ASTRO: IC 59-63

Old December 31st 11, 08:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: IC 59-63

Brown nebula Ced 4a
IC 63 is Ced 4b Ghost at bottom
IC 59 is LBN 620
Faint object above IC 63 may be [FT96] 124.0-1.8

The complex is Sh2-185. Oddly the Sharpless catalog says IC 61 is part
of Sh2-185. Since that object is a galaxy far to the south they
obviously meant something else. I just don't know what.
http://galaxymap.org/cgi-bin/details....5&name=S18 5

_____________

IC 59/LBN 620 (top) and IC 63/ Ced 4b bottom are not long for this
universe. Gamma Cassiopeiae is rapidly eroding them. Red H alpha
emission at their bow shock regions toward Gamma with the area behind
being blue reflection nebula they are quite colorful. Many image these
using H alpha for the luminance channel. That tends to play down the
reflection nebula portion. I used luminance data with only H alpha
added for the bow shock region to preserve the reflection nebula areas
as well as star color. Besides the two IC nebulae there's another cloud
toward the upper left of my image. Simbad says this is [FT96]
124.0-1.8. The tiny nebula around an orange star above center is Ced
4a. It never seems to get any respect so I had to mention it. It has
an orange color so I assume it is reflecting the star's light. Being
the color of the star it is probably behind the star. I wasn't able to
determine if it is in any way connected with IC 59-63.

The IC 59-63 complex is Sh2-185. This includes Gamma and hints of
nebulosity on the opposite side of Gamma. Oddly the Sharpless catalog
at Galaxy Map says IC 61 is part of Sh2-185. Since that object is a
galaxy far to the south they obviously meant something else. I just
don't know what.
http://galaxymap.org/cgi-bin/details....5&name=S18 5

The Sharpless catalog puts the distance to it at 210 parsecs (680
light-years). Wikipedia puts the distance to Gamma at 190 parsecs (620
light-years). I will split the difference and say a round 650
light-years for its distance. Gamma itself is an irregular long period
variable varying over many years from 2.15 to 3.4. Is this seen in the
nebula? If so what's the time lag? Wish I knew. Nearly every time I
do a bit of research on objects I find more questions than answers.

14" LX200R 2@ f/10, L=4x10'+Ha=1x30' R=2x10'x3+Ha=1x30' GB=2x10'3,
STL-11000XM, Paramount ME
Ha added to L and R channels using lighten mode with it limited to the
shock front areas.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC59-63L4X10HA1X30R+HAGB3X10X3R.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	3886  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC59-63L4X10HA1X30R+HAGB3X10X3R-67.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	3887
Old January 3rd 12, 07:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great picture Rick.
Colour saturation is a bit strong for european taste, but for such a faint
object it is quite a feat that you could turn colours up that much without
introducing noise.

Stefan

.com...

Old January 5th 12, 07:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

This is what I like about Lab Color. It separates the color channels
from the Luminance channel. Something you can't do with RGB data as RGB
assumes a luminance level for each color channel. In Lab color the two
color channels are virtually white when displayed on the screen. Only a
hint of the image is seen. This separation allows the color to be
pushed much further without introducing noise that you'd get in an RGB
image by turning up the saturation. This is done by curves or contrast.
Same as you'd use on luminance.

Since the eye sees only weak color even if it is bright enough to
trigger our color cones, almost any color image has exaggerated color.
With the very low noise of Lab color (named for the three channels; L, a
and b -- I don't know why luminance is a capital letter and the color
lower case). It's tempting to push it too far.

Rick