A bit puzzled about a statement by NASA

Old February 21st 15, 09:31 AM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

Default A bit puzzled about a statement by NASA

NASA says:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall...14/14-169.html

quote:
"We checked to see what happened after Chandra witnessed the biggest outburst ever detected from Sagittarius A*,
the Milky Way's supermassive black hole, said co-author Andrea Peterson, also of the University of Wisconsin.
And less than three hours later, there was a neutrino detection at IceCube."
"

And then I thought: "Hey Sagittarius A is further away than that", but OK looked up wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarius_A*
Distance 25,900 ± 1,400 ly
(7,940 ± 420[4] pc)

So what are they saying, neutrinos move at many times light speed?

Or did the neutrinos emerge in a process that already started 25,000 years ago, and was the same as that later caused the outburst?
Seems BAD correlation to me?

Old February 21st 15, 09:45 AM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 21 Feb 2015 09:31:38 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
wrote in :

[...]

Never mind, its the difference between light speed and the bit slower neutrino...
Was not awake yet (lame excuus) :-)
Old February 21st 15, 10:42 AM posted to sci.astro
Jeff Kingsley

The X-Rays travel at the speed of light, so took 25,900 years to get here.
The neutrinos a bit longer because they don't travel at the speed of
light, assuming the X-Rays and neutrinos started their journey at the same
time.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 01:31:38 -0800, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

[...]

---

Old February 23rd 15, 07:25 AM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

wrote in :
So what are they saying, neutrinos move at many times light speed?

Or did the neutrinos emerge in a process that already started 25,000 years ago, and was the same as that later caused the
outburst?
Seems BAD correlation to me?

Never mind, its the difference between light speed and the bit slower neutrino...
Was not awake yet (lame excuus) :-)

Yeah, I was scratching my head to figure out what you saw as wrong in
that statement. But interestingly, in a supernova explosion the
neutrinos actually beat the light from the explosion out by several
minutes or even hours. But that's of course a different mechanism, since
those neutrinos come out of the interior of a star, not from the
exterior or a black hole.

Yousuf Khan

Old February 23rd 15, 01:27 PM posted to sci.astro
Martin Brown

On 21/02/2015 09:31, Jan Panteltje wrote:

NASA says:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall...14/14-169.html

quote:
"We checked to see what happened after Chandra witnessed the biggest outburst ever detected from Sagittarius A*,
the Milky Way's supermassive black hole, said co-author Andrea Peterson, also of the University of Wisconsin.
And less than three hours later, there was a neutrino detection at IceCube."
"

Given how rare neutrino detections are it may well be significant. If it
happens again next time Sag A gets greedy then it will strengthen their
case for it being a neutrino source.

And then I thought: "Hey Sagittarius A is further away than that", but OK looked up wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarius_A*
Distance 25,900 ± 1,400 ly
(7,940 ± 420[4] pc)

So what are they saying, neutrinos move at many times light speed?

What on Earth makes you think that ????

Or did the neutrinos emerge in a process that already started 25,000 years ago, and was the same as that later caused the outburst?
Seems BAD correlation to me?

They are saying that the neutrinos could possibly have come from the
same energetic event that happened ~26k years ago and that on the face
of it the neutrinos travelled at a speed that takes them 3h longer than
the Xrays to arrive at the Earth. IOW the neutrinos travel at a speed
that is about 7ppb slower than the speed of the Xrays.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown