Remember the movie, "Prince of Darkness?"

Old September 23rd 11, 02:27 AM posted to rec.arts.movies.past-films,sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_4_]

Default Remember the movie, "Prince of Darkness?"

Messages from the future, from the Brotherhood of Sleep, using Tachyon's,
theoretical particles that travel faster than light? Well....

BBC:

22 September 2011 Last updated at 13:28 ET
Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at Cern
By Jason Palmer Science and technology reporter, BBC News

Puzzling results from Cern, home of the LHC, have confounded physicists -
because it appears subatomic particles have exceeded the speed of light.

Neutrinos sent through the ground from Cern toward the Gran Sasso
laboratory 732km away seemed to show up a tiny fraction of a second
early.

The result - which threatens to upend a century of physics - will be put
online for scrutiny by other scientists.

In the meantime, the group says it is being very cautious about its
claims.

"We tried to find all possible explanations for this," said report author
Antonio Ereditato of the Opera collaboration.

"We wanted to find a mistake - trivial mistakes, more complicated
mistakes, or nasty effects - and we didn't," he told BBC News.

"When you don't find anything, then you say 'Well, now I'm forced to go
out and ask the community to scrutinise this.'"
Caught speeding?

The speed of light is the Universe's ultimate speed limit, and much of
modern physics - as laid out in part by Albert Einstein in his special
theory of relativity - depends on the idea that nothing can exceed it.

Thousands of experiments have been undertaken to measure it ever more
precisely, and no result has ever spotted a particle breaking the limit.

But Dr Ereditato and his colleagues have been carrying out an experiment
for the last three years that seems to suggest neutrinos have done just
that.

Neutrinos come in a number of types, and have recently been seen to
switch spontaneously from one type to another.

The team prepares a beam of just one type, muon neutrinos, sending them
from Cern to an underground laboratory at Gran Sasso in Italy to see how
many show up as a different type, tau neutrinos.

In the course of doing the experiments, the researchers noticed that the
particles showed up a few billionths of a second sooner than light would
over the same distance.

The team measured the travel times of neutrino bunches some 15,000 times,
and have reached a level of statistical significance that in scientific
circles would count as a formal discovery.

But the group understands that what are known as "systematic errors"
could easily make an erroneous result look like a breaking of the
ultimate speed limit, and that has motivated them to publish their
measurements.

"My dream would be that another, independent experiment finds the same
thing - then I would be relieved," Dr Ereditato said.

But for now, he explained, "we are not claiming things, we want just to
be helped by the community in understanding our crazy result - because it
is crazy".

"And of course the consequences can be very serious."
Old September 23rd 11, 02:32 AM posted to rec.arts.movies.past-films,sci.astro.amateur
T.T.[_2_]

"Rich" wrote in message
Messages from the future, from the Brotherhood of Sleep, using Tachyon's,
theoretical particles that travel faster than light? Well....

What do you mean, "inches"?

Old September 23rd 11, 07:24 AM posted to rec.arts.movies.past-films,sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Sep 23, 3:32*am, "T.T." wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

... Messages from the future, from the Brotherhood of Sleep, using Tachyon's,
theoretical particles that travel faster than light? *Well.... *

What do you mean, "inches"?

"An inch is as good as a mile." ;-)
Old September 23rd 11, 02:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
the antiathiest

There are things about science that will never be explained, at least not by
mankind. Which is why basing life on science only particulars doesn't work.

Old September 23rd 11, 02:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert[_3_]

In "the antiathiest"
wrote:

There are things about science that will never be explained, at least
not by mankind.

Never be explained? You can see the future?

--
St. Paul, MN
Old September 23rd 11, 03:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_64_]

"Bert" wrote in message
.. .
| In "the antiathiest"
| wrote:
|
| There are things about science that will never be explained, at least
| not by mankind.
|
| Never be explained? You can see the future?

Of course he can, he's got a crystal ball, tea leaves, he read palms,
he writes horoscopes in the newspapers, he studies the planets and
calls them stars, and he's a fully paid-up card-carrying member of the
Church of Neolithic and Iron Age Scribblings by Semitic Prophets
Who Profited.

Old September 23rd 11, 04:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
the antiathiest

"Bert" wrote in message
.. .
In "the antiathiest"
wrote:

There are things about science that will never be explained, at least
not by mankind.

Never be explained? You can see the future?

No, but it's logical. Is there anything in history that has ever been fully
explained? Me thinks not.

Old September 23rd 11, 05:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Sep 23, 5:38*pm, "the antiathiest" wrote:

No, but it's logical. *Is there anything in history that has ever been fully
explained? *Me thinks not.

I'm fairly sure your mindset will never be fully explained. Excused as
parental-forcing induced, mass hysteria possibly? But never any
logical explanation which would fully satisfy any sane member of
society. Perhaps I should narrow that to the sane but reasonably
intelligent. Only their imaginary god knows what over half the human
population is thinking. Just bad genes, I suppose. Fix the god gene
and some other lunacy would pop up to replace it. Believing spectator
sports have some value to society would be the most likely result.
Memorising results must come close to memorising the verses of the
bible as a complete waste of 6 million years of human, mental
development. The only result I could ever remember was: Romans 1
Christian Wanderers 0. (after a late kick-off)
Old September 23rd 11, 05:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Androcles[_64_]

"the antiathiest" wrote in message

| "Bert" wrote in message
| .. .
| In "the antiathiest"
| wrote:
|
| There are things about science that will never be explained, at least
| not by mankind.
|
| Never be explained? You can see the future?
|
| No, but it's logical. Is there anything in history that has ever been
fully
| explained? Me thinks not.

You've always had an explanation for everything, every ****wit does.
"gawd made it".

I do agree with "you thinks not". Thinking for you would be a miracle.

Old September 23rd 11, 06:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
the antiathiest

Let me just say that most people against God do so for a reason. Lots of
times, they follow in line with their parents, relative, etc. So don't
forget that too.

If you don't want to believe and desire either your own belief system or no
belief system at all, that's up to you. You will eventually have to answer
for it on judgement day.