FWD: Secret museum on the moon's surface?

Old March 1st 08, 06:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

Default FWD: Secret museum on the moon's surface?

....Anyone else ever heard of this one:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/29...um-on-the.html

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old March 1st 08, 01:08 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Feb 29, 10:27 pm, OM wrote:
...Anyone else ever heard of this one:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/29...um-on-the.html

OM

That's a good one that I'd actually buy, as all sorts of hidden places
for personal art could have been incorporated with only the author
involved so that official discovery of such prior to launch wasn't
likely.

Here's a somewhat better JAXA/Selene HDTV image file that doesn't seem
nearly as doctored as those before, except for the unusual lack of
dynamic range and poor color saturation (especially of the naked moon
surface as looking so unusually monochrome)
http://wms.selene.jaxa.jp/data/en/hd...tv_000_6_l.jpg

Cranking up those color saturations and of merely replacing the color
black with a 10% lighter version of dark gray is what allows us to see
the radiation belt or sphere of whatever's surrounding Earth, and for
some odd reason makes our physically dark moon look as though
greenish. Too bad we're still not being given any look-see at those
original HDTV color images as is. Apparently, of anything JAXA/Selene
is either taboo or having become nondisclosure rated, so that our NASA/
Apollo rusemasters can keep those lids on tight, because otherwise a
10 meter/pixel resolution image is entirely capable of depicting some
of our large as well as bright and shiny Apollo remainders.
.. - Brad Guth
Old March 1st 08, 08:07 PM posted to sci.space.history
Val Kraut

Default Secret museum on the moon's surface?

This surfaces from time to time. The whole original article is interesting -
they refer to the Launch Site as Cape Kennedy. There never was such a place.
There's the John F. Kennedy Space Center located on Cape Canaveral north of
the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (the southern portion of the facility),
the Grumman Engineering Company - actually the Grumman Aerospace
Corporation, and a hatch on the Landing Gear - The landing gear didn't have
a hatch. Supposedly the artists approached NASA about including the piece of
art - other artifacts were launched - and NASA didn't respond - Hey it's
1969 and you want to send a picture of a penis to the moon - you couldn't
even use that word on radio. Taping something to a leg bathed in sunlight
could have created a hot spot and effected the component. I would think the
term sabotage would apply if the person was caught. And every inch of the
spacecraft was photographed and inspected before launch for use in any
accident investigation after the launch.

Val Kraut

Old March 1st 08, 08:20 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:07:42 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Val
Kraut" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

This surfaces from time to time. The whole original article is interesting -
they refer to the Launch Site as Cape Kennedy. There never was such a place.

There was for a few years. It was renamed that after the Kennedy
assassination, but it went back to Canaveral later (I think in the
early seventies), due to protests from the locals.
Old March 1st 08, 08:28 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:07:42 -0500, "Val Kraut"
wrote:

This surfaces from time to time. The whole original article is interesting -
they refer to the Launch Site as Cape Kennedy. There never was such a place.

Yes there was. LBJ renamed Cape Canaveral in December, 1963. It
reverted to Cape Canaveral in 1973 at the request of the local
population, who wanted to retain the 400-year-old name (among the
oldest named geographic areas in the Americas). NASA's facility
retained LBJ's designation as John F. Kennedy Space Center. The Air
Force station has had many variations of the name Cape Canaveral.

But at the zenith of the area's fame... Gemini and Apollo, it was Cape
Kennedy.

Brian
Old March 1st 08, 10:13 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bash

On 1 Mar, 06:27, OM wrote:
...Anyone else ever heard of this one:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/29...um-on-the.html

Nope, I hadn't. Just had a thought though, there are are 6 LM descent
modules on the moon that could be considered half antiques by the time
we get back ;-P
Old March 1st 08, 10:21 PM posted to sci.space.history
robert casey

OM wrote:

...Anyone else ever heard of this one:

Right, first people were saying we never really went, now they're saying
that there was a secret trip... :-)
Old March 2nd 08, 02:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
Matt Wiser

OM wrote:

Great, what are the lunatics saying now? First that we didn't even go, now they say there's a
secret museum up there? They need to get their paranoia straight (if such a thing is possible)
and get on some decent medications. Isn't there a proposal to turn all the Apollo landing
sites into museums, though?
Old March 2nd 08, 05:48 AM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

"Val Kraut" wrote:
Taping something to a leg bathed in sunlight
could have created a hot spot and effected the component.

Not under the insulation it wouldn't.

And every inch of the spacecraft was photographed and inspected
before launch for use in any accident investigation after the launch.

And yet, this isn't the only account of something being smuggled to
the Moon.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old March 2nd 08, 07:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:
"Val Kraut" wrote:

Taping something to a leg bathed in sunlight
could have created a hot spot and effected the component.

Not under the insulation it wouldn't.

And not considering the legs used crushable honeycomb rather that
hydraulic or pneumatic means for shock absorption.
Theoretically, you could get the legs up to near the melting point of
aluminum with no great loss of their shock absorption capability.
In fact, hydraulic or pneumatic shock absorption would be the _last_
thing you'd want, as the legs would compress and rebound - possibly
hurling the LM onto its side as it bounced off of the lunar surface in
anything less than a perfect four-point touchdown.

Pat