Looking for a good reflector

Old December 5th 09, 02:50 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Will Wilkinson

Default Looking for a good reflector

I've been offered the chance to get a decent 'scope as a Christmas
present from my wife - been using my birdwatching one for astro use for
the last few years (Kowa TSN-821, 82mm objective). The little
refractor's actually pretty good for planetary and lunar observing but
rather lacking in light gathering power for deep sky objects.

I've been given a budget of £1500 of which I plan to spend most on a
decent mount to allow for future optic upgrades (would really like to
end up with an Orion Optics OMC300 deluxe when finances allow).

The most likely 'scopes are currently looking to be the Sky-Watcher
Skymax Pro 150 or 180 with the mount an EQ6 Pro Synscan (the 180's a
little over budget but I'm sure she'll not mind too much as we'll both
be using it) or the Meade LXD75 8" Schmidt Cassegrain (I'd rather have
this on the EQ6 than Meade's own mount but have yet to find anyone
selling just the OTA).

Does anyone have any comments on these 'scopes or any other suggestions?
I'll be using it for a mix of deep sky and planetary observing and would
like to do a fair amount of astro-photography once I'm used to the setup
(hence the EQ6 rather than an HEQ5 with the Sky-Watcher). Ideally I'm
looking for either Schmidt or Matsukov Cassegrain as the tube assembly's
more convenient and will therefore be used more.

Whatever is finally chosen must be transportable (the EQ6 is the
heaviest mount I'd consider) but tube size is not too important as I've
got a long wheelbase landrover to carry it in.

I'd consider second hand, but there doesn't seem to be much around at
the moment other than fork mount Meade and Celestron which is a little
limiting when it comes to upgrading.

Apologies in advance for a wet and cloudy January :-)

Regards

Will
--
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger
can.
Old December 5th 09, 08:58 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Rodney Pont

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 02:50:38 +0000, Will Wilkinson wrote:

Does anyone have any comments on these 'scopes or any other suggestions?
I'll be using it for a mix of deep sky and planetary observing and would
like to do a fair amount of astro-photography once I'm used to the setup
(hence the EQ6 rather than an HEQ5 with the Sky-Watcher). Ideally I'm
looking for either Schmidt or Matsukov Cassegrain as the tube assembly's
more convenient and will therefore be used more.

I went for a Celestron from Opticstar because it seems to be at an excellent
price at the moment. I haven't compared the specs between the mount and the
EQ6 but it is a solid mount that will take a 25Kg tube.

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astrono...p=0_10_1_8_120

I had a cheap supermarket 70mm reflecter and you could just tell that a
bird was a pigeon at 200 yards but it wasn't very clear. With the Celestron
I could count the seeds in a grass seed head half a mile away when I was
aligning the finderscope. The optical tube on it's own is more than this
complete kit.

The camera supplied probably isn't good enough for deep sky objects but
will be fine a guider with a better camera. With the supplied software
you can't use the same camera for guiding and imaging but it looks as
though you can do that with Astroart. I got it in October and had 2 clear
nights but non since when I could get out so I haven't really got used
to it yet.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old December 5th 09, 12:31 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Will Wilkinson

In message
ohitsystems.ltd.uk,
Rodney Pont writes

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astrono...lestron.asp?p=
0_10_1_8_120

I had a cheap supermarket 70mm reflecter and you could just tell that a
bird was a pigeon at 200 yards but it wasn't very clear. With the Celestron
I could count the seeds in a grass seed head half a mile away when I was
aligning the finderscope. The optical tube on it's own is more than this
complete kit.

The camera supplied probably isn't good enough for deep sky objects but
will be fine a guider with a better camera. With the supplied software
you can't use the same camera for guiding and imaging but it looks as
though you can do that with Astroart. I got it in October and had 2 clear
nights but non since when I could get out so I haven't really got used
to it yet.

Very nice OTA and a fantastic price, but the mount's much lighter than
the EQ6 which would limit the photo use, particularly if I manage to
upgrade to a 300mm scope in the future - this is the same issue I have
with the Meade. Both the Meade and Celestron mounts are based on the
Vixen and, while fine for viewing, seem too light for serious
astro-photography (this seems to be borne out by the few reviews I've
found).

Thanks anyway - that's another 'scope added to the possible list, along
with the Tal 200k.

I've managed to find the Sky-Watcher Skymax 180 pro for £1539 with the
EQ6 Pro mount which puts it to the top of the list at the moment,
although the price on the Celestron makes me half tempted to get it
along with an EQ6 Pro and just sell the original mount on. However this
pushes the cost up to around £2k after selling the CG5 and I doubt the
budget will quite stretch to that.

