Worthy of survival

Old October 11th 06, 11:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
Bob Kolker

Default Worthy of survival??

George Peatty wrote:

Produce one quote with source reliably attributing that profession to
Jefferson or any of the Founding Fathers. Patrick Henry explicitly
repudiates the claim that he was a Deist. The truth is that most of the
Founders were well-versed in Christian doctrine, Christian tradition, and
Christian values, which all maintained should be the basis for our
government and its institutions, absent only the establishment of either a
state or federal religion.

Jefferson believed in, at most, one god. Not three, like you Christians.

Bob Kolker

Old October 11th 06, 11:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
EvilBill

Bob Kolker wrote:
George Peatty wrote:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:05:14 -0500, Bob Kolker
wrote:
There is only matter, motion
and the Void.

Bullshirt. There is the eternal God, and the eternal soul, neither
of which can be classified as matter, motion or Void ..

You insist on believing in spooks, ghosts and souls. Never mind there
is no evidence to support that belief.

There's no evidence to support the existence of extra-terrestrial life,
either. Doesn't mean it's not there, just that it's currently beyond our
ability to determine either way.

* I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me
to expect the worst.

Yahoo: evilbill_agqx
Web: http://www.evilbill.org.uk

Old October 11th 06, 11:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
Bob Kolker

George Peatty wrote:

Only in a universe that is self-sustaining, a property you cannot
demonstrate this one has .. The notion that the universe continues to exist
from one moment to the next of its own accord is also a supposition that is
not a priori true.

True, I cannot prove the universe is self-sustaining but the supposition
that it is does not lead to a logical contradiction so it is -possible-
that the universe is self sustaining. Which means that it is not
necessarily true there is a creator.

Bob Kolker

Old October 11th 06, 11:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
George Peatty[_1_]

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:47:48 -0500, Bob Kolker wrote:

You insist on believing in spooks, ghosts and souls. Never mind there is
no evidence to support that belief.

There is plenty of evidence. Look in a mirror. What stares back at you is
the reflection of your soul ..
Old October 11th 06, 11:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
Bob Kolker

George Peatty wrote:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:05:59 -0500, Bob Kolker wrote:

Jefferson, like Isaac Newton was anti-Trinitarian.

Cite

http://www.iusb.edu/~journal/1999/Paper9.html

Bob Kolker

Old October 11th 06, 11:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly,alt.fan.tom-servo
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Eric Chomko" :

Bob Kolker wrote:
William December Starr wrote:
So they screwed up the testing of the Hubble mirror because they
were never "mugged by the IRS." Yeah, that's not a non sequitur at
all...

No. The folks who brought you Hubble were funded by stolen money. They
are less likely to be careful how they spend or use it. Every cent taken
in taxes that is not spent on national defense or maintaining a police
department is stolen money. The U.S. constitution does not authorize
congress to collect taxes to build space telescopes. Go read the
constitution and see for yourself.

The problem with your scenario of national defense is that the DOD
budget is already too big and much is hidden from all of us and being
used exactly in the way you are against.

It's worth noting that Hubble was nothing more than a converted KH12
satelite.

Do you think being able to predict the weather WRT hurricanes is good
use of taxpayer money? Well, NOAA exists in the Dept. Commerce and no
one doubts that early hurricane warning has value.

But the military uses NOAA forecasts.

The Constitution (and that is with a capital C) was written over 200
years ago before cars, planes and atomic bombs. It has no provision of
an atomic commission either. Want to abolish it too? How about the
transportation dept.? Hell, who needs one when all you have are horses
and wagons. Well add trains, cars and airplanes and the need comes into
focus.

So, I'd say that necessity makes one view the Constitution in a
different light given the history and 200 years of change.

Doesn't the Constitution say something about the welfare of the
people?

Eric

Bob Kolker

--
dillon

If you can't figure out how to unmunge my
address, email me and I'll explain it.

Old October 11th 06, 11:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
George Peatty[_1_]

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:49:57 -0500, Bob Kolker wrote:

Cite

http://www.iusb.edu/~journal/1999/Paper9.html

Excellent link. Thank you. I think its subject weighs far more in favor of
my claims about Jefferson than yours, and I will be glad to have it as a
further source of support in this ongoing, seemingly never ending, debate ..
Old October 12th 06, 01:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.tv,alt.tv.star-trek.tos,alt.battlestar-galactica,alt.tv.firefly
EvilBill

Bob Kolker wrote:
EvilBill wrote:

There's no evidence to support the existence of extra-terrestrial
life, either. Doesn't mean it's not there, just that it's currently
beyond our ability to determine either way.

Correct therefore one should not claim knowledge of such, either
positive or negative.

One can *believe* it to be so, though. I believe that there has to be life
out there somewhere, if only because there are so many stars out there that
are just like our own, and so many solar systems out there which seem to
have Jupiter-type planets in the right place to allow for rocky inner
planets like ours. (I also believe in Gods, but that's exactly what both
things are, beliefs. I don't claim to be the possessor of any kind of
absolute truth.)