ET foam separation

Old August 5th 05, 03:16 PM

Default ET foam separation

How I see it, foam from the external tank is tearing off because tank
vibrates (jerks) during its lift-off. These jerks produce shake-off
("bathing birds") effect. In addition, small packets of high-low
air pressure are created around a tank. As a result, we have tearing
off forces applied to the foam.

One of the possible solutions to this problem is to apply over foam a
high-temperature-resistant external coating. (Let us put a "condom"
on the external tank!) In addition, to smother a lift-off, a current
vehicle stabilization control system has to be replaced by a system
with significantly shortened reaction time.

Old August 5th 05, 04:36 PM
Brian Gaff

I seem to recall this was suggested before. I cannot recall the reason for
not doing it. I seem to recall I mentioned the gurgling effect on the
astronauts voices during solids, this has to be the 'give' and 'springiness'
in the stack. I also noted the comments about the gap fillers only being
there to stop the vibration of launch making the brittle tiles bump
together.

If there are specific areas where foam sheds, as it seems to me there are,
maybe something as simple as high tech duct tape around the tank at those
points is all that would be required.

Brian

Email:

ups.com...

Old August 5th 05, 05:00 PM
Lynndel K. Humphreys

A Bently ride under--- over 6000000 pounds--- thrust stress.

Old August 5th 05, 06:51 PM

So, what??

Old August 5th 05, 10:13 PM
Rick Nelson

If you have the G's sampled at millisecond intervals - you might even
use the voice tapes to get this data. And the internal tanks' pressures
of the ET as it is depleted and ascemds.. You could probably work out
where the harmonics are and stop them. Or you could just set some short
internal baffles at fractal angles and primes spacings.

Thanks,

Rick

wrote:
So, what??

Old August 6th 05, 11:11 AM

In today configuration, every shuttle launch is a Russian roulette
enterprise. We are lucky that for many years we were very lucky