Is PLUTO making a comeback to be a planet again?

Old October 3rd 14, 01:18 AM posted to alt.astronomy
News[_2_]

Default Is PLUTO making a comeback to be a planet again?

"The IAU should never have pretended to have the expertise to enter into
this debate. It's a matter for planetary scientists, not astronomers."
--Alan Stern, investigator for the New Horizons spacecraft mission to Pluto
(launched Jan. 19, 2006)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/tech/i...html?hpt=hp_t2

"Is demoted planet Pluto making a comeback?"

by Amanda Barnett
updated Thu. October 2, 2014 1:48pm EDT

(CNN) -- Poor Pluto. Is it or isn't it a planet?

Ever since astronomer Clyde Tombaugh at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff,
Arizona, discovered it on February 18, 1930, we've believed that we live in
a solar system with nine planets.

Then, along came the International Astronomical Union, the group that gets
to name planetary bodies. In 2006, it came up with some rules for what is
and is not a planet. The group decided Pluto didn't make the grade.

It was demoted to a dwarf planet, leaving our solar system with just eight
planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

The union says a planet is a celestial body (PDF) [1] that:

1. Orbits the sun
2. Is round or nearly round
3. Has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit

Pluto orbits the sun, and it's round. It got kicked out as a planet because
of rule No. 3: The astronomical union said Pluto was too small to knock
other space rocks out of its path as it orbits the sun.

But the group's definitions -- and the public's attachment to tiny Pluto --
sparked lots of debate. On September 18, the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for
Astrophysics jumped into the debate: [2] What is a planet? It had some
experts discuss the definition of a planet and then let the audience vote.
Guess what? They voted that Pluto is a planet. [3]

One person who never accepted Pluto's demotion is Alan Stern, principal
investigator for the New Horizons spacecraft [4], the first spacecraft sent
to Pluto. He said Pluto was given the boot because of its distance from the
sun.

"In fact, if you put Earth where Pluto is, it would be excluded!" Stern
said. "Any definition of planethood that excludes Earth, in any
circumstance, is deeply flawed. After all, if there is any object everyone
agrees is a planet, it's Earth."

And he agrees with those in the audience at that Harvard panel discussion.

"I think the public is better suited to this than astronomers, at least,"
Stern said. "The IAU should never have pretended to have the expertise to
enter into this debate. It's a matter for planetary scientists, not
astronomers."

Don't forget that the other eight planets also have their differences:
Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars are rocky; Jupiter and Saturn are gas giants;
and Uranus and Neptune are ice giants.

"This is really about a revolution in planetary science," Stern said. "We're
seeing that what we used to know about the number and variety of planets was
very data limited until the mid- to late 1990s. Now we know that there are
lots of types of planets."

NASA's decades-old Voyager 2 mission is a preview of new mission to Pluto
[5]

When New Horizons arrives at Pluto in July, it might not end the debate over
Pluto's status as a planet, but Stern says the mission is "going to be
mind-blowing."

The spacecraft has to survive what Stern calls the "seven weeks of
suspense," dodging asteroids as zips toward Pluto. Then, we'll finally get a
detailed, amazing photos of the tiny world. Planet or not, Pluto is finally
coming into focus.

[1] https://www.iau.org/static/resolutio...n_GA26-5-6.pdf

[2] http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/2014-25

[3] https://www.youtube.com/user/ObsNights

[4] http://pluto.jhuapl.edu

[5] http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/24/us/nas...ges/index.html

Old October 3rd 14, 03:30 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Arc Michael

a planet is defined by a moon or its moons. Pluto has two, so yes, it is a planet. The tard that downgraded him was using a non politically correct classism argument based upon the size of the belly ( i mean planet) not just his fat belly that perhaps why he downgraded Pluto, his belly was larger than this ice ball .

Old October 3rd 14, 02:19 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Dean Markley

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:30:37 PM UTC-4, Arc Michael wrote:
a planet is defined by a moon or its moons. Pluto has two, so yes, it is a planet. The tard that downgraded him was using a non politically correct classism argument based upon the size of the belly ( i mean planet) not just his fat belly that perhaps why he downgraded Pluto, his belly was larger than this ice ball .

