Betting om MSL Curiosity landing outcome?

Old July 19th 12, 01:38 PM posted to sci.astro
Bjørn Sørheim

Default Betting om MSL Curiosity landing outcome?

Is there any betting companies around the globe that let you
bet on a successful or crash outcome of Curiosity Lander in a
couple of weeks time?
Seems there never has been such a stir around a landing as
this one, so this seems the right time to put real money on a
landing.

Personally I'm doubtful about this landing, but I certainly hope
I'm will be wrong and it will climb the layers of the crater
mountain eventually!

Bjørn Sørheim

Old July 19th 12, 03:19 PM posted to sci.astro
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:38:01 +0200) it happened "Bjørn Sørheim"
wrote in
:

Is there any betting companies around the globe that let you
bet on a successful or crash outcome of Curiosity Lander in a
couple of weeks time?
Seems there never has been such a stir around a landing as
this one, so this seems the right time to put real money on a
landing.

Personally I'm doubtful about this landing, but I certainly hope
I'm will be wrong and it will climb the layers of the crater
mountain eventually!

Bjørn Sørheim

Well, they *could* have learned a lesson from that time that the rockets
stopped firing because of a software glicth when teh landing gear came out..
The *could* have learned to send telemetry during decent, so if it crashes they
will know why (at least one of the bugs).

But.... NASA these days is very good at simulations, those look cool,
but Hollywood makes better ones complete with aliens and light sabres.

It is so much 50/50 probably not worth bothering
And even if it lands, it lands in the wrong place to look for life,
probably because it should not find any, for political reasons.

OTOH even a blind man can accidently shoot a bird...

Curiosity Brian Gaff Space Shuttle 6 May 3rd 12 01:40 PM
Highest Odds and Best Betting Service Moritz Amateur Astronomy 0 December 25th 07 11:57 PM
elegantly reckon her primary outcome Joaquim Selman Amateur Astronomy 0 November 7th 07 07:44 AM
pension proceeds Fahd Karim Al Mihmadi's outcome Rob Mollere Amateur Astronomy 0 August 23rd 07 02:01 AM
Donate £1 by betting 5p! Andrew Heenan UK Astronomy 2 January 9th 05 02:41 AM