Saturn

Old March 22nd 07, 05:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

Default Saturn

I was messing around with trying to move my primary mirror in a little
because I have a 50 mm 2-inch meade lens that I've never been able to use
satisfactorily because I have to rack the focuser all the way in and it
still would not come onto full focus. it helped a little but I'm going to
have to mess around with it some more to get it moved in a little more.

So after I did that (I only managed to move it in about 1/4 inch) I
collimated the mirrors and decided to try my first image of saturn with the
Cannon 300d using a 17mm lens (EP projection). It came out better than I
expected, especially the colors, but it is just one shot, and the seeing
was horrid. Not bad for a first shot, though.

Saturn
Cannon 300d
2 sec
400 ASA
single shot

17mm EP projection
Konus 200

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRW_2225a.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	547
Old March 23rd 07, 06:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

"George" wrote in news:zmoMh.14249$B7.11182@bigfe9:

I was messing around with trying to move my primary mirror in a little
because I have a 50 mm 2-inch meade lens that I've never been able to use
satisfactorily because I have to rack the focuser all the way in and it
still would not come onto full focus. it helped a little but I'm going to
have to mess around with it some more to get it moved in a little more.

So after I did that (I only managed to move it in about 1/4 inch) I
collimated the mirrors and decided to try my first image of saturn with the
Cannon 300d using a 17mm lens (EP projection). It came out better than I
expected, especially the colors, but it is just one shot, and the seeing
was horrid. Not bad for a first shot, though.

Not bad at all. If you can get a series of images to stack...

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old March 23rd 07, 09:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Skywise" wrote in message
[...]

That may be my next effort, if the weather ever cooperates again. Doesn't
look too good for the next week or so. That was the first time in at least
a month that I've had the scope set up. One of these days I'm going to get
a barlow, I swear!

George

Old March 24th 07, 04:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

"George" wrote in news:URMMh.10511$nV1.3032
@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

"Skywise" wrote in message

Snipola

Not bad at all. If you can get a series of images to stack...

Brian

That may be my next effort, if the weather ever cooperates again. Doesn't
look too good for the next week or so. That was the first time in at least
a month that I've had the scope set up. One of these days I'm going to get
a barlow, I swear!

I have one, a 2x, but it's one of the old long tubes. I've been
thinking of getting a new one since they are much shorter. That
way my camera isn't sticking a foot out from the side of my Newt.

Old March 24th 07, 07:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Skywise" wrote in message
"George" wrote in news:URMMh.10511$nV1.3032
@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

"Skywise" wrote in message

Snipola

Not bad at all. If you can get a series of images to stack...

Brian

That may be my next effort, if the weather ever cooperates again.
Doesn't
look too good for the next week or so. That was the first time in at
least
a month that I've had the scope set up. One of these days I'm going to
get
a barlow, I swear!

I have one, a 2x, but it's one of the old long tubes. I've been
thinking of getting a new one since they are much shorter. That
way my camera isn't sticking a foot out from the side of my Newt.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

I can appreciate that. When I ever do invest, I'd like to buy both a 1.25"
and a 2". I've been looking at these:

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=30-114-117-6350

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=30-114-115-187

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=30-114-119-6961

But before I get one or more of those, I want one of these:

http://telescopes.com/products/meade...less-6349.html

Anyone with other recommendations?

George

Old March 25th 07, 06:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Skywise

"George" wrote in news:Kj4Nh.30611$sC.17820
@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

Snipola
http://telescopes.com/products/meade...nated-reticle-

eyepiece-1-25-inch-wireless-6349.html

I could probably use that illuminated eyepiece since I don't
have motors on my scope. Yep, I manually track. My solution
is a new scope, but I have to resist for a while longer on
that.

Old April 1st 07, 10:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George[_1_]

"Skywise" wrote in message
"George" wrote in news:Kj4Nh.30611$sC.17820
@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

Snipola
http://telescopes.com/products/meade...nated-reticle-

eyepiece-1-25-inch-wireless-6349.html

I could probably use that illuminated eyepiece since I don't
have motors on my scope. Yep, I manually track. My solution
is a new scope, but I have to resist for a while longer on
that.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

I can appreciate that. I have a drive, but it's a cheap one, and doesn't
track very accurately over extended exposures. I'm sure I can do better if
I had a illuminated reticle and a real guidescope.

George

Saturn Ib, Saturn V Payload Planner's Guide scottlowtherATixDOTnetcomDOTcom History 13 April 3rd 07 01:57 AM
Classic Bonestell Saturn picture with new NASA/JPL Saturn image astrobob Astronomy Misc 0 January 15th 06 05:07 AM
Saturn Paul Murphy Amateur Astronomy 9 December 30th 05 05:22 PM
Saturn? Dave B UK Astronomy 2 December 19th 05 08:03 PM
saturn Michael Clark Misc 2 February 23rd 05 02:40 AM