Newest Alabama company will develop nuclear engine for Mars spaceship

Old June 22nd 18, 09:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Newest Alabama company will develop nuclear engine for Mars spaceship

"The international nuclear technology company BWX Technologies, Inc. opened a
Huntsville office Thursday to begin developing products for the aerospace and
military including a nuclear propulsion system that could send rockets to Mars."

""We're talking about something very different here," Geveden said. "We're talking
about an active nuclear reactor to run hydrogen across the core and expand it out
through a nozzle.""

See:

https://www.al.com/business/index.ss...y_will_de.html

So, will this just be a rehash of NERVA?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NERVA
Old June 24th 18, 06:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

"The international nuclear technology company BWX Technologies, Inc. opened a
Huntsville office Thursday to begin developing products for the aerospace and
military including a nuclear propulsion system that could send rockets to Mars."

""We're talking about something very different here," Geveden said. "We're talking
about an active nuclear reactor to run hydrogen across the core and expand it out
through a nozzle.""

See:
https://www.al.com/business/index.ss...y_will_de.html

Millions to assure Mars won't get contaminated with germs
and not a dollar to protect Mars from nuclear pollution.

Old June 24th 18, 03:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article m,
says...

"The international nuclear technology company BWX Technologies, Inc. opened a
Huntsville office Thursday to begin developing products for the aerospace and
military including a nuclear propulsion system that could send rockets to Mars."

""We're talking about something very different here," Geveden said. "We're talking
about an active nuclear reactor to run hydrogen across the core and expand it out
through a nozzle.""

See:
https://www.al.com/business/index.ss...y_will_de.html

Millions to assure Mars won't get contaminated with germs
and not a dollar to protect Mars from nuclear pollution.

I guess we might as well stay home and never bother becoming a space-
fairing species then. Goodbye too all humans when the next big
extinction event happens.

Jeff
Old June 25th 18, 05:44 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Elliot[_4_]

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018, Jeff Findley wrote:

"The international nuclear technology company BWX Technologies,
Inc. opened a Huntsville office Thursday to begin developing
products for the aerospace and military including a nuclear
propulsion system that could send rockets to Mars."

""We're talking about something very different here," Geveden
said. "We're talking about an active nuclear reactor to run
hydrogen across the core and expand it out through a nozzle.""

See:
https://www.al.com/business/index.ss...y_will_de.html

Millions to assure Mars won't get contaminated with germs
and not a dollar to protect Mars from nuclear pollution.

I guess we might as well stay home and never bother becoming a space-
fairing species then. Goodbye too all humans when the next big
extinction event happens.

The next big extinction is already happening
faster than we'll ever get to Mars.
Old June 25th 18, 12:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article m,
says...

[...]

Bull****. We'll almost certainly be landing people on Mars in the next
10-20 years. The chance that humans will become extinct in that same
time period is quite small, but admittedly non-zero.

Jeff
Old June 25th 18, 12:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_3_]

On Jun/25/2018 at 7:27 AM, Jeff Findley wrote :
In article m,
says...

[...]

Yes but the next big extinction has been happening for the past several
decades. As you say we are almost certainly going to Mars soon. But that
doesn't mean the next big extinction didn't start way before we will go
to Mars.

Alain Fournier