This might be dumb, but what are Iridium Flares?

Old August 29th 03, 10:37 PM
Pickaxe

Default This might be dumb, but what are Iridium Flares?

"Charles D. Bohne" wrote in message
http://www.chapman.edu/oca/fa_iridium.html

Thanks, nice to have a clue what they are now. The animated gif helped out a
ton as well!

PA

Old August 30th 03, 12:01 AM
Peter Harding

In article ,
says...
"Charles D. Bohne" wrote in message
http://www.chapman.edu/oca/fa_iridium.html

Thanks, nice to have a clue what they are now. The animated gif helped out a
ton as well!

Now get out there and see a mag -8 one! It's quite a thing. It's worth
remembering that other things can "accidentally" flare too. I've seen
the ISS flare up to about -5 or so when the sun catches (guess) a
window.

--
ICQ 40628243 Tel 07092057581 Fax 07092308800
Old August 30th 03, 08:14 AM
Pickaxe

"Peter Harding" wrote in message
Now get out there and see a mag -8 one! It's quite a thing. It's worth
remembering that other things can "accidentally" flare too. I've seen
the ISS flare up to about -5 or so when the sun catches (guess) a
window.

It surprised me at how bright it got. heavens-above.com said it was -7
magnitude. Now if I could just drag my carcass up at 4am for the ISS.

PA

Old September 2nd 03, 10:25 AM
RM Mentock

Peter Harding wrote:

In article ,
says...
"Charles D. Bohne" wrote in message
http://www.chapman.edu/oca/fa_iridium.html

Thanks, nice to have a clue what they are now. The animated gif helped out a
ton as well!

Now get out there and see a mag -8 one! It's quite a thing.

What about the -9's?

--
RM Mentock

I make my protein drink with whiskey -- Arnold

Dumb SS1 questions Henry Spencer Technology 23 July 9th 04 07:08 PM
A Dumb MER question OM History 38 January 15th 04 05:12 AM
Dumb move O keefe Hallerb Space Shuttle 2 September 5th 03 04:35 AM
Microflares on Sun Could Play Major Role In Heating Corona Ron Baalke Science 0 July 21st 03 03:35 PM