searching lower FM band transmitters

Old July 4th 03, 01:11 PM
Mysak

Default searching lower FM band transmitters

Hi
I'm trying to find some radio transmitter in lower FM band (lower than 88
MHz), which is 1000 - 2000 km from Prague, Czech Republic (it corresponds to
Spain or Portugal, western France, Scandinavia, Greece, Russia, etc.). I
these ages when mostly higher FM band is used in Europe the best chance of
course is in Russia, Ukraine, or other countries of one-time-USSR region,
maybe even in Bulgaria, Romania, etc.
Reason why I'm searching is meteors' tracks are reflecting signals from
transmitters which U normally cannot receive, but U can receive these echos
(and U can count them). For this case I need some very strong transmitter
(at least 10 - 50 kW or better stronger).
If U have a tip for me, just contact me, or send me the positions of
transmitters (place or better its latitude and longitude), its frequency and
its power (in kW).
In case U R experienced in this kind of observations, please help. We are
new

Mysak

Old July 4th 03, 04:27 PM
Mark Hittinger

"Mysak" writes:
I'm trying to find some radio transmitter in lower FM band (lower than 88
MHz), which is 1000 - 2000 km from Prague,
Reason why I'm searching is meteors' tracks are reflecting signals from
transmitters which U normally cannot receive, but U can receive these echos
(and U can count them).

In the US the lower VHF tv channels often show "skip" or signal reflection
from the E layer (called sporadic E). The TV channel frequency ranges in
the US are ch2 54-60mhz, ch3 60-66mhz, ch4 66-72mhz, ch5 72-78mhz, and
ch6 78-84mhz.

Perhaps someone in your area of interest can point you at some TV stations
and channels that would be similar. Ham radio operators in the 6 meter
band also see this phenomenon.

Unfortunately there are other causes for sporadic E than meteor hits so you
would possibly see false data from just signal reflection alone. Sporadic
E gets more frequent at the peak of the 11 year solar cycle for example.

Later

Mark Hittinger