Largest structure ever seen in universe discovered, violates lawsof the Cosmological Principle!

Old January 24th 13, 11:23 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Default Largest structure ever seen in universe discovered, violates lawsof the Cosmological Principle!

Dear Steve Willner:

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:42:57 PM UTC-7, Steve Willner wrote:

In article ,
Yousuf Khan writes:

It would put into question the validity of
CMBR analysis.

I'm afraid I don't follow that at all. The
fluctuations in the CMBR have been measured.

With relatively coarse "pixel size".

Those measurements won't change.

Of course they will.

In particular, nobody is going to discover
that the CMBR fluctuations are twice as
large as current measurements say. (None
of this implies new, more accurate
measurements are of no value.)

Yes, actually it does. Averaging over a "pixel" can easily hide a factor of two variation.

If the claimed structure is real,

A really big *IF*...

it might change our picture of evolution
_since_ the CMBR. That would be interesting,
but personally I'm waiting for better data.

Both on the CMBR, and this particular observation-set.

David A. Smith
Old January 26th 13, 01:08 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 24/01/2013 3:42 PM, Steve Willner wrote:
In article ,
Yousuf Khan writes:
It would put into question the validity of CMBR analysis.

I'm afraid I don't follow that at all. The fluctuations in the CMBR
have been measured. Those measurements won't change. In particular,
nobody is going to discover that the CMBR fluctuations are twice as
large as current measurements say. (None of this implies new, more
accurate measurements are of no value.)

I'm not saying those findings will be changing, I'm saying that the
derived interpretations, such using the CMBR as a proof for Dark Matter
and Dark Energy throughout the Universe will be put into question.

If the claimed structure is real, it might change our picture of
evolution _since_ the CMBR. That would be interesting, but
personally I'm waiting for better data.

It's possible, but if the universe can evolve in different ways after
the CMBR was measured, then chances are likely that it could've evolved
divergently even between the period of the Big Bang and CMBR.

Yousuf Khan