Planets occulting other Planets

Old November 27th 09, 09:34 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul Forsdick

Default Planets occulting other Planets

I am doing a project to see how many times a planet passes in front of
another one and believe there to be 122 occurances like this in the 6000
years between 3000bc and 3000 ad and was wondering if any have been
observed.
It would probably not been seen before the telescope was used ands most
occur in daylight however it looks like the Mercury in front of Saturn 9th
December 1808 at 20h approx and Venus in front of Jupiter 3rd Jan 1818 at
about 22h may have been seen.

does anybody know if these were seen and if my dates are correct
The next 3 seem to be Mercury Saturn on 15 September 2037 at about 22h ,
Venus Jupiter on 22 November 2065 in daylight at about 13h and Mercury Mars
11 August 2079 at about 02h

Paul

Old November 28th 09, 05:38 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Entwistle[_4_]

In message , Paul Forsdick
writes

does anybody know if these were seen and if my dates are correct
The next 3 seem to be Mercury Saturn on 15 September 2037 at about 22h ,
Venus Jupiter on 22 November 2065 in daylight at about 13h and Mercury Mars
11 August 2079 at about 02h

Hi Paul

It appears that John Bevis witnessed Venus occulting Mercury from the
Royal Greenwich Observatory on May 28, 1737, at about 21:40 UT.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1986S%26T....72..220S

http://www.go.ednet.ns.ca/~larry/planets/1737occl.htm
--
David Entwistle
Old November 28th 09, 07:47 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dr J R Stockton[_51_]

In uk.sci.astronomy message , Fri, 27 Nov
2009 21:34:15, Paul Forsdick posted:
I am doing a project to see how many times a planet passes in front of
another one and believe there to be 122 occurances like this in the 6000
years between 3000bc and 3000 ad and was wondering if any have been
observed.

I Googled for planetary occultations and the second entry was
http://www.go.ednet.ns.ca/~larry/planets/occltlst.htm.

It would probably not been seen before the telescope was used ands most
occur in daylight however it looks like the Mercury in front of Saturn 9th
December 1808 at 20h approx and Venus in front of Jupiter 3rd Jan 1818 at
about 22h may have been seen.

Both given there.

does anybody know if these were seen and if my dates are correct
The next 3 seem to be Mercury Saturn on 15 September 2037 at about 22h ,
Venus Jupiter on 22 November 2065 in daylight at about 13h and Mercury Mars
11 August 2079 at about 02h

No, yes, yes.

The first entry also gives dates :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occultation.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old November 28th 09, 09:05 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Collins[_3_]

On 28 Nov, 17:38, David Entwistle wrote:
In message , Paul Forsdick
writes

does anybody know if these were seen and if my dates are correct
The next 3 seem to be Mercury Saturn on 15 September 2037 at about 22h ,
Venus Jupiter on 22 November 2065 in daylight at about 13h and Mercury Mars
11 August 2079 at about 02h

Hi Paul

It appears that John Bevis witnessed Venus occulting Mercury from the
Royal Greenwich Observatory on May 28, 1737, at about 21:40 UT.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1986S%26T....72..220S

http://www.go.ednet.ns.ca/~larry/planets/1737occl.htm
--
David Entwistle

I just ran a simulation of this on Stellarium. I don't know how
accurate Stellarium is but it showed as a grazing occultation but at
only 1 degree elevation
Old November 28th 09, 10:10 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul Forsdick

"Mike Collins" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Thanks for your replies
I have run it through Cybersky4 and it does show the occultation starting at
21:44:11 and ending 21:53-20
both planets set at 22-04 so it would have looked hard to see.
I have been trying to find close ones with Jupiter and Saturn, the best I
have found was in the year -1792 1st May JD 1066651.1667 and 28th
December -0423 jd 1566919.1250 it looks like there will be a close
conjunction between these 2 0n 21st December 2020 ( it looks to be the
closest since 1623 July 16th
Paul

Old November 28th 09, 10:28 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
jochta

Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

It was incredibly low down (1.4º) and he had cloud interference which
meant he missed the actual moment of Mercury entering and leaving the
occultation. Details are on this site and his notes are at the bottom of
the page.

http://www.go.ednet.ns.ca/~larry/planets/1737occl.htm