So, according to you, Mercury and Venus are not planets?
Old October 3rd 14, 03:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Rocky[_2_]

"News" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks for the post and I'd like to see Pluto a planet again.

Rocky

Old October 3rd 14, 04:36 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Dean Markley

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:30:37 PM UTC-4, Arc Michael wrote:
a planet is defined by a moon or its moons. Pluto has two, so yes, it is a planet. The tard that downgraded him was using a non politically correct classism argument based upon the size of the belly ( i mean planet) not just his fat belly that perhaps why he downgraded Pluto, his belly was larger than this ice ball .

And Pluto has at least 5 moons. Try to keep up.
Old October 3rd 14, 10:49 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:30:37 PM UTC-7, Arc Michael wrote:
a planet is defined by a moon or its moons. Pluto has two, so yes, it is a planet. The tard that downgraded him was using a non politically correct classism argument based upon the size of the belly ( i mean planet) not just his fat belly that perhaps why he downgraded Pluto, his belly was larger than this ice ball .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moons_of_Pluto

Double-A

Old October 4th 14, 12:06 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Arc Michael

On Friday, October 3, 2014 6:19:27 AM UTC-7, Dean Markley wrote:
On Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:30:37 PM UTC-4, Arc Michael wrote:

a planet is defined by a moon or its moons. Pluto has two, so yes, it is a planet. The tard that downgraded him was using a non politically correct classism argument based upon the size of the belly ( i mean planet) not just his fat belly that perhaps why he downgraded Pluto, his belly was larger than this ice ball .

So, according to you, Mercury and Venus are not planets?

nope the ancient called them 'stars.'
Old October 4th 14, 12:12 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Arc Michael

On Friday, October 3, 2014 8:36:14 AM UTC-7, Dean Markley wrote:
On Thursday, October 2, 2014 10:30:37 PM UTC-4, Arc Michael wrote:

a planet is defined by a moon or its moons. Pluto has two, so yes, it is a planet. The tard that downgraded him was using a non politically correct classism argument based upon the size of the belly ( i mean planet) not just his fat belly that perhaps why he downgraded Pluto, his belly was larger than this ice ball .

And Pluto has at least 5 moons. Try to keep up.

and when u get a better tele or spacecraft there will be more, whoopdiee dooo.

here u go duffas brains.

asteres planetai (ἀστ*ρες πλανῆται), "wandering stars" --- so you are wrong. U just listen to what the TV tells u and u go bomkers, insane, on top of your natural insanity?

who cares if pluto smaller than our MOON DUFFAS BOY, is a planet or not. That was the modern science argument about pLuto by the downgrader.

those moons are much smaller than asteroids , duffas. Therefore the modern terms then apply and those are not MOONs.

Again, I ask you, are u mentally retarded?

do u need directions to the nearest insanity ward or are u already being held captive by it?

who cares. lolz.

Old October 6th 14, 03:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Dean Markley

On Friday, October 3, 2014 7:12:29 PM UTC-4, Arc Michael wrote:
[...]

You are really showing yourself to be somewhat illiterate and unknowledgeable. You are making up definitions according to your own mind as opposed to the current scientific definitions.

You were clearly wrong when you stated Pluto had only two moons. Then when the correct number was pointed out, you started with verbal abuse and then decided all by yourself that they are not really moons.

Perhaps you should take yourself somewhere else where somebody might listen to your nonsense.
Old October 8th 14, 01:28 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Tony Lance[_13_]

Hi Saul,
Long time no see.
Outlandish Planetary System Orbits and Gathering Periods Table by Tony Lance
Every 500 years the 9 solar system planets gather as if for a group photograph.
This table works out the period of time for the groups for 447 solar systems.
The biggest thing of this table is the small error margins every time.
Column four shows period and error margin for each. (see link)
http://www.bigberthathing.com/exoplanets.html
Thank you,