Using NASA's Technical Reports Server?

Old November 9th 17, 04:13 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Using NASA's Technical Reports Server?

Quick query to the group. Of those of you who have used the NASA NTRS
system what is the best way to go about doing hierarchical searches?

It's difficult knowing a-priori how to enter search terms that present
topics in a well structured order or at least lets you get to documents
in a fashion amenable to going back-and-forth between deep dives into
some papers but being able to come back to the main search listing after
perusing an abstract.

Has anyone in the group have good experience with this? Recommendations?

Dave
Old November 10th 17, 12:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , says...

Quick query to the group. Of those of you who have used the NASA NTRS
system what is the best way to go about doing hierarchical searches?

It's difficult knowing a-priori how to enter search terms that present
topics in a well structured order or at least lets you get to documents
in a fashion amenable to going back-and-forth between deep dives into
some papers but being able to come back to the main search listing after
perusing an abstract.

Has anyone in the group have good experience with this? Recommendations?

Dave

Sounds like I've had about as much success as you with their search
engine. So, I've sometimes resorted to using Google search with the
"site:" keyword in order to better search the site. For example:

skylab reuse study site:ntrs.nasa.gov

In general, my "Google-fu" is good enough to find what I want that way.

Jeff
Old November 10th 17, 09:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 11/9/2017 6:24 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article , says...

Sounds like I've had about as much success as you with their search
engine. So, I've sometimes resorted to using Google search with the
"site:" keyword in order to better search the site. For example:

skylab reuse study site:ntrs.nasa.gov

In general, my "Google-fu" is good enough to find what I want that way.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I've not considered a combined approach like that. I'll
give it a try!

Was trying their own Search bar with limited success...

Dave

Old November 11th 17, 06:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

David Spain wrote:

On 11/9/2017 6:24 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article , says...

Sounds like I've had about as much success as you with their search
engine. So, I've sometimes resorted to using Google search with the
"site:" keyword in order to better search the site. For example:

skylab reuse study site:ntrs.nasa.gov

In general, my "Google-fu" is good enough to find what I want that way.

Thanks Jeff. I've not considered a combined approach like that. I'll
give it a try!

Was trying their own Search bar with limited success...

I've generally found NASA alone to be pretty useless. Everything they
want to show you tends to be dumbed down and predigested. The
information is in there, but it can be almost impossible to winnow it
out. Hey, NASA! More actual information and less self-marketing
would be nice.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old November 11th 17, 04:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , says...

On 11/9/2017 6:24 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article , says...

Sounds like I've had about as much success as you with their search
engine. So, I've sometimes resorted to using Google search with the
"site:" keyword in order to better search the site. For example:

skylab reuse study site:ntrs.nasa.gov

In general, my "Google-fu" is good enough to find what I want that way.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I've not considered a combined approach like that. I'll
give it a try!

Was trying their own Search bar with limited success...

I have found over the years that sites that offer their own search
capability rarely seem to use a high quality search engine. Google has
been at this for so long, I've gotten used to how to use theirs, so the
"site:" keyword helps immensely in these situations.

Back in the early days of the "World Wide Web", I preferred AltaVista's
search engine, but it's been gone for several years now.

Jeff

Old November 11th 17, 04:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Jeff Findley wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

Back in the very early days I used Gopher. Unlike AltaVista's search
engine, Gopher is actually still around in corners here and there.

--George Bernard Shaw