Patrick Moore keeps his promise

Old January 4th 13, 03:24 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
James Harris[_2_]

Default Patrick Moore keeps his promise

Patrick Moore signed off the December 2012 The Sky at Night promising
to give some tips in the next show on how to set up a telescope. With
his unfortunate death on December 9th one could be forgiven for
thinking he would not now be able to give that advice. However ...

According to the Radio Times XMLTV schedule Patrick recorded the
advice shortly before his death and it is to be included in the
programme to be broadcast on 7 January at 00:05.

Other scheduled showings of the same programme:
10 January at 19:25
12 January at 09:35.

As for who will and who should take over from Patrick:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.sc...ad37dce331bfb1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...perts-say.html

James
Old January 4th 13, 04:33 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Edward Cowling

According to the Radio Times XMLTV schedule Patrick recorded the
advice shortly before his death and it is to be included in the
programme to be broadcast on 7 January at 00:05.

Brilliant news. I'll set my recorder for it.

--
Edward Cowling North London UK
http://twitter.com/gnilwoce

Old January 5th 13, 11:18 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
CD

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 06:24:51 -0800 (PST), James Harris wrote:

According to the Radio Times XMLTV schedule Patrick recorded the
advice shortly before his death and it is to be included in the
programme to be broadcast on 7 January at 00:05.

Good news, but I predict PM will just do a brief intro & Paul & Pete will
be doing the telescope stuff.

I predict less than 1 minute screen time.

Old January 5th 13, 11:07 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
Dave Liquorice[_2_]

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 10:18:40 +0000, CD wrote:

According to the Radio Times XMLTV schedule Patrick recorded the
advice shortly before his death and it is to be included in the
programme to be broadcast on 7 January at 00:05.

Thanks for the heads up must set the PVR...

Good news, but I predict PM will just do a brief intro & Paul & Pete
will be doing the telescope stuff.

Nothing new there.

I see StarGazing Live is back on Tuesday BBC2 2000. Wouldn't have known
about that if I hadn't been working with the truck that will be doing SGL
today at Macclesfield. I hope they aren't thinking of Dara O Brian for
Sky At Night, his "Science Club" is far too dumbed down. I could probably
tolerate Brian Cox.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old January 7th 13, 12:22 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Hils wrote:

Patrick Moore was so effective because he *wasn't* a "professional".
When he interviewed the "experts", he was learning with viewers

No, he was pretending to learn. The presentation of that pretence
might have been more effective because he was an amateur, though I
don't think most casual viewers would actually have known that he was.

-- Richard
Old January 7th 13, 04:32 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Alastair McDonald

"James Harris" wrote in message
Patrick Moore signed off the December 2012 The Sky at Night promising
to give some tips in the next show on how to set up a telescope. With
his unfortunate death on December 9th one could be forgiven for
thinking he would not now be able to give that advice. However ...

According to the Radio Times XMLTV schedule Patrick recorded the
advice shortly before his death and it is to be included in the
programme to be broadcast on 7 January at 00:05.

Other scheduled showings of the same programme:
10 January at 19:25
12 January at 09:35.

Despite your heads up I missed it :-(

But it is available on BBC IPlayer here :-)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...for_the_Stars/

Cheers, Alastair.

Old January 8th 13, 01:07 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Alastair McDonald

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 15:32:25 -0000, "Alastair McDonald"
wrote:

"James Harris" wrote in message
Patrick Moore signed off the December 2012 The Sky at Night promising
to give some tips in the next show on how to set up a telescope. With
his unfortunate death on December 9th one could be forgiven for
thinking he would not now be able to give that advice. However ...

According to the Radio Times XMLTV schedule Patrick recorded the
advice shortly before his death and it is to be included in the
programme to be broadcast on 7 January at 00:05.

Other scheduled showings of the same programme:
10 January at 19:25
12 January at 09:35.

Despite your heads up I missed it :-(

It is only 7th January. Are you a Time Lord?

No, it was broadcast yesterday :-)

Cheers, Alastair.

Old January 8th 13, 10:23 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
CD

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 15:32:25 -0000, Alastair McDonald wrote:

But it is available on BBC IPlayer here :-)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...for_the_Stars/

Cheers, Alastair.

Hate to say "I Told you so" but he was only on screen about 30 seconds. But
they did turn it into a good tribute show with some old clips. I also
noticed Chris Lintott did an interview from his house that was done after
his passing I suspect.

Don't forget the extended edition on Thursday, the telescope stuff was
great.
Old January 8th 13, 10:31 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Ar

On 08/01/13 09:23, CD wrote:
Hate to say "I Told you so" but he was only on screen about 30 seconds. But
they did turn it into a good tribute show with some old clips.

Mostly of Moore saying goodbye!
Old January 12th 13, 12:15 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.media.tv.misc
Max Demian

"CD" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 15:32:25 -0000, Alastair McDonald wrote:

But it is available on BBC IPlayer here :-)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...for_the_Stars/

Cheers, Alastair.

Hate to say "I Told you so" but he was only on screen about 30 seconds.
But
they did turn it into a good tribute show with some old clips. I also
noticed Chris Lintott did an interview from his house that was done after
his passing I suspect.

Don't forget the extended edition on Thursday, the telescope stuff was
great.

I reckon that 'goto' computer stuff is cheating. Entering the id of the
object on a keypad and the telescope whirs to the right direction.

Moore had 18 seconds at the start and 11 seconds at the end, when he said
the 'next programme' would be about the Sun and auroras.

I wonder what will happen to that?

--
Max Demian

Where's Patrick Moore? Rupert Goodwins UK Astronomy 52 July 22nd 04 07:33 AM
Sir Patrick Moore... Graham W UK Astronomy 7 June 6th 04 10:12 PM
Patrick Moore Dave UK Astronomy 2 September 20th 03 02:52 PM
Sir Patrick Moore john m bell UK Astronomy 8 September 4th 03 02:42 PM