Go China!

Old December 7th 10, 02:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Anonymous[_3_]

Default Go China!

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...tion-missions-
101206.html

China wants to send manned expeditions to the Moon and Mars. Go China!

Look, I'm normally rooting for the U.S. and Western nations, but it
seems the U.S. especially is still resting on its Apollo laurels. So
I'm therefore cheering for China. After all, we're all human, Chinese
or American, so if one of us goes there we glee in pride.

The Chinese still have something to prove and are willing to make
sacrifices to get there. IMHO it will be a great humiliation for the
U.S. if China performs a manned flyby of Mars and one which could have
great political impact, the world's leading democracy beaten by a
Communist dictatorship. I'm pretty sure Russia sees China as an
example, a capitalist dictatorship where the people are being kept
happy by material wealth. If China surpasses the U.S. technologically
many more nations could form the conclusion that democracy isn't a
prerequisite for success. I've already come to the conclusion that
Western civilization reached its peak at the turn of the century
(2000). Since 9/11 everything has gone downhill and our privacy and
Constitutional rights are more and more being infringed upon by our so-
called democratic governments. I wouldn't be surprised that in a 100
years hence most Western nations will essentially be authoritarian
dictatorships with a thin sauce of democracy.

Old December 7th 10, 07:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

" China wants to send manned expeditions to the Moon and Mars. Go China!

Look, I'm normally rooting for the U.S. and Western nations, but it
seems the U.S. especially is still resting on its Apollo laurels. So
I'm therefore cheering for China. After all, we're all human, Chinese
or American, so if one of us goes there we glee in pride.

The Obama administration seems intent on completely dismantling the NASA
manned program beyond LEO, and turning the LEO portion over to commercial
operations. When you have the head of NASA make a speech saying his primary
goal is reaching out to third world countries and involve them in NASA
programs, things have indeed sunk to a new low. We keep hearing speeches of
how we do not produce technology students - yet the real rewards are all in
legal and financial professions. I could fill pages with examples like
students that received thier PhDs in reactor design based on US committment
to the Nuclear Power industry only to have it cancelled a few monthe before
graduation, Students that devoted their grad school studies to the Super
Collider only to have it cancelled, the big push for engineering and science
graduates in the fifties and sixties followed by the mass lay-offs in the
seventies as many programs from Apollo to the US supersonic airliner were
terminated. It also doesn't help that NASA ceased manned exploration and
spent the last several decades on uninspiring LEO operations on a misguided
shuttle program that promised really cheap LEO operations and in reality
restricted access to space. They also promised all sorts advancements from
the space station that never happened - there's really no excitement in
fixing toilets in space. The Apollo planners had Venus flybys and
Mars/asteroid flybys being studied using Saturn V Apollo systems - this was
back in the late 60s and early 70s. But instead we shut down the Saturn line
and focused on LEO and the shuttle.

Old December 8th 10, 04:12 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Dec 7, 11:15*am, "Val Kraut" wrote:
[...]

They need at least another hundred billion, so how much loot did you
give to NASA?

~ BG

~ BG
Old December 8th 10, 04:13 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Dec 7, 6:07*am, Anonymous wrote:
[...]

Why shouldn't China advance on all possible off-world matters?

~ BG
Old December 8th 10, 11:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 8/12/2010 1:07 AM, Anonymous wrote:
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...tion-missions-
101206.html

China wants to send manned expeditions to the Moon and Mars. Go China!

Look, I'm normally rooting for the U.S. and Western nations, but it
seems the U.S. especially is still resting on its Apollo laurels. So
I'm therefore cheering for China. After all, we're all human,

The Chinese aren't human, they're communists. They're scum.
Old December 8th 10, 06:19 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 12/8/2010 3:24 AM, Alan Erskine wrote:

The Chinese aren't human, they're communists. They're scum.

Outside Alan's window, the Magpie saw what he had just typed on his
keyboard...a name was noted on the bird's next report to Beijing, and
the GPS coordinates of where he lived stored away for future use.
Kookaburra photoreconnaissance would be the next step, then the tiny but
terribly toxic coneshell dart could be more accurately targeted.
Amazing how many Australians manage to get stung on the top of their
head by coneshell snails.

pat

Old December 9th 10, 06:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected] |

On Dec 8, 3:24*am, Alan Erskine wrote:
On 8/12/2010 1:07 AM, Anonymous wrote:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...tion-missions-
101206.html

China wants to send manned expeditions to the Moon and Mars. Go China!

Look, I'm normally rooting for the U.S. and Western nations, but it
seems the U.S. especially is still resting on its Apollo laurels. So
I'm therefore cheering for China. After all, we're all human,

The Chinese aren't human, they're communists. *They're scum.

And if they go to the Moon or Mars, they'll be irradiated scum unless
they
really advance the tech.

China TSE Beta Persei Astro Pictures 0 July 29th 09 06:16 PM
...Olympic Torch Begins Journey across China...will China burn in it's wake??? jonathan[_2_] Policy 4 March 24th 08 10:53 PM
To China gb[_3_] Astronomy Misc 4 March 23rd 08 08:21 PM
After the Beijing Olympics...China Will Go For Taiwan! China Threatens to Nuke US (article) jonathan Policy 29 August 2nd 05 11:35 PM
After China Dave Downing Space Science Misc 14 October 18th 03 07:31 PM