Slugs, kilograms, pounds and newtons

Old May 1st 05, 01:08 PM
Double-A

Default Slugs, kilograms, pounds and newtons

Don1 wrote:
Double-A wrote:
Don1 wrote:
One slug is the mass of matter that requires 32.174 pounds of

force
give it an acceleration of 32.174 feet/second/second; which

reduces
mathematically to 1 slug = 1 pound sec^2/foot.

One kilogram is the mass of matter that requires 9.81 newtons of

force
to give it an acceleration of 9.81 meters/second/second; which

reduces
mathematically to 1 kilogram = 1 newton sec^2/meter.

In their _own systems_ of measure - here on Earth's surface;

where
is
the acceleration of free fall - the slug, and the kilogram are

both
numerically equal to g/g, and a pound, and a newton of force are

both
equal to1/g.

Don

Don, when are we going to get back to the true definition of a

pound?
A true pound is defined as equal to 7000 grains, and each grain is
equal to an English grown barleycorn!

Enough of this politically correct, French-loving definition of
.45359237 kilograms. The English barleycorn is the standard in our
system!

It's time we stopped kowtowing to the French and returned to the

roots
of our own system of measure.

Any conversion factor between two truly independent systems of

measure
should always be an irrational number!

By the way, Don, how many scruples are there in a dram?

Double-A

That depends on the alcohol content; usually the more alky consumed,
the less are the scruples.

Don

A good point, Don. That brings up the subject of how important the
barleycorn is to the making of some of our favorite alcoholic beverages
such as scotch and bourbon. Truly a noble grain!

I think we should maintain our own standard barleycorn in an archive at
our Bureau of Standards, just as the French have their standard
kilogram in Paris.

Seven thousand standard barleycorns do a standard American pound make.

No better way to exercise our independence from France than by
establishing our own standards.

What do you think, Don?

"Then let us toast John Barleycorn,
Each man a glass in hand;