GN 03.27.6 in the Perseus Dark Cloud

Old April 16th 16, 08:47 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default GN 03.27.6 in the Perseus Dark Cloud

Deep in the Perseus Dark Cloud is the cometary reflection nebula GN 03.27.6. It is lit by emission line star LkHa 326. This is also a young stellar object candidate. The cloud is thought to be about 300 parsecs distant or about 1000 light-years. With the field deep in the cloud it has a dark and dreary appearance, about like the weather I've had trying to image it. Several other young stellar object candidates (Y*Oc) are in the field as are T Tauri stars (TT*). Both would be considered protostars still heated mostly by gravitational collapse rather than their yet to ignite nuclear furnace.

I wasn't able to find much on the field. Seemed many of the papers were behind pay walls. What I did learn about the field is shown in the annotated image.

I don't recall what drew me to put this field on the to-do list. Probably someones posted wide field of this area in which the cloud showed up as a small low resolution object that peaked my interest. Usually I note whose image that was but I failed to do so for this one.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSTC2DJ033044.0+303247L4X10RGB2X10R.JPG
Views:	549
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	6192  Click image for larger version

Name:	SSTC2DJ033044.0+303247L4X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	6195