Saturn 5 is returning:)

Old April 20th 12, 11:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia[_5_]

Default Saturn 5 is returning:)

Le 20/04/12 11:12, bob haller a écrit :
The elephant in the room, after the election ENTITLEMENTS MUST BE CUT,
or our country will go bankrupt....

thats medicare, social security plus everthing else.........

To be continued without restrictions:

WAR
WAR gear
Money for Banksters
Money for corrupt politicians

THAT doesn't bankrupt the country of course.
Old April 20th 12, 05:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Brian Thorn wrote:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 00:56:49 +0200, Jochem Huhmann
wrote:

Still, for SLS (which is meant to fly crazily rarely anyway) it would
mean three different engines. Compared to using the SRBs for the
boosters (which at least have the tooling and propellants and everything
ready) I can't see the economic case for them for ten years or so and
even then...

SLS is already three different engines. The SRBs are still complex
machines built on production lines and shipped cross-country. They are
far from cheap, especially the new FSB. SRBs are and always will be
inherantly less safe than liquid engines. And since SLS's SRBs aren't
even recoverable, NASA won't have the advantage of inspecting them
post-flight for problems like they did in the Shuttle program. So an
F-1 based booster, especially if the production costs can be leveraged
with EELV's successor which should be coming along around the same
time, does make some sense. F-1 production costs could well be shared
with J-2X and SSME infrastructure to a degree as well, actually making
this system cheaper than SRB in the long run. (And propellant is ready
for F-1, too... it uses RP-1 just like Atlas 5 and Falcon 9.)

To put it into other words: SLS is a disaster, no matter what engines
you use.

Maybe, but I don't think it is quite as doomed as you suggest.

Brian

After 25 years dealing with large solids, I can see little benefit to
re-use of solid rocket motors. Even though the insulation protects the
case, I would not like to stake my life on a re-used motor casing.

About he only items I can see re-using would be the nozzle control
system; the nozzle and throat are designed for self-sacrifice during the
burn and should not be re-used.

Liquid motors are a different story. Turbopumps should be either
overhauled or replaced; motors are designed to use fuel to keep the
nozzles and throats cool. The viability of the stages themselves depends
on their recovery system.
Old April 20th 12, 08:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

After 25 years dealing with large solids, I can see little benefit to
re-use of solid rocket motors. Even though the insulation protects the
case, I would not like to stake my life on a re-used motor casing.

Really the only advantage you get is you get to actually inspect the casing
and see what's really going on.

Of course it helps if you actually ACT on that data.

Old April 20th 12, 10:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

On Apr 20, 9:53*am, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ad69dfab-81c3-4847-abb8-
, says...

The elephant in the room, after the election ENTITLEMENTS MUST BE CUT,
or our country will go bankrupt....

thats medicare, social security plus everthing else.........

now how much support will the voters have for space spending while
cutting benefits is?????

bet a private industry comany would be happy to build a heavy lifter
if there was money to pay for it??

This has nothing to do with this newsgroup.

Besides, look at what austerity measures have done for countries who've
tried them. *Cutting budgets means throwing more people into
unemployment, where they are now being paid unemployment and other
government benefits for *not working*.

Sorry, but cutting spending during a recession is exactly the wrong
thing to do. *What this country needs to do is to cut spending and/or
raise taxes when the economy is booming, not going bust.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
* up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "

funding space activities is definetely on topic for this group.

no bucks no buck rogers