody is going to be saying that. They might be thanking their lucky
stars that we finally decided to do something about it. Because if we
didn't, people 100 years from now are going to be too busy just trying
to survive to bother even asking any questions like this.

11) Why can't this guy in the suit shut up and keep things peaceful like he has been doing instead of ranting about the man in white being just an illusion.

Medicine...
Old September 18th 11, 04:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sep 18, 4:45*pm, Paul Schlyter wrote:
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:48:28 -0400, "Bill Blithe"
wrote: 100 years from now, the people on earth will be looking back and

saying:

You don't know what future people will say about our times -- only
the future can tell that.

They will see it dominated by a cult that snowballed from the late
17th century and threatened to cause Western civilization to almost
disintegrate,after all,when the followers of this empirical cult are
absolutely convinced the Earth doesn't turn once in a day and 1461
times in 1461 days this is going in a direction that should horrify
readers today.Alternatively they may see it as an era that finally
came to its senses and used technology and all its resources to move
in the proper direction,not just undoing the damage but genuine effort
that cares what it promotes.

Old September 18th 11, 05:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bill Blithe

wrote:

Now you're being a hypocrite. A "science denier" perhaps? Can't stomach
the bitter taste of some of these utterances? It wouldn't be difficult to
guess which ones, would it. Just my observation based on recent
"evidence".

Sure, I'll play along.

1) Cigarettes really did cause cancer.

There is no doubt of that now, and very few claim otherwise. No need
to wait 100 years.

Agreed.

2) Cell phones caused malignant brain tumors.

There is no evidence they do, and it is very doubtful if any will be
found in the next 100 years. This may be held up as an example of the
lay public's irrational fear of science and technology, however.

I think there will be a different technology by then because of the cell
phone problem. Microwave energy fields and human beings will never mix
without problems. Interesting that you dismiss cell phones entirely and
don't bother questioning man-made global warming in more depth. You know
there's actually some experimental evidence that cell phones may cause
cancer.

3) Sachrrin was never harmful.

Saccharin is probably slightly harmful, and it probably isn't
carcinogenic. This is the current view, and I doubt it will have
changed in 100 years.

No comment.

4) Sugar substitutes aren't good for the body.

This is the current view, and I doubt it will change in 100 years
(although by then, there may be completely harmless sugar
substitutes).

Perhaps.

5) I miss the Internet.

No doubt the Internet will still be here in some form or another. If
we are, anyway.

This I doubt very much. It already shows signs of collapse.

6) I'm tired of this interactive television.

I doubt anybody will know what a television is, unless it's from a
history book.

By "television", I meant a broad spectrum. We're talking LCD's, HDTV,
plasma, whatever. Actual CRT based TV's will have been long gone.

7) What happened to several of my neighbor families who vanished without
a trace?

Starting to sound like the medications are wearing off...

No they aren't.

8) Why did members of my family just disappear?

... and continuing to wear off...

Don't think so.

9) Why can't the media just shut up about the man in white with the
sun-like object on his head.

Now it sounds as if the therapeutic medicine has been replace with
something, well, shall we say recreational?

You may never know if you truly believe death is the end of it all.

10) Man-made global warming was a myth after all.

Nobody is going to be saying that. They might be thanking their lucky
stars that we finally decided to do something about it. Because if we
didn't, people 100 years from now are going to be too busy just trying
to survive to bother even asking any questions like this.

Now, you're starting to get the picture, but great survival difficulties
won't be because of man induced global warming.

11) Why can't this guy in the suit shut up and keep things peaceful like
he has been doing instead of ranting about the man in white being just an
illusion.

Medicine...

How often have you blinked your eyes and missed something? Pretty easy to
do if you're trying to watch lightning during a thunderstorm, but this is
just a tiny example of missing a much larger picture.

Old September 18th 11, 06:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:14:16 -0400, "Bill Blithe"
wrote:

I think there will be a different technology by then because of the cell
phone problem. Microwave energy fields and human beings will never mix
without problems. Interesting that you dismiss cell phones entirely and
don't bother questioning man-made global warming in more depth. You know
there's actually some experimental evidence that cell phones may cause
cancer.

What I said is that there is no evidence that cell phones cause
cancer. I could be more precise, and say that there is a tiny bit of
anecdotal evidence of a link between EM fields and cancer, and a large
body of much more rigorous evidence that the two are not related.
While it is possible that the view on this will be different in 100
years, I think it is extremely unlikely. I also think it is extremely
unlikely that our basic communications infrastructure will have moved
away from radio; indeed, we will be swimming in an even deeper EM sea
in 100 years.

5) I miss the Internet.

No doubt the Internet will still be here in some form or another. If
we are, anyway.

This I doubt very much. It already shows signs of collapse.

It certainly is evolving. I don't see any sign of it collapsing. Our
dependence on data networks seems to be increasing exponentially.

By "television", I meant a broad spectrum. We're talking LCD's, HDTV,
plasma, whatever. Actual CRT based TV's will have been long gone.

My comment had nothing to do with the actual display technology, but
with what we generally mean these days by "television" as a medium.

How often have you blinked your eyes and missed something? Pretty easy to
do if you're trying to watch lightning during a thunderstorm, but this is
just a tiny example of missing a much larger picture.

I don't think so. Actually, this belief in ghostly saviors is a
fundamental contributor to our likely decline. If we're actually here
in 100 years, I predict people will be looking back in disbelief that
people placed their hope and faith in the supernatural. If too many
continue to do so, we're doomed as a technological civilization.