IC 39 The Flying Fish Galaxy? Repost AGAIN

Old April 16th 15, 01:15 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default IC 39 The Flying Fish Galaxy? Repost AGAIN

This post keeps disappearing, why I don't know. So replacing it yet again.

As you've likely figured out I love the strange and different. Typical looking objects don't interest me. Though I take them from time to time mainly because everyone expects me to. With this one I return to my love of the very different.

IC 39 aka NGC 178 is considered part of the NGC 210 group and is located in western Cetus about at my southern declination limit. Fortunately I had better than normal seeing though poor transparency the night I took this image. NGC 178 was discovered by Ormond Stone on November 3, 1885 but he got the coordinates wrong, especially the Right Ascension value. Apparently he was rather known for this type of error. Due to the error Stephane Javelle found it on August 26, 1892. Not realizing it a duplicate it was included in the IC catalog as entry 39 with the correct coordinates.

While its discovery is confusing its nature is even more confusing. It is classified by NED as SB(s)m. Various papers indicate it has likely been involved in an interaction, is now interacting with a galaxy and what we are seeing is a double galaxy or is the result of a merger. Flip your three sided coin and pick one.

Redshift puts it 52 million light-years distant while a single Tully estimate puts it 60 million light-years away. Rather good agreement. The arc of blue knots on the right side is considered to mark a spiral arm. What all the reddish knots in the upper central part are I couldn't discover. The split tail may indicate stars ripped from a galaxy it interacted with, or maybe two of them? I find this one hard to understand. To me it looks like galactic fish flying straight up. As usual I put north at the top.

To the east is IC 41 which is over three times as distant by redshift measurement. It appears to me to be a sloshed spiral. Below it at the same redshift is NGC 207. Could it be what sloshed IC 41. It seems too small though it too looks somewhat disturbed.

Further east is a knot of distant red galaxies, two of which appear to be interacting. Except for being listed in the 2MASS catalog by position there's nothing on this group, not even a designation of it being a group. I expected it would at least make the SHK catalog of galaxy groups but its not there. Even further east is LEDA 087754 an edge on spiral at 300 light-years. It's northwestern side being much brighter than the southeastern side. Is that just due to dust obscuring it or is that arm shorter and less dense with stars?

The only other galaxy in the image I annotated lies to the northwest of IC 178 and is the most distant that I found a redshift for. It is only listed by its coordinates in several catalogs and unclassified though appears to be a spiral.

Other than two asteroids that barely made it though the gunky low skies there was nothing else worth annotating in the image. While seeing was well above normal at this low altitude transparency was very poor and the skies very bright. Both of which cut into my signal to noise ratio.

For those interested in more on the story of how IC 39 got two designations that is discussed under their entries at the NGC Project. I mentioned it is considered part of the NGC 210 group. I posted that one back on September 28, 2010. It is out of the field to the upper right. I could have just fit them into one frame but both would have been right at the edge. Since the two overlap only slightly at the corners I didn't mosaic the two images. My image of NGC 210 is at: http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...tid=3160&stc=1 I need to reprocess it as my took kit for processing these has improved greatly since then.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC0039L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	5638  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC0039L4X10RGB2X10CROP125.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	5639  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC0039L4X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	5640
Old April 16th 15, 05:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

WA0CKY wrote in news:WA0CKY.f74c4e9
@spacebanter.com:

This post keeps disappearing, why I don't know. So replacing it yet
again.

Over here on alt.binaries.pictures.astro, I've seen all four posts
of this image (including this one).

And I saw both posts of Magakian 13.

And, I don't see any of the links in your posts that you mentioned.
I know there are browser hijacks that can cause this.

BTW, keep 'em coming!! Your pictures are beautiful. They're wonderful
targets and your informative descriptions are educational. I look
forward to them.

Brian
--
http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/index.php - Earth Sciences discussion
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old April 17th 15, 07:56 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

The posts (entire not just images) are vanishing from Space Banter after a few days. They will be there for a day or two, week or two or even a month then suddenly phfft it is gone. Like some backup restore went awry. Space Banter mirrors to alt.binaries.pictures.astro. Those, being on your news server don't vanish. So when I repost to get it back on Space Banter those seeing it on a news server get a second copy or even a third sometimes. Very frustrating.

Rick

Give a man a fish ... Hägar Misc 1 March 23rd 13 07:22 PM
Flying cars wallpaper called 'Become Flying Car' (organize desktopicons around in picture) [email protected] Policy 0 November 7th 08 08:18 PM
New fish neopeius History 13 July 1st 06 07:53 AM
Fish on Geysers Mark Earnest Misc 1 March 22nd 06 05:41 AM
Bad Fish for Good Double-A Misc 35 October 25th 04 06:54 PM