"AI's Will Save Us All": Prof. Frank J. Tipler's Response to Edge.org's 2015 Annual Question

Old April 12th 15, 04:40 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics.electromag,sci.math,sci.philosophy.meta
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Default "AI's Will Save Us All": Prof. Frank J. Tipler's Response to Edge.org's 2015 Annual Question

In , on 04/11/2015
at 06:06 AM, Jan Panteltje said:

On a sunny day (Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:54:28 -0400) it happened Shmuel
(Seymour J.) Metz wrote in
:

In , on 04/10/2015
at 12:52 PM, Jan Panteltje said:

Just remember that mathematics or math is just a small subset,
executed in a few neurons, of the human neural net.

Nonsense.

It is the truth as is.

No, the truth is that the brain has a large number of neurons, and
that nobody has yet found a small subset capable of handling
Mathematics.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT http://patriot.net/~shmuel

reply to

Old April 12th 15, 04:50 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics.electromag,sci.math,sci.philosophy.meta
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

In , on 04/11/2015
at 07:46 AM, Jan Panteltje said:

Problem is with theoretical physicists that they claim truth of their
brain childs by (because of) mathematical proof.

Nonsense. Feel free to quote (*not* paraphrase) a theoretical
physicist doing that.

I use math every day.

On the order of paint by numbers.

Ask a mathemagician to do it he will make equations

Here you're assuming that he has done nothing ahead of time.

Now use a neural net

And here you're assuming that you have a neural net lying around
already trained for the job. To be a fair comparison, you'd have to
design, build and train the neural net while the ball is still in the
air.

'normalisation' in QM etc, and always always wrong.

You've got to be joking. While renormalization has nothing to do with
Mathematics, and is on shaky grounds from a mathematical perspectives,
its prediction have been experimentally verigied to a high degree of
precision.

Old April 12th 15, 06:13 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics.electromag,sci.math,sci.philosophy.meta
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:40:24 -0400) it happened Shmuel (Seymour
J.) Metz wrote in
:

In , on 04/11/2015
at 06:06 AM, Jan Panteltje said:

On a sunny day (Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:54:28 -0400) it happened Shmuel
(Seymour J.) Metz wrote in
:

In , on 04/10/2015
at 12:52 PM, Jan Panteltje said:

Just remember that mathematics or math is just a small subset,
executed in a few neurons, of the human neural net.

Nonsense.

It is the truth as is.

No, the truth is that the brain has a large number of neurons, and
that nobody has yet found a small subset capable of handling
Mathematics.

CT scans have shown what areas are involved.

Old April 12th 15, 06:18 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics.electromag,sci.math,sci.philosophy.meta
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:50:12 -0400) it happened Shmuel (Seymour
J.) Metz wrote in
:

In , on 04/11/2015
at 07:46 AM, Jan Panteltje said:

Problem is with theoretical physicists that they claim truth of their
brain childs by (because of) mathematical proof.

Nonsense. Feel free to quote (*not* paraphrase) a theoretical
physicist doing that.

Holographic universe, look it up.

I use math every day.

On the order of paint by numbers.

Ask a mathemagician to do it he will make equations

Here you're assuming that he has done nothing ahead of time.

Now use a neural net

And here you're assuming that you have a neural net lying around
already trained for the job. To be a fair comparison, you'd have to
design, build and train the neural net while the ball is still in the
air.

Of course it needs training, but not over and over again,
but learns or can learn more improving, not fixed like an equation.

'normalisation' in QM etc, and always always wrong.

You've got to be joking. While renormalization has nothing to do with
Mathematics, and is on shaky grounds from a mathematical perspectives,
its prediction have been experimentally verigied to a high degree of
precision.

That is exactly the problem, and, these days, anything that does NOT agree with Albert and his dreams
is simply ignored.
No gravity waves detected yet now we are several orders of magnitude below what Albert predicted.
They don't give up, oh no, he MUST be right,
else your peers will kill your career.

Old April 13th 15, 01:56 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics.electromag,sci.math,sci.philosophy.meta
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

In , on 04/12/2015
at 05:13 PM, Jan Panteltje said:

On a sunny day (Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:40:24 -0400) it happened Shmuel
(Seymour J.) Metz wrote in
:

In , on 04/11/2015
at 06:06 AM, Jan Panteltje said:

On a sunny day (Fri, 10 Apr 2015 10:54:28 -0400) it happened Shmuel
(Seymour J.) Metz wrote in
:

In , on 04/10/2015
at 12:52 PM, Jan Panteltje said:

Just remember that mathematics or math is just a small subset,
executed in a few neurons, of the human neural net.

Nonsense.

It is the truth as is.

No, the truth is that the brain has a large number of neurons, and
that nobody has yet found a small subset capable of handling
Mathematics.

CT scans have shown what areas are involved.

And how many neurons are in those areas? Or perhaps I should ask what
"small" means to you.

Old April 13th 15, 01:59 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics.electromag,sci.math,sci.philosophy.meta
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

In , on 04/12/2015
at 05:18 PM, Jan Panteltje said:

On a sunny day (Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:50:12 -0400) it happened Shmuel
(Seymour J.) Metz wrote in
:

In , on 04/11/2015
at 07:46 AM, Jan Panteltje said:

Problem is with theoretical physicists that they claim truth of their
brain childs by (because of) mathematical proof.

Nonsense. Feel free to quote (*not* paraphrase) a theoretical
physicist doing that.

Holographic universe,

How is that relevant to your claim?

Of course it needs training, but not over and over again,

A Mathematician does not repeat his work over and over again. More to
the point, it is an unfair comparison because you asked him to start
when the ball is still in the air.