Ok, I'll Ask The Question A Different Way (was: "Top Gear" Polar

Old December 31st 09, 02:16 AM posted to uk.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
Marcus Houlden

Default Ok, I'll Ask The Question A Different Way

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 00:44:29 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote the following to uk.misc:

Richard Tobin wrote:

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:

"We are not *Going* to see Global Warming and Climate Change, We are
SEEING IT NOW. Take a trip to the real Geographic North Pole to see
these events for yourself."

See that ice? See how thin it is? Walk right over there and see
for yourself!

Unsure that CO2 is responsible for global warming? Let's all fly around
the world to find out if it's true!

For some reason I'm reminded of things like Comic Relief where people like
Dawn French and Robbie Coltrane tell us there's not enough food in the
world, or Jonathan King on *that* edition of Brass Eye.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
Old December 31st 09, 07:38 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
OG

"Marcus Houlden" wrote in message
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 00:44:29 +0000, Steve Firth
wrote the following to uk.misc:

Richard Tobin wrote:

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:

"We are not *Going* to see Global Warming and Climate Change, We are
SEEING IT NOW. Take a trip to the real Geographic North Pole to see
these events for yourself."

See that ice? See how thin it is? Walk right over there and see
for yourself!

Unsure that CO2 is responsible for global warming? Let's all fly around
the world to find out if it's true!

For some reason I'm reminded of things like Comic Relief where people like
Dawn French and Robbie Coltrane tell us there's not enough food in the
world, or Jonathan King on *that* edition of Brass Eye.

Don't remember seeing that one. Did you make it up perhaps? :-)

Old January 1st 10, 04:26 AM posted to uk.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
oriel36[_2_]

Default Ok, I'll Ask The Question A Different Way (was: "Top Gear" Polar

On Dec 30 2009, 12:24*pm, Fleetie wrote:
Forgetting the magnetic pole, then:

At the true North Pole, i.e. that about which the Earth is rotating at a
given time, would a GPS read exactly 90 deg. N?

How would the precession of the Earth affect this?

I could say that you are just not good enough to deal with the matter
but that would be an injustice as it gives you no leeway to find your
way through obfuscating arguments which tried to force planetary
orbital dynamics into right ascension.

http://books.google.com/books?id=4k9...e&q=&f=fals e

The good Rev Maskelyne here,the one who had a problem with Harrison
and his clocks,merrily conjures up whatever fiction he needs to get
the elaborate scheme to work and while I take a minor pleasure in
watching these guys mangle the raw cycles which link the astronomical
cycles with timekeeping averages,eventually somebody is going to have
to look at the actual principles which transfer the average 24 hour
day to daily rotation as a constant or the rotation of the equatorial
diameter at a rate of 15 degrees and 1669.8 km per hour and a full
40,075 km rotation in 24 hours,a good place to start is Harrison
himself on page 90-91 -

http://books.google.ie/books?id=8roA...emarks&f=false

A contemporary view is that precession may not be a result of 'tilt'
but a consequence of the orbital motion of the Earth or rather,a
consequence of a cycle greater than the annual orbital motion of the
Earth,possibly the solar system's galactic orbital motion,whatever it
is,you ain't going to appreciate it with Maskelyne's conception of
using right ascension to explain planetary dynamics and it is time for
people to grow out of this view which even your King once thought as
unconscionable.

x-posted to uk.sci.astronomy because there are those there who I think
would know.

Martin

Indeed !,there are many ancestors of Flamsteed's equatorial coordinate
system applied to planetary dynamics and you probably have no idea
just how dismal that situation actually is probably as anti-
astronomical as you can get,certainly worst than flat Earthers.
Old January 1st 10, 01:33 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
Steve Firth

On 2009-12-31, Steve Firth wrote:

That makes me groan as much as all those BBC documentaries in which some
knob flies halfway around the world in order to wring his hands about
the stupidity of flying halfway around the world.

I particularly liked the middle aged lady in the Toyota Pius, sitting outside
the farm shop on Xmas Eve with the engine running in order to keep warm. Point
spectacularly missed, IMO.

I followed one of those home yesterday. I suppose it's no coincidence
that Prius drivers seem to be right up there for driving talent
alongside those who have a fish badge on the back of their car. This one
stuck behind someone bimbling down a rural 'A' road at 45 mph. There
aren't many opportunities for overtaking and whenever the road did open
up Prius man drove astride the white line preventing me from overtaking,
but failing to do so himself.

At every corner both cars ahead of me coasted through the corners -
that's for the ones where they didn't brake at or just after the apex.
When the 45mph car turned off Prius man flogged his engine as hard as he
could, and I reckon he steamed away from me at about 80-85mph. So his
vehicle had been capable of overtaking. He then had to slam on the
anchors for the traffic lights, accelerated away from those as hard as
he could, got into a twisty section and slowed right down since he
seemed to be frightened by corners. The last I sw of him he was caning
it through the village where I live (40 limit) and didn't seem inclined
to slow down for the speed limit at all.

Again, seemed to be missing the point with his divot antics. I presume
he finds the Prius more economical than other cars because if he'd
driven a conventional car that way he'd have been wasting fuel.
Old January 1st 10, 03:55 PM posted to uk.misc,uk.sci.astronomy
Fevric J. Glandules

Steve Firth wrote:

I followed one of those home yesterday. I suppose it's no coincidence
that Prius drivers seem to be right up there for driving talent
alongside those who have a fish badge on the back of their car.

I thought the point about fish badge drivers wasn't so much "driving
talent" as the complete absence of any sort of "do unto others" on
the roads.