Pics of planets in other star systems???

Old December 1st 09, 05:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
dh@.

Default Pics of planets in other star systems???

A friend recently told me that people now know of many planets in
other star systems, and that they have excelent photos of them
from the Hubble 2. One in particular is supposedly a lot like
Earth but the size of Jupiter. I have nothing but doubts so far,
and have not been able to find any. If there are some, can anyone
post links to them?
Old December 1st 09, 06:26 PM posted to alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
Androcles[_23_]

dh@. wrote in message ...
A friend recently told me that people now know of many planets in
other star systems, and that they have excelent photos of them
from the Hubble 2. One in particular is supposedly a lot like
Earth but the size of Jupiter. I have nothing but doubts so far,
and have not been able to find any. If there are some, can anyone
post links to them?

If there were pix available you'd see them in newspapers, on
TV, all over the internet. Your "friend" is a bull****ter.

Old December 1st 09, 07:56 PM posted to alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

dh@. wrote:
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 17:26:22 -0000, "Androcles"
wrote:

dh@. wrote in message ...
A friend recently told me that people now know of many planets in
other star systems, and that they have excelent photos of them
from the Hubble 2. One in particular is supposedly a lot like
Earth but the size of Jupiter. I have nothing but doubts so far,
and have not been able to find any. If there are some, can anyone
post links to them?

If there were pix available you'd see them in newspapers, on
TV, all over the internet.

I don't get any broadcast TV and don't read the papers, but
figured I would have heard about it somewhere if it were true.
The last time I looked into it was years ago and scientists were
trying to determine how many planets the closest stars *might*
have by studying the wobble of the star due to the gravitational
influence of possible planets. AFAIK it hasn't gone any farther
than that yet...or at least not much.

Your "friend" is a bull****ter.

He really seemed to believe it. I doubted him quite a lot,
and tried to find evidence of him being correct online with him
sitting there watching, but couldn't find anything that came
close. I asked him: "Did Owen tell you that?" He laughed and said
that sounds like something he'd say, but no he got it from
someplace he considered more reliable. Then he got iffy about
where he actually did get the idea but it's bull**** anyway, and
now I know. I'll let him know next time I see him.

Just a few weeks ago they showed a picture of a sun and a planet.
The planet was a barely visible single pixel.
We cannot yet call that an excellent picture.
When you don't insist on a picture, they have detected quite a lot
of planets.
The first detected indeed used star wobble, but that only gets very big
planets.
Lately they detect planets going in front of the star, causing a very
slight dip in the star brightness.
This method has an increased range of detection, but still the bigger
planets are the easier targets.
Old December 1st 09, 08:04 PM posted to alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
HVAC

dh@. wrote in message ...

Your "friend" is a bull****ter.

He really seemed to believe it. I doubted him quite a lot,
and tried to find evidence of him being correct online with him
sitting there watching, but couldn't find anything that came
close. I asked him: "Did Owen tell you that?" He laughed and said
that sounds like something he'd say, but no he got it from
someplace he considered more reliable. Then he got iffy about
where he actually did get the idea but it's bull**** anyway, and
now I know. I'll let him know next time I see him.

Next time you see him, beat the bag out of him and
tell him he's a cocksucking liar.

Old December 1st 09, 09:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
Anthony Buckland[_2_]

http://www.planetary.org/news/2008/1...t_Planets.html

Old December 1st 09, 11:05 PM posted to alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
Newshound

Just a few weeks ago they showed a picture of a sun and a planet.
The planet was a barely visible single pixel.
We cannot yet call that an excellent picture.
When you don't insist on a picture, they have detected quite a lot
of planets.
The first detected indeed used star wobble, but that only gets very big
planets.
Lately they detect planets going in front of the star, causing a very
slight dip in the star brightness.
This method has an increased range of detection, but still the bigger
planets are the easier targets.

And from statistical analysis (over years) of frequency shifts of a
millisecond pulsar.

Old December 2nd 09, 02:45 AM posted to alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
Nightcrawler

"HVAC" wrote in message ...

Next time you see him, beat the bag out of him and
tell him he's a cocksucking liar.

Has the holiday season got you down? If appears as if you are a bit more edgy
of late. Though, you are providing good filler in Saul's absence.

Old December 2nd 09, 04:36 AM posted to alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
Androcles[_23_]

"Anthony Buckland" wrote in message
news

"Androcles" wrote in message

dh@. wrote in message
A friend recently told me that people now know of many planets in
other star systems, and that they have excelent photos of them
from the Hubble 2. One in particular is supposedly a lot like
Earth but the size of Jupiter. I have nothing but doubts so far,
and have not been able to find any. If there are some, can anyone
post links to them?

If there were pix available you'd see them in newspapers, on
TV, all over the internet. Your "friend" is a bull****ter.

http://www.planetary.org/news/2008/1...t_Planets.html

Any cheapskate publication that refers to "scientists" is bull****ting,
anthonybucklandALLspam.

Old December 2nd 09, 05:05 AM posted to alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
Mark Earnest

dh@. wrote in message ...
A friend recently told me that people now know of many planets in
other star systems, and that they have excelent photos of them
from the Hubble 2. One in particular is supposedly a lot like
Earth but the size of Jupiter. I have nothing but doubts so far,
and have not been able to find any. If there are some, can anyone
post links to them?

We can see them in our hearts and minds and spirits.
And we know we will go there some day, for icing on the
cake.

Old December 2nd 09, 08:53 AM posted to alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy,sci.astro
Odysseus[_1_]

In article , dh@. wrote:

snip

I don't get any broadcast TV and don't read the papers, but
figured I would have heard about it somewhere if it were true.
The last time I looked into it was years ago and scientists were
trying to determine how many planets the closest stars *might*
have by studying the wobble of the star due to the gravitational
influence of possible planets. AFAIK it hasn't gone any farther
than that yet...or at least not much.

Actually there's been a bit of a bonanza in exoplanet discoveries over
the past few years, as various new instruments and methods have been
brought to bear. But no "pics" such as might capture the public
imagination yet, and large error-bars on the sizes, masses, and
temperatures that have been determined.

--
Odysseus