New computer technology imminent.

Old April 24th 15, 11:08 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default New computer technology imminent.

In article ,
says...

Advent of the memristor.

I was interested to note that the advance in processor speeds seemed to be
slowing, diverging from what might be expected by Moore's law. However, a
new technology may ramp up speeds as well as storage density again via the
memristor:

Machine Dreams.
To rescue its struggling business, Hewlett-Packard is making a long-shot bid
to change the fundamentals of how computers work.
By Tom Simonite on April 21, 2015
http://www.technologyreview.com/feat...achine-dreams/

We've been attacking problems by throwing more cores and more RAM at
problems. So, even if individual cores aren't growing faster, machines,
and the programs that run on them, will keep growing faster. 16+ core
machines with 64GB+ RAM aren't uncommon to find on an engineer's desk.

Also, one new technology that has taken off are SSDs. Put several of
those in a RAID configuration (for speed) into a desktop and even
processes that are disk I/O bound are sped up considerably.

Some companies are also looking closely at "terminals attached to
mainframes" again, only now they call it "cloud computing". A meager
desktop with a high speed connection to a server can take advantage of
the server's speed and storage while allowing a company to better
control where their data is stored inside their network. The names have
changed, but the idea is much the same as it was in the 1980's when I
was running CAD/CAM/CAE software on a Tektronix graphics terminal
attached to a VAX mainframe.

Jeff
Old April 24th 15, 03:33 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,rec.arts.sf.science
jmfbahciv[_2_]

Jeff Findley wrote:
[...]

That will produce configurations which are CPU bound which will be
solved by throwing a "better" disk storage at it which will produce
configurations which are I/O bound which will be solved by throwing
a better CPU technology at it which will.....

The computing biz has been this was since forever.

Some companies are also looking closely at "terminals attached to
mainframes" again, only now they call it "cloud computing".

Isn't that stretching the definition? If not, it used to be called
timesharing.