Lessons from Japan

Old March 23rd 11, 11:37 PM posted to misc.survivalism,alt.survival,sci.astro.amateur,rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected]

Default Lessons from Japan

On Mar 23, 2:32*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Mar 23, 5:15*am, wrote:

On Mar 19, 1:40*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:

I missed the Staff Meeting but the Minutes record that
*reported Elvis on Sat, 19 Mar 2011 08:55:16
-0700 (PDT) in misc.survivalism:

On Mar 19, 11:21 am, Boris Kapusta wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 20:41:37 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:
On Mar 18, 10:10 pm, Boris Kapusta wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:11:37 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools

wrote:
Thought I would pass on a few bits of info concerning the Japan
earthquake.

Having friends there in the affected areas, they have noted that
landlines and satellite Internet still work for the most part.

Cell phone and cable/fiber service is almost nonexistent.

Water and power is sporadic at best.

Many people have only what they could grab and run with...so Bug Out
Bags do matter.

Many of those I know have yet to see anyone from the Government...so
they are on their own.

The weather is turning colder/snow so keeping warm without heat is the
theme of the day.

FWIW...I just returned from Maui and was there when the tsuami warning
was in effect...very interesting. Hawaii has gotten serious about
tsuami warnings since the Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004...California
has much to learn yet.

TMT

Nobody believes your bull****. We know for a fact that you never leave
your mommies' (both of them) basement.- Hide quoted text -

LOL...I see that you are projecting your pitiful existence once again.

TMT

How many mommies are too many, Too_Many_Mommies?

Lessons Learned:

1) Do not build nukes on seashores in seismically active areas.

2) Do not build nukes is seismically active areas.

3) Failing #1, keep the nukes' backup generators out of the reach of
tsunamis.

* * * * above all, Do not live anywhere near the ocean. * Otherwise,
you're at risk of being killed by Tsunamis. *Or Hurricanes. *Or sea
monsters, and sea raiders.

* * * * Oh, and don't live near the mountains, they can cause landslides,
snow slides, or pyroclastic flows. * And stay away from the forested
areas, they catch fire and will increase Global Warming, too.

Obviously, there are potential dangers everywhere. *Placing one's
backup generators underground in an area near a large body of water is
shortsighted, is it not?- Hide quoted text -

With a known risk of a tsuami.

It would seem it was just one of many shortcuts made.

A very good case for more government regulation of nuclear energy
worldwide.

Not at all. It IS a good case for smarter designs and better
contingency plans, things which we certainly cannot count on
governments to provide.

Old March 24th 11, 01:49 AM posted to misc.survivalism,alt.survival,sci.astro.amateur,rec.crafts.metalworking
T.T.[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

governments to provide.- Hide quoted text -

I disagree...what we are witnessing in Japan is the result of allowing
companies have their way.

If you consider that to be okay, then I recommend that you volunteer
to store spent fuel rods in yout backyard swimming pool...and
bathtub...and toilet.

As a conservative, you should be happy doing that without government
regulation.

TMT
It's obvious, isn't it.
Reactor design should be entrusted to newsgroups.

Old March 24th 11, 01:49 AM posted to misc.survivalism,alt.survival,sci.astro.amateur,rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Government ineptitude is the more likely cause. I think that TEPCO,
the builders of the plants, and the Japanese government should be
relentlessly ridiculed for letting all of the backup generators have a
single point of failure (flooding, due to whatever cause.)

If you consider that to be okay, then I recommend that you volunteer
to store spent fuel rods in yout backyard swimming pool...and
bathtub...and toilet.

Why would I do that? The companies can store the fuel rods on their
own property. There should be plenty of room.

As a conservative, you should be happy doing that without government
regulation.

Conservatives aren't against regulations. In fact, we believe in a
nation of laws.

Most conservatives would also agree that you are an idiot. Maybe even
a few liberals would too.
Old March 24th 11, 01:53 AM posted to misc.survivalism,alt.survival,sci.astro.amateur,rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Well, there is the design of the reactor, the design of the plant, the
design of a contingency plan, among other considerations.
Old March 24th 11, 07:41 PM posted to misc.survivalism,alt.survival,sci.astro.amateur,rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

wrote:
[...]

a few liberals would too.- Hide quoted text -

When conforted with the Truth, the conservative first attempts to
distract and then the voice of reason.

You are a textbook conservative fool.

Go fill your bathtub...your share of the spent fuel rods are coming.

TMT

TMT
Old March 26th 11, 01:43 AM posted to misc.survivalism,alt.survival,sci.astro.amateur,rec.crafts.metalworking
CaveLamb

John R. Carroll wrote:

I think that the American Dream is alive, well, and living in the Peoples
Republic of China.

For those who skipped 124 lines of ditto....

THIS was one you didn't want to miss.

--

Richard Lamb
Old March 26th 11, 01:49 AM posted to misc.survivalism,alt.survival,sci.astro.amateur,rec.crafts.metalworking
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

How about we ship them a couple thousand environmental
whackos? I'll help pay for the plane fare. Just imagine a
Felix and Oscar event, when the Oscar Madison type Chinese
are slugging along with their factories, and Felix the
Environmentalist comes along and notices all the pollution
in the water.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I think that the American Dream is alive, well, and living
in the Peoples
Republic of China.

Largely due to the addition of an average of two new
coal-fired power
plants per week. That, and a labor force of a billion-plus.

Old March 26th 11, 01:57 AM posted to misc.survivalism,alt.survival,sci.astro.amateur,rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

On Mar 25, 8:43*pm, CaveLamb wrote:
John R. Carroll wrote:

I think that the American Dream is alive, well, and living in the Peoples
Republic of China.

For those who skipped 124 lines of ditto....

THIS was one you didn't want to miss.

--

Richard Lamb

I think the American Dream is alive in the United States...just not
well.

TMT

Lessons from Japan Boris Kapusta Amateur Astronomy 49 April 11th 11 08:22 AM
The End For Japan---Thank You Officer Warhol For Japan Earthquake Warning nightbat[_1_] Misc 45 April 2nd 11 08:33 PM
Lessons from Japan Too_Many_Tools Amateur Astronomy 3 April 1st 11 11:19 PM
Lessons learnt Tim Auton UK Astronomy 2 June 8th 04 03:13 PM
Lessons Learned Rand Simberg Policy 14 December 23rd 03 05:37 AM