The greatest genius who ever lived?

Old October 8th 11, 03:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Peter Webb[_4_]

Default The greatest genius who ever lived?

"Davoud" wrote in message
Peter Webb:
Modern market economies are based on very Darwinian concepts of
competition
for scarce resources and survival of the fittest.

I think that Darwin was talking about species rather than individuals.
He struggled to understand altruism in the context of his theory, and
evolutionists have yet to adequately understand altruism.

Bull****.

Have you never read "The Selfish Gene" (for example) which considers
altrusim at length (as one might expect from the title)?

It cannot be denied, however, that unbridled greed, the foundation of
the capitalist system, is an exceedingly powerful motivator.

The foundation of the capitalist system is not *unbridled* greed.

Marx is a historical footnote in comparison; the inventor of an economic
system that didn't work.

That's one opinion. Others would opine that Marx was the proponent of
an economic system that has never been implemented, so it is impossible
to say whether it would work or not.

This would seem to eliminate Marx from a list of the world's greatest
geniuses, if his theories have never been used successfully.

Recall that I did not say that Marx was the greatest philosopher known
to have lived, but I indicated that his philosophy is estimable and
worthy of consideration along with that of other great philosophers.

No its not.

Firstly, the issue is "genius", not whether they were good philosphers.

Secondly, economic systems built on Marxist principles didn't actually work.

If you are looking for a list of the greatest geniuses of history, there are
plenty who had ideas that were correct and changed the world for the better.
Marx is not among them.

Davoud

--
I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything
that

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Old October 8th 11, 04:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_64_]

"Davoud" wrote in message
| Peter Webb:
| Modern market economies are based on very Darwinian concepts of
competition
| for scarce resources and survival of the fittest.
|
| I think that Darwin was talking about species rather than individuals.

Darwin was talking about species rather than individuals, and market
economies
are based on very Darwinian concepts of competition for resources and
survival
of the adaptive.
Do you have any empirical evidence to support your outlandish claim that you
think?

Old October 8th 11, 04:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
T.T.[_2_]

I am one of the pedants who believe that the word "genius" refers to people
who have an inner drive, over which they have limited control, to produce
great things.
Of these, few can match Mozart.
He has said that at times the music wrote itself and that he did little to
alter it. Other composers, such as Beethoven, wrote more powerful and more
emotional music, but they wrote and re-wrote and polished and edited. There
must be a better word than "genius" to describe them and I would like to
hear what it is.

Old October 8th 11, 04:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_4_]

Davoud wrote in :

[...]

You could say the same of Hobbs, but he clearly did not understand human
nature. Neither did Marx.
Old October 8th 11, 05:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 21:04:18 -0500, Rich wrote:

P.A.M. Dirac?
Albert Einstein?
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe?
Steven Hawking?
Ludwig Van Beethoven?
Leonardo DaVinci?
Michaelangelo Buonarotti?

There are thousands of people alive today as intelligent as any of
these. Genius is common... what isn't so common is the confluence of
conditions, events, and outright luck that lead to one specific smart
person being in the right place at the right time with the right idea
to produce something that is remembered as a first.
Old October 8th 11, 07:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_64_]

"T.T." wrote in message
ond.com...

| I am one of the pedants who believe that the word "genius" refers to
people
| who have an inner drive, over which they have limited control, to produce
| great things.
| Of these, few can match Mozart.
| He has said that at times the music wrote itself and that he did little to
| alter it. Other composers, such as Beethoven, wrote more powerful and more
| emotional music, but they wrote and re-wrote and polished and edited.
There
| must be a better word than "genius" to describe them and I would like to
| hear what it is.

Music is art, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Whenever you hear someone say "I know what I like" the truth is they
like what they know. Music by its very nature is fundamentally repetitive,
the variations and embellishments are what you are calling "polished
and edited". The first four notes of Beethoven's 5th are repeated
throughout the entire symphony, three the same, the fourth pitched
lower or higher and of longer duration. The duration may be extended
by a rest or a slur. What does "emotional" mean? Sadness? Joy?
Study it; descending notes are sad, ascending notes are happy.
If genius is to evoke an emotional response then a soccer team
is genius, but if genius is to write new mathematics as Newton
did then genius is intelligence.

