STS-130 cupola question

Old February 7th 10, 11:45 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default STS-130 cupola question

Are they going to get the new cupola fully activated during the time the
Shuttle is at the ISS, so we can see views from inside of it as the
Shuttle departs the station, or is that scheduled for after departure?
Also, how exactly does it get from the cargo bay to its final position
on the ISS? Is this done via the robotic arm on the ISS, the one on the
Shuttle, or by EVA?

Pat

Old February 7th 10, 06:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 02:45:09 -0800, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Are they going to get the new cupola fully activated during the time the
Shuttle is at the ISS, so we can see views from inside of it as the
Shuttle departs the station,

Yes.

or is that scheduled for after departure?

No guarantees, but the plan is before.

Also, how exactly does it get from the cargo bay to its final position
on the ISS? Is this done via the robotic arm on the ISS, the one on the
Shuttle, or by EVA?

Cupola is launched on one end of Node 3.
Node 3 will be handed-off from Shuttle RMS to Station RMS and then
berthed.
Cupola will then be moved from its launch position to its final
position by Station RMS.
EVA will connect Node 3 to ISS coolant system, etc.

Brian
Old February 7th 10, 11:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Allen Thomson

OK, now that your real question has been answered, I have another:

How do the ISSonauts keep the inside surfaces of big windows optically
clean?

Absolute ethyl alcohol (which we used to use for optical surfaces at
LPL and helped with Solstice Celebrations) and cotton cloths? Probably
not, given alcohol's unfortunate propensity to combine energetically
with oxygen.

Windex and paper towels?

Saliva and shirtsleeves?

Or what?
Old February 8th 10, 05:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Allen Thomson wrote:

OK, now that your real question has been answered, I have another:

How do the ISSonauts keep the inside surfaces of big windows optically
clean?

Absolute ethyl alcohol (which we used to use for optical surfaces at
LPL and helped with Solstice Celebrations) and cotton cloths? Probably
not, given alcohol's unfortunate propensity to combine energetically
with oxygen.

Windex and paper towels?

Saliva and shirtsleeves?

Or what?

Good question. I know it's not alcohol. There was a presentation a few
years ago on "ISS alcohol ban" and I read it thinking it was the
drinking kind, but it was the cleaning kind. But for the life of me, I
don't know what the "approved" glass cleaners on ISS are.
Old February 8th 10, 07:00 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

wrote:

Are they going to get the new cupola fully activated during the time the
Shuttle is at the ISS, so we can see views from inside of it as the
Shuttle departs the station,

Yes.

The views from that cupola are really going to be something.

Pat
Old February 8th 10, 07:30 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Allen Thomson wrote:

OK, now that your real question has been answered, I have another:

How do the ISSonauts keep the inside surfaces of big windows optically
clean?

Absolute ethyl alcohol (which we used to use for optical surfaces at
LPL and helped with Solstice Celebrations) and cotton cloths? Probably
not, given alcohol's unfortunate propensity to combine energetically
with oxygen.

Windex and paper towels?

Saliva and shirtsleeves?

Or what?

Compressed air? I get the feeling that the astronauts are going to be
discouraged from touching the window panes.

Pat
Old February 8th 10, 07:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
David Spain

"Jorge R. Frank" writes:

Good question. I know it's not alcohol. There was a presentation a few years
ago on "ISS alcohol ban" and I read it thinking it was the drinking kind, but
it was the cleaning kind. But for the life of me, I don't know what the
"approved" glass cleaners on ISS are.

I found this: QC5020...

http://www.andersonsanitary.com/msds.html

Which links to this under link called: QC5020 Class Cleaner for Space Station

http://www.andersonsanitary.com/MSDS...ss_Cleaner.pdf

also an easier-to-read version about this on QC5020:

http://www.midlab.com/midlab/images/...912-502000.pdf

Appearance: Blue liquid with a faint alcohol odor and subtle floral scent.

?
Old February 8th 10, 08:14 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
David Spain

QC5020 contains a small amount of isopropyl alcohol
but is mostly water.

?

Old February 8th 10, 08:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
Good question. I know it's not alcohol. There was a presentation a few
years ago on "ISS alcohol ban" and I read it thinking it was the
drinking kind, but it was the cleaning kind. But for the life of me, I
don't know what the "approved" glass cleaners on ISS are.

Ammonia might not be okay from a atmospheric point of view either.

Pat

Cupola Module David Space Shuttle 2 October 27th 04 03:19 PM
Cupola update Jim Kingdon Space Station 17 October 15th 04 04:30 PM
Completion of the cupola observation module Jens Roser Space Station 7 September 5th 04 12:21 AM
Completion of the cupola observation module Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 August 30th 04 09:07 PM