Will
Old December 5th 09, 08:53 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Kev Lawrence

"Will Wilkinson" wrote in message

Will, there's a number of reviews of mounts etc on stargazerslounge

Kev

Old December 6th 09, 12:42 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Will Wilkinson

In message , Kev Lawrence
writes

"Will Wilkinson" wrote in message

Will, there's a number of reviews of mounts etc on stargazerslounge

Kev

Cheers, very helpful reviews - I'd not come across that site before.

I've decided on the offer Rodney posted having read a few reviews and
looked at some images from the 9.25 SCT and will upgrade the mount to
the EQ6 Pro later. The package is only slightly more than the Celestron
OTA normally sells for and I can just sell the CG-5GT when I upgrade.
From the reviews the 'scope's just what I'm looking for, fairly compact,
faster than the Sky-Watchers, and a good all-rounder.

Will
Old December 6th 09, 11:09 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Rodney Pont

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 00:42:31 +0000, Will Wilkinson wrote:

I've decided on the offer Rodney posted having read a few reviews and
looked at some images from the 9.25 SCT and will upgrade the mount to
the EQ6 Pro later. The package is only slightly more than the Celestron
OTA normally sells for and I can just sell the CG-5GT when I upgrade.
From the reviews the 'scope's just what I'm looking for, fairly compact,
faster than the Sky-Watchers, and a good all-rounder.

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with it. I did upgrade to
the autoguider with camera offer and did get it tracking Jupiter using
one of the moons for a while but it kept loosing it due to the
atmospherics. The moon would occasionally jump out of the tracking box
for a frame.

I just haven't see any decent weather since I worked out how to align
and use the beast, at least I think I've worked it out :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old December 7th 09, 08:14 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Bob Hill[_2_]

[...]

Take a look at www.stargazerslounge.com a UK based website with lots of
advice and lots of helpful people to give it.

Yos can also look at www.astrobuysell.com/uk for loads of kit for sale, but
ask at Stargazerslounge first.

Bob

Old December 8th 09, 06:52 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Will Wilkinson

In message
ohitsystems.ltd.uk,
Rodney Pont writes
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 00:42:31 +0000, Will Wilkinson wrote:

I've decided on the offer Rodney posted having read a few reviews and
looked at some images from the 9.25 SCT and will upgrade the mount to
the EQ6 Pro later. The package is only slightly more than the Celestron
OTA normally sells for and I can just sell the CG-5GT when I upgrade.
From the reviews the 'scope's just what I'm looking for, fairly compact,
faster than the Sky-Watchers, and a good all-rounder.

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with it. I did upgrade to
the autoguider with camera offer and did get it tracking Jupiter using
one of the moons for a while but it kept loosing it due to the
atmospherics. The moon would occasionally jump out of the tracking box
for a frame.

I just haven't see any decent weather since I worked out how to align
and use the beast, at least I think I've worked it out :-)

Order placed today, together with a few bits and bobs - 14 & 18mm
Ascension ED apochromatic eyepieces, 30mm Ascension UWA eyepiece,
Ascension x2 2" ED barlow, Ascension 2" SCT dielectric diagonal,
Celestron dew-shield and a polar scope for the mount. Will be picking up
a high capacity power pack locally (40 amp hour) later this week.
Delivery's scheduled for Friday & I'll try and persuade my wife that I
need to try everything out ASAP rather than waiting for Christmas day
:-) The weather forecast is pretty poor for the next 5 days here though
- either rain or mist, fog and cloud (sort of expected this though).

Will
Old December 8th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Rodney Pont

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 18:52:07 +0000, Will Wilkinson wrote:

Order placed today, together with a few bits and bobs - 14 & 18mm
Ascension ED apochromatic eyepieces, 30mm Ascension UWA eyepiece,
Ascension x2 2" ED barlow, Ascension 2" SCT dielectric diagonal,
Celestron dew-shield and a polar scope for the mount. Will be picking up
a high capacity power pack locally (40 amp hour) later this week.
Delivery's scheduled for Friday & I'll try and persuade my wife that I
need to try everything out ASAP rather than waiting for Christmas day
:-) The weather forecast is pretty poor for the next 5 days here though
- either rain or mist, fog and cloud (sort of expected this though).

How are you fitting the 2" diagonal? The tube only comes with a 1.25"
visual back and you will need a 2" one.

I bought the Ascention 1.25" x2 barlow and the 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
since I couldn't stretch to a selection at the moment and want to do
photography really anyway. I'd got a 17AH power pack with compressor
and three cigar lighter sockets anyway so use that. I also got the dew
shield but I didn't practice with that in the daylight and put it on
with the padding on the outside so it just fell off when I moved the
tube :-)

I thought about the polar finder but I'm disabled and getting down to
it would be a real struggle. It's neat the way the hole goes through
the mount though, you just have to swing the tube to open it up. It
takes me 2 to 3 hours to get the telescope out and set up so I need to
know well in advance that it's going to be clear so I have missed some
nights.

What I would recommend is setting it up inside and go through the
alignment procedure a couple of times, obviously without seeing stars
to centre, to get the hang of it before trying in the dark. I think you
will be impressed by the tripod though. It really is solid but I must
admit has a very little bit of wobble when fully extended, it goes up
to something like five feet.

I was also impressed by the goto and tracking. I did the three star
alignment and told it to goto something behind the trees. I then went
inside for an hour and a half and when I came back it had tracked the
object and it was very near the centre of the image.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old December 11th 09, 07:20 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Will Wilkinson

In message
ohitsystems.ltd.uk,
Rodney Pont writes
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 18:52:07 +0000, Will Wilkinson wrote:

Order placed today, together with a few bits and bobs - 14 & 18mm
Ascension ED apochromatic eyepieces, 30mm Ascension UWA eyepiece,
Ascension x2 2" ED barlow, Ascension 2" SCT dielectric diagonal,
Celestron dew-shield and a polar scope for the mount. Will be picking up
a high capacity power pack locally (40 amp hour) later this week.
Delivery's scheduled for Friday & I'll try and persuade my wife that I
need to try everything out ASAP rather than waiting for Christmas day
:-) The weather forecast is pretty poor for the next 5 days here though
- either rain or mist, fog and cloud (sort of expected this though).

It all arrived today courtesy of TNT - 2 LARGE rather heavy boxes and a
much smaller one with the bits and pieces in. Everything looks OK, but
it's very foggy here at the moment so first light might be a while :-(

How are you fitting the 2" diagonal? The tube only comes with a 1.25"
visual back and you will need a 2" one.

The Ascension SCT 2" dielectric diagonal's threaded to mount directly on
the SCT in place of the visual back. Went on nicely and the larger
diagonal looks more in place on the large OTA. It's not listed on
Opticstar's site, but appears to be a stock item as they were able to
ship it with the rest of the kit

I bought the Ascention 1.25" x2 barlow and the 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
since I couldn't stretch to a selection at the moment and want to do
photography really anyway. I'd got a 17AH power pack with compressor
and three cigar lighter sockets anyway so use that. I also got the dew
shield but I didn't practice with that in the daylight and put it on
with the padding on the outside so it just fell off when I moved the
tube :-)

I picked up a Ring 40AH power pack from Halfords for £99.99 - over twice
the capacity for slightly less money than the ones offered by the
optical dealers. It's fairly heavy though, but with the weight of the
rest of the kit I can't see me carrying it very far from the car on away
trips any way.

The only missing item's the dew shield as that's on back order, but I've
got mountains of bubble wrap so should be able to fabricate something to
get by with until it arrives.

I thought about the polar finder but I'm disabled and getting down to
it would be a real struggle. It's neat the way the hole goes through
the mount though, you just have to swing the tube to open it up. It
takes me 2 to 3 hours to get the telescope out and set up so I need to
know well in advance that it's going to be clear so I have missed some
nights.

What I would recommend is setting it up inside and go through the
alignment procedure a couple of times, obviously without seeing stars
to centre, to get the hang of it before trying in the dark. I think you
will be impressed by the tripod though. It really is solid but I must
admit has a very little bit of wobble when fully extended, it goes up
to something like five feet.

Got it all set up in the library at the moment. Nice and convenient as
there's a set of French windows that open onto the bit of patio that's
least affected by the local streetlights. The tripod's certainly an
impressive structure, seems superbly stable and easy to adjust as well.

I was also impressed by the goto and tracking. I did the three star
alignment and told it to goto something behind the trees. I then went
inside for an hour and a half and when I came back it had tracked the
object and it was very near the centre of the image.

I hope the skies clear soon so I can enjoy the luxury of powered
tracking and goto rather than struggling with a small scope on a
photographic tripod (although as it's a decent Manfrotto it is nice and
stable).

I treated myself to a Baader Neodymium filter to help with the local
light pollution today as I was passing David Hines in Leighton Buzzard,
managed to resist more eyepieces (he had a sale on some of the Celestron
ones).

I can certainly recommend Opticstar, they provided excellent pre-sales
advice without being at all pushy, even recommending going for the
Ascension EDs rather than the Celestron X-Cels as apparently they're
pretty much identical, made in the same factory and just badged
differently.

Will