Old October 8th 11, 07:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Oct 8, 6:59*am, Chris L Peterson wrote:

There are thousands of people alive today as intelligent as any of
these. Genius is common... what isn't so common is the confluence of
conditions, events, and outright luck that lead to one specific smart
person being in the right place at the right time with the right idea
to produce something that is remembered as a first.

Perhaps Marx is blamed unfairly for corrupt humanity's interpretation
of their great prophet's ideas? He certainly foresaw and predicted the
unspeakable horrors of unbridled capitalism. The "trickle down"
mechanism seems a **** poor provider in Gawd's own country. Free
market capitalism, personal greed and acquisition, aided and abetted
by chronic levels of religion, have failed miserably for the vast
majority. Even the minority, who benefit most, choose a wide variety
of escapist devices.

As already stated, there has never been a universally beneficial
political system. Personal greed and corruption will always derail the
best laid plans. Or outside interference will undermine its
foundations. We always seem to choose electoral systems which allow
the wrong people to rise to positions of power. Most are easily
corruptible psychopaths. It's entirely in their nature to seek
advancement. And, to dehumanise and degrade everybody else once it is
achieved.

Is genius really the same thing as great wisdom? Or even some very
special clarity of foresight? Surely, mere inventiveness is a by-
product of time and place? Has anybody in history actually produced
"alien technology" out of nothing? They may have produced imaginative
drawings but they never made the jump forwards into future
technologies while still in their own time.

Why do we not place great value and make legends of those who have had
the most benefit for humanity? We measure men by the number of deaths
they have caused for our team leader's advancement in the race for
individual power and wealth above all others. What value has another
billion dollars when one cannot spend the first ten on anything of
intrinsic value? We merely loan that which we buy for the duration of
our ownership. Unless we destroy it with our own hands.

Can you imagine the gnawing emptiness of owning a vast home full of
trinkets and daubs? Do they imagine they have succeeded at maximising
their strictly allotted time? Do they still pine for the next daub and
trinket? Like island natives. Bought by and parading up and down. In
their bright, new, plastic beads. Pretending self-importance. Like
wide-eyed children at a birthday party. Making themselves sick on cake
and chocolate and cream.
Old October 9th 11, 02:59 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

T.T.:

I am one of the pedants who believe that the word "genius" refers to people
who have an inner drive, over which they have limited control, to produce
great things.
Of these, few can match Mozart.
He has said that at times the music wrote itself and that he did little to
alter it. Other composers, such as Beethoven, wrote more powerful and more
emotional music, but they wrote and re-wrote and polished and edited. There
must be a better word than "genius" to describe them and I would like to
hear what it is.

I believe that Bach was a far greater genius than Mozart--when I'm
listening to Bach. When I'm listening to Mozart I believe that Mozart
was a far greater genius than Bach. I'm glad I don't have to choose
between them, but I can easily choose the pair of them above all other
composers.

A musicologist speaking on Michael Lawrence's two-DVD documentary "Bach
and Friends" said that he didn't think that Bach composed in the way
that others did. He realized the music, played it, and wrote it down
later, the man asserted.

Please see http://mlfilms.com. The site also has a tribute to Steve
Jobs, whose contribution, first to music composers, producers, and
performers through Macintosh computers, then to the accessibility of
music through iTunes, the iPod, and other iOS devices, has also had a
huge impact on the world.

Davoud

Old October 9th 11, 03:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Helpful person

On Oct 7, 9:59*pm, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 21:04:18 -0500, Rich wrote:

There are thousands of people alive today as intelligent as any of
these. Genius is common... what isn't so common is the confluence of
conditions, events, and outright luck that lead to one specific smart
person being in the right place at the right time with the right idea
to produce something that is remembered as a first.

What you say is very true. However, there are a few that have been in
the right place at the right time with the right idea several times.
Einstein and Newton both stand out in this category. My lack of
knowledge omits others.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Old October 11th 11, 03:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken S. Tucker

On Oct 6, 7:04 pm, Rich wrote:
P.A.M. Dirac?
Albert Einstein?
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe?
Steven Hawking?
Ludwig Van Beethoven?
Leonardo DaVinci?
Michaelangelo Buonarotti?

Bill Gates ... must come in 2nd.
He donated two computers to our library.
Ken