info about satellites

Old December 13th 04, 12:37 AM
Latrodectus

Default info about satellites

Hi everybody,
maybe my questions are OT, but I hope someone can help me.
I started intersting about satellites a few time ago, so
there are many things I would like to know.
I use Orbitron (an excellent program, in my opinion) to know
when and where satellites are.
But I would like to know info about satellites. Does anyone
know where to find them?
For example, there are satellites as satcom5, which have a
ground track shaped like a eight (8), changing his latitude,
but keeping its longitude. Why??? A geostationary satellite
must stay "fixed" in the sky (I think...). And how can a
satellite have this track? (the same for skynet4 or gstar3).

Or there are satellites which oscillate around equator, but
"go" along the equator, from east to west, and in some days,
make a round trip around the Earth.

These are the questions. I tried to search in internet, but
there are too infos!!!
I don't want answer here (I know I am some OT) but I'd
appreciate some links!!

Thaks to all
--
No SPAZIO to answer
Il vantaggio di essere intelligente è che si può sempre fare
Old December 13th 04, 02:30 AM
William R. Thompson

Latrodectus wrote:

But I would like to know info about satellites. Does anyone
know where to find them?

You can start with http://www.astronautix.com/ which has
background information on almost every satellite that's
ever been launched.

For example, there are satellites as satcom5, which have a
ground track shaped like a eight (8), changing his latitude,
but keeping its longitude. Why??? A geostationary satellite
must stay "fixed" in the sky (I think...). And how can a
satellite have this track? (the same for skynet4 or gstar3).

That figure-8 ground track means that the satellite is in an
inclined orbit. To hold a fixed position over the equator,
a satellite has to be in an orbit which is 24 hours long,
circular, and not inclined to the equator.

--Bill Thompson
Old December 18th 04, 03:57 PM
Latrodectus

Nel messaggio ,
ha detto
Latrodectus wrote:

But I would like to know info about satellites. Does anyone
know where to find them?

You can start with
http://www.astronautix.com/ which has
background information on almost every satellite that's
ever been launched.

Thank you!
I am sure that all of you know jtrack, a java applet which
draws all satellite positions in 3D. Just to ask another
question, does anyone know whether a program like this
exists? Jtrack is very nice, but you have to stay connected
to internet to use it. I would like to use a "stand alone"
program.

Bye to all

--
Togli SPAZIO per rispondere
-- Per essere sé stessi, bisogna essere qualcuno
Old December 19th 04, 12:41 AM
Colin J Denman

Latrodectus wrote in
T:

I would like to use a "stand alone"
program.

try searching for "wxtrack" or "satscape" on google.

--
Colin J Denman
N 51º 54' 38" W 00º 29' 45" Elev: 125m
Old March 1st 05, 11:34 AM
Sebastian Stoff

try searching for "wxtrack" or "satscape" on google.

Don't forget about Orbitron (www.stoff.pl)

sebastian stoff, www.stoff.pl
Torun, Poland (18.6788E, 53.0279N)
Old March 2nd 05, 09:16 AM
AjK

which have a ground track shaped like a eight (8),
changing his latitude, but keeping its longitude. Why???

Or there are satellites which oscillate around equator

http://www.celestrak.com/columns/

See "Basics of the Geostationary Orbit". Also, many more articles
there worthy of a good read.

cheers
--